Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

J670; thought I recognised that headcode.  Wonder if the loco worked through; 45s worked to Cardiff in those days were on the rare side, enough to cause minor excitement on the platform ends among us spotters, as Canton did not yet have traction knowledge of the type, a situation which would not last much longer!  This train has family connections, as the remnant of the 'Ports to Ports Express' which plied it's trade in pre-grouping days and the inter-war years between Barry and North Shields, merchant seamen and officers transferring between ships being a major part of the clientele.  It sported a full restaurant service with a very high standard of breakfast.

My great uncle Ted was a steward on the GW rake's restaurant car after coming out of the army catering corps demobbed after WW1.  Ted was something of a character, who regaled me as a child with war stories of how he blew up Hill 60, or shot down the Red Baron, or invented the tank on the back of a packet of Woodbines and sent it to Field Marshall Haig; in short, how he won the war singled handed.  In fact he never got further than Aldershot or saw a shot fired in even a fit of pique, never mind anger, though of course he may have killed more of our own soldiers than most Germans did.

But he had the gift of the gab, and a streak of criminality in his very soul that I later found was shared by all railway catering staff.  He worked the Ports to Ports 'double home', out on one day, book off in Newcastle, lodgings overnight and work the precursor of the train in the photograph back home the following day while a Newcastle crew worked the balancing working with NER stock.  It was a long working day; the train left Barry at 7.30 ish but worked down ecs from Canton while breakfast was being prepared, and the car had to be cleaned and supplied before it went off shed. then of course cleaned ready for the following day's work while being worked back ecs from North Shields to Gateshead.  His lodging arrangements turned into a bigamous marriage with the landlady, and the day she turned up in Cardiff with a couple of kids in tow to be seen off by great aunt Julia with an umbrella is family legend, though before my time,

This was the end of his railway career on Julia's orders, which you disobeyed at your peril, and he subsequently developed a professional bad back as insurance in case he was ever asked to do any work.  He supported himself with the dole and money raised by becoming a bookie's runner; in those days there were no high street betting shops and off-course betting on horses was highly illegal, which never prevented it and media reporting of race meetings was endemic.  Bookie's runners went around collecting illegal bets, delivering them to the bookie in some dodgy pub where they awaited the results of the days action, and distributed the winnings. the bookie bought the beer and the winners tipped him.  He and Julia lived rent free in our house.

I would be allowed to accompany him on Saturdays as a child, bets being picked up from various shops on his rounds which finished at Cardiff General.  I would be furnished with ice cream from a stall in Cardiff Market, and we would often go home with fish, meat, flowers, and I was never short of shoes.  We would be on the station for the highlight of my day, the 10.00 departure of the Red Dragon that still gets my heart racing at the sight of a clean Britaania.  I would sometimes be left in the care of the driver of the down side pilot, usually a 94xx, for an hour or so while Ted went off on business of what I was not wont to wot of and collected later; this involved a transfer of vans from the Riveside sidings to the up side and I would be picked up on the up side on the 'fish dock'. 

I remember the old rogue with a huge degree of fondness, and blame him for my interest in railways; he was a lifelong enthusiast himself!

Hello Johnster, what a wonderful story - thanks so much for posting, has made my morning! Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photos. The first photo' is a great view of 318268 on test in April, 1987. And in J8869, class 108 DTSL, M54247 in green, in April 1987, has a carriage crest which was not carried by trailer cars in BR green day's. There are other livery quirks to be seen on it too, including the small yellow panel, which did not wrap around the cab sides as in that repaint.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Another nice set of ECML photos David. thank you for sharing. Certainly have captured a "mixed freight" in shot J3646. I didn't realise those type of grain wagons traversed the southern end of the ECML?. I'm going to have a stab at identifying the 47/4 in shot C1701 as  47457? as it that is how the numbers read to my eyes.It was also one of the few in the high 474xx number range to retain its boiler, as seen by the fact it still carries a steam heat bag.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Sandy and Peterborough photos. In C1699, with a class 101, on a Peterborough to Norwich service, 27th July, 1974, I think the unit will be one of the three car sets transferred to replace the Derby Lightweights (yellow diamond coupling code, never TOPS classified).

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Another nice set of ECML photos David. thank you for sharing. Certainly have captured a "mixed freight" in shot J3646. I didn't realise those type of grain wagons traversed the southern end of the ECML?.

Paul J.

Likewise, although I knew they worked into East Anglia. Sandy had a large grain silo so perhaps this is a trip to load there.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Another nice set of ECML photos David. thank you for sharing. Certainly have captured a "mixed freight" in shot J3646. I didn't realise those type of grain wagons traversed the southern end of the ECML?. I'm going to have a stab at identifying the 47/4 in shot C1701 as  47457? as it that is how the numbers read to my eyes.It was also one of the few in the high 474xx number range to retain its boiler, as seen by the fact it still carries a steam heat bag.

Paul J.

They were very common in the yard at Sandy at that time, as were BR standard grain wagons (and sometimes late surviving ex LNER ones) - both types were later replaced by Polybulks.  In that area grain traffic was also handled at Royston, but not sure whether that was fed via Hitchin or via Cambridge.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That’s a lovely set of photos of the line between Arnside and the Solway Firth. The units in the first two at Arnside look so small when running over the viaduct.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Toton, Trent and Meadow Lane level crossing, photo’s, which are all full of atmosphere. In particular, the one at Trent, of a class 25 on a parcels train to Nottingham from Derby, in October, 1975, in C2503. Then there is the class 120, at Meadow Lane level crossing, on a Derby to Nottingham train, in January, 1979, in C4258. So wintry in the snow and ice.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo's. They are full interest, and in the one at Edinburgh Waverley, with a class 26, and a  class 101 DMU, along with a class 08, in August, 1973,photo' J3258. The DMU in the immediate foreground looks most interesting. It certainly has a Cravens, class 105, DTCL leading, but then there is a bit of a mystery. The next car, of which the roof only can be seen, is quite enigmatic! It, on enlarging the photo', and referring to numerous books, and other photo's, does not have roof vents that match up with any class of first generation DMU. I can only suggest it might be a real lash up, with something like a Mk1 BG, but that then asks a question. What would be powering those two non powered vehicles? Whatever it was will remain forever unknown since it cannot be seen, being below the photographer, in the tunnel below him.

With warmest regards,

Rob.