Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Derby and Borrowash photo’s. As stated, the CCT in the first photo’ makes a fine sight. And in the last photo’ at Borrowash, the class 104 DMU maybe has a broken ventilator in the TCL near to the toilet compartment. It’s that little bit of white that can just be seen, where it may have been broken.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

And the Post Office moggie!

Funny you mention that, it was the first thing that caught my eye. The second being that it has twin fog lights fitted, which was very unusual, as the GPO specified that one only could be fitted for rural rounds... And another way you can tell that that van is used on a rural round is that the numberplate is mounted on the grill above the bumper, not below it. That reminds me that I must move the numberplate on my engineers van to that position!

Andy G

• Like 1

Thanks for this.

I don't think they are the 1st and 4th Aug 83 as I had already taken 45 railway photos in August before I took the one of 20163 and I visited at last 6 other locations, each of which would usually have been a different day, after 20163 and before I took the of 20177.

So the actual dates are a bit of a mystery.

David

For completeness, I've checked the September archive and neither loco appeared during that month, on the few days at the end of the season that the trains ran, so I then went back to July - just on the off-chance that both 20 163 and 20 177 had worked on a common day and in case there might have been a dating issue. However, 20 177 only worked on a couple of days at the beginning of July and then not again that month.

20 163, however, was very active, from Sunday 24th July to the end of the month. On 24th it worked 1E28/1M83 Derby - Skegness and return, with 20 172 (the same loco that it was paired with into August);  on the 25th they worked 1E86/1M22 Leicester - Skegness and return;  on 26th they were back on 1E85/1M47, the weekday Derby trains;  on 27th they worked 1E04/1M07, which were unadvertised reliefs from/to Derby;  on 28th & 30th they were on the Leicester trains again;  finally, on 31st, they were on 1E26/1M88, the Sunday Leicester trains.

All of which is very informative but doesn't really get us anywhere! My only other suggestion is that perhaps you were out on Saturday 20th August - the only day later in the month that there are no records for - and that they happened to be used on that day alone.

• RMweb Gold

For completeness, I've checked the September archive and neither loco appeared during that month, on the few days at the end of the season that the trains ran, so I then went back to July - just on the off-chance that both 20 163 and 20 177 had worked on a common day and in case there might have been a dating issue. However, 20 177 only worked on a couple of days at the beginning of July and then not again that month.

20 163, however, was very active, from Sunday 24th July to the end of the month. On 24th it worked 1E28/1M83 Derby - Skegness and return, with 20 172 (the same loco that it was paired with into August);  on the 25th they worked 1E86/1M22 Leicester - Skegness and return;  on 26th they were back on 1E85/1M47, the weekday Derby trains;  on 27th they worked 1E04/1M07, which were unadvertised reliefs from/to Derby;  on 28th & 30th they were on the Leicester trains again;  finally, on 31st, they were on 1E26/1M88, the Sunday Leicester trains.

All of which is very informative but doesn't really get us anywhere! My only other suggestion is that perhaps you were out on Saturday 20th August - the only day later in the month that there are no records for - and that they happened to be used on that day alone.

Thanks for researching this.

20177 could well have been seen on the 20th, as it was taken shortly before I left Mum and Dad's to return to Northumberland.

Every time I caption the early 80s photos I wished 'd noted the date as well as the month, which I usually did in later years.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photos. The units were always at their best in that original livery, looking solid and purposeful. I see in the first photo' that bullhead rail was still in use. I believe that the existing track was used instead of relaying the system with new track.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photos. The units were always at their best in that original livery, looking solid and purposeful. I see in the first photo' that bullhead rail was still in use. I believe that the existing track was used instead of relaying the system with new track.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The track in Shiremoor station was only replaced about three years ago from the original that was inherited from BR in 1977!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like today's photo's. I hope the football supporters were well behaved on that class 310 EMU, 310070 in C4167. Back in the '70's there was such trouble with football supporters, but they are not quite so bad these days. I like the ''special engine'' in the last photo'. I hope we might see a model of it one day ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

ECML again today with a selection of locations and dates.

