Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Never seen fly ash in presflos before; my local workings were from Aberthaw power station to various sites during the M5 build across the Somerset Levels in MGR hoppers, with double headed 37s.

The Presflos on the Flyash flows in the Midlands was usually in the 12"6"WB Presflos which were mainly air braked.

• RMweb Premium

Never seen fly ash in presflos before; my local workings were from Aberthaw power station to various sites during the M5 build across the Somerset Levels in MGR hoppers, with double headed 37s.

There was a dedicated diagram of 'stretched' PRESFLOs specifically for fly ash - very common around Peterborough.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ratcliffe on Soar photos, with a good number of Peaks to be seen. And in J5334, in June, 1976, the unit is a class 116. And what a fine sight HST 254001 makes in the last photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Trains at Ratcliffe on Soar today which is between Trent and Loughborough.

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Class 47 up fly ash May 75 J4317.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 47 up fly ash May 75 J4317.

David,

Consulting my records for 1975, the only occurrence of 6Z73 that I have logged was on Saturday 24th May 1975 (which would have been Bank Holiday weekend), when the locomotive working this additional from Ratcliffe to Fletton was 47 330 - seen passing Peterborough at around 10:45, if any of that is of help.

Regards.

Edited by 35A

J4153 the trains looks like it is almost completely tubes, some sheeted (badly) and a bogie wagon in the middle carrying a load I cannot quite make out. Zooming in, I cannot tell if there is some other type of wagons mixed in towards the rear, but it is running as either unfitted or with a fitted head as the brake van on the rear is a giveaway. I wonder if this has come from Corby steelworks?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Didcot photo’s. How sad 1466 looks in C4522. It would be a good modelling project. The Bottesford and Radcliffe on Trent photo’s are as inspiring as always. The first two are great memories of how the summer extras to Skegness used to be until Sprinters came and changed everything. It’s always so good to see 20’s double heading the summer extras.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

From the archives:  20 163 is shown as paired with 20 172 on 1E85/1M47 (the Burton-upon-Trent - Skegness & return) on 1st August 1983, 20 177 is shown as paired with 20 192 on the same train on 4th August. In both images the second loco pictured is from the 1967 batch (headcode panels, 20 129 onwards).

None of those locos appear in the archives on any other day in the month of August.

However, there are no records for Fridays 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th (were these trains FX - I can't remember?), nor Saturday 6th or 20th. Both trains are recorded for every other day of the month and normally a pair of locos would appear for several days at a time - so make of that what you will!

...However, there are no records for Fridays 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th (were these trains FX - I can't remember?), nor Saturday 6th or 20th. Both trains are recorded for every other day of the month and normally a pair of locos would appear for several days at a time - so make of that what you will!

Pretty sure the "Skeggies" were FX, at least in the early 80s (incl. 83) when I was in Leicester.

A few photos taken between 1969 and 1976 at Derby and Borrowash for this afternoon.

attachicon.gifDerby June 69 J1768.jpg

Derby June 69 J1768

David

A rare shot showing off the purpley- brown colour that was used for a while for coaching stock underframes (including DMUs, IIRC) in the late 1960s/early 1970s. It was presumably intended to make brake dust and other contamination less visible, but didn't work that well. I even saw a re-bodied 16t mineral carrying it. When I painted some models with it, I found 'Caledonian Railway Purple' was a reasonable match.

C5623. I know that I am being completely sentimental, but the GN&LNWR closure was a very sad occasion. I'm sure that a through Northampton to Doncaster service would have been quite useful these days; not to mention a diversionary route in the case of emergencies, even if it might involve diesel drags. 

Pretty sure the "Skeggies" were FX, at least in the early 80s (incl. 83) when I was in Leicester.

You'd have been around at the same time as me, then. I was there from Sept '82 to July '83.

That's a lovely shot of the CCT, David - I remember them being dragged around by Class 120 Swindon Cross-Country units, on Norwich - Birmingham trains, circa 1970/1971.

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Gold

C6158: what colour are those locos under the grime? It look more like dark brown than blue. If one weathered a model like that one would be accused of over-egging it.

Jonathan

They really were blue, but they were not as dirty as some I saw.

David

• RMweb Gold

From the archives:  20 163 is shown as paired with 20 172 on 1E85/1M47 (the Burton-upon-Trent - Skegness & return) on 1st August 1983, 20 177 is shown as paired with 20 192 on the same train on 4th August. In both images the second loco pictured is from the 1967 batch (headcode panels, 20 129 onwards).

None of those locos appear in the archives on any other day in the month of August.

However, there are no records for Fridays 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th (were these trains FX - I can't remember?), nor Saturday 6th or 20th. Both trains are recorded for every other day of the month and normally a pair of locos would appear for several days at a time - so make of that what you will!

Thanks for this.

I don't think they are the 1st and 4th Aug 83 as I had already taken 45 railway photos in August before I took the one of 20163 and I visited at last 6 other locations, each of which would usually have been a different day, after 20163 and before I took the of 20177.

So the actual dates are a bit of a mystery.

David