All the photos were taken between Peterborough and Grantham.

attachicon.gifLolham Class 47 up Feb 74 C1480.jpg

Lolham Class 47 up Feb 74 C1480

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 47 up 08.50 Bradford to Kings X Nov 72 C1167.jpg

Swayfield Class 47 up 08.50 Bradford to Kings X Nov 72 C1167

attachicon.gifCorby Glen Class 33 up l e April 63 J031.jpg

Corby Glen Class 33 up l e April 63 J031

attachicon.gifHigh Dyke Class 47 1581 07.05 Darlington to Kings X Class 31 behind May 73 C1262.jpg

High Dyke Class 47 1581 07.05 Darlington to Kings X Class 31 behind May 73 C1262

attachicon.gifGrantham Class 55 up 14.10 Newcastle to Kings X Oct 73 C1422.jpg

Grantham Class 55 up 14.10 Newcastle to Kings X Oct 73 C1422

David

Hi Dave,

J031 is an excellent photo in so many ways; the location, the loco, the trainspotters, the infrastructure, the atmosphere - a real gem!

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photos, which are a great selection that show the line from times which are now long gone. In C1262, at High Dyke, with Class 47 1581, on the 07.05 Darlington to Kings Cross, I see behind the MK1 restaurant cars is what looks like an early MK2 TSO. I wonder if it was replacing a Mk2d car?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about fans on the way home from matches, but a couple of times between Birmingham and Derby on a Saturday morning i have had the company of large numbers of fans, already well past the limit for driving and still opening cans, but on the whole though they have been noisy there has been no trouble. I also travelled from Port Talbot to Cardiff on the day of the Spain/Italy match last year. The train was fortunately only patronised by one nation and they were better behaved than the locals. And when we left Cardiff for home the match had yet to start so all was quiet, though they terminated the train we intended to catch short to send it back to Cardiff to form an extra, so we were an hour late home.

Back to Dave's photos, is that a CWR expansion joint in C1167?

And isn't the class 33 rather a long way from home?

Jonathan

And isn't the class 33 rather a long way from home?

The class 33s (as they later became known) or B.R.C.&W. Co. Type 3s (if you prefer) were introduced onto the ECML during the 1960s to work the Cliffe to York leg of the Cliffe - Uddingston cement train. Strangely enough, a friend only sent me (last week) a picture of one stabled on New England, from 1963, which (I think) might have been a crew trainer for that diagram. Use of 33s on the train had been discontinued by 1969, when the ubiquitous 47s took over.

I don't recall ever seeing a 33 on that train, post early 1970, which ran as 6S45 northbound. I'm not sure what time the southbound train ran but I never saw it! I do remember, however, coming out of King's Cross one night in 1972, in the mid-evening twilight, and passing D6591 at Harringay, at the head of a car train. Later in the 1970s the Spalding flower parade traffic also used a 33 and stock, having previously been a pair of 6-car Hastings line DEMUs every year. On one occasion the stock was worked ECS to Nene Sidings and the 33 sat on Peterborough stabling point all afternoon.

• RMweb Premium

Back to Dave's photos, is that a CWR expansion joint in C1167?

No, it's a set of catch points.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

C7500 is interesting; I’ve never seen a picture of a Railfreight grey 56 with the BR logo in the middle and an offset nameplate. It was normally the other way around. A one-off perhaps?

• RMweb Premium

C7500 is interesting; I’ve never seen a picture of a Railfreight grey 56 with the BR logo in the middle and an offset nameplate. It was normally the other way around. A one-off perhaps?

Yes, it was a one off - last built 56135. Presumably it was following the lead of the class 58s with their central arrows, before someone decided that the livery should follow the layout of the established "large logo" scheme.

When it was named 'Port of Tyne Authority' Gateshead depot staff thought it ought to be spruced up a bit, but they had no grey paint in stock. Several local car paint suppliers were visited and the results mixed together until a colour approximating that already on the loco was achieved!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it was a one off - last built 56135. Presumably it was following the lead of the class 58s with their central arrows, before someone decided that the livery should follow the layout of the established "large logo" scheme.

When it was named 'Port of Tyne Authority' Gateshead depot staff thought it ought to be spruced up a bit, but they had no grey paint in stock. Several local car paint suppliers were visited and the results mixed together until a colour approximating that already on the loco was achieved!

I thought 56135 was released from Crewe Works new in railfreight grey, not a depot repaint. Class 58s were already being released by Doncaster Works (in railfreight grey) by then.

• RMweb Premium

I thought 56135 was released from Crewe Works new in railfreight grey, not a depot repaint. Class 58s were already being released by Doncaster Works (in railfreight grey) by then.

Yes, it entered service in Railfreight grey, but had become a bit work-stained by the time of its naming, so a depot level freshen up was thought appropriate.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cambois photo's, and I can't help but notice all those brake vans in C5115, in July, 1980. I wonder if they were all to be scrapped?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1