Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Sewstern photo’s, which show a good variety of stock. Interesting to see the tumblehome on the former LMS sleeping car. That’s really some bulge!

The L.T.&S.R. photo’s are fantastic, and convey so well, as always, the solid reliability of the class 302 units.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford and Radcliffe on Trent on the Grantham to Nottingham line photo’s. So full of interest and most atmospheric. C5584, at Bottesford, is so atmospheric, and would make a splendid painting. The low sun, reflecting off the sides of the class 114 DMU, has been captured perfectly by your camera.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

C5577 looks like someone hasn't the confidence to weather a loco yet, having gone somewhat overboard on the stock.

For October that rake can't have seen a wash plant for a couple of months.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

C5584 manufacturers please note the correct level of illumination for headcode boxes - dull yellow 40w bulbs, not blazing white LED searchlights! :)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Stockton and Thornaby photo's. What a difference between the class 101 DMU's and the class 143 railbus. The footbridge in C7689, at Stockton looking north on 29th July, 1986 is a fine example of design and engineering.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

What a difference between the class 101 DMU's and the class 143 railbus. 

Rob.

Well the Class 101 is a train and the Class 143 is a, er :scratchhead: , a Bus!

Nuf sed!

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I moved away from the Teesside in 1977, so never saw Stockton station after it had it's roof removed.  Photo C7691 demonstrates how a great and historic station was decimated to save money.  I'm sure there are many similar examples around the network.

Dave, do you have a picture of Stockton taken with the roof intact? 

• RMweb Gold

I moved away from the Teesside in 1977, so never saw Stockton station after it had it's roof removed.  Photo C7691 demonstrates how a great and historic station was decimated to save money.  I'm sure there are many similar examples around the network.

Dave, do you have a picture of Stockton taken with the roof intact? 

I've had a look at Dad's photos as he did visit the area in 1975 but didn't take any of the station.  I didn't go there until the mid 80s so was much too late.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Nice bit of nostalgia with the dismantled lines. Thanks for posting, as always.

Re: J 5938 Boddam

Is it possible that image is reversed?

I like to look on Google Earth to see have things have changed in the intervening years since your visits, however I can't match that picture.

The best I can do is this:

https://goo.gl/maps/xs7jKUyBBSA2

The station would be on the right where "Buchan Braes" currently stands but the house positions are reversed compared with your photo.

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s. They capture the beauty of the Scottish landscape so well. The second photo’ of Benderloch, J3864, in July, 1974, is so atmospheric. Hard to believe the Ballachulish branch line used to run past that area.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Nice bit of nostalgia with the dismantled lines. Thanks for posting, as always.

Re: J 5938 Boddam

Is it possible that image is reversed?

I like to look on Google Earth to see have things have changed in the intervening years since your visits, however I can't match that picture.

The best I can do is this:

https://goo.gl/maps/xs7jKUyBBSA2

The station would be on the right where "Buchan Braes" currently stands but the house positions are reversed compared with your photo.

Cheers

Keith

It is the right way round.

It's one of Dad's photos, I don't think I've ever been to Boddam (I certainly haven't got a photo there).  So it's taken me a little while to track down where he was standing.  He should really have walked further up the road, to the top of the hill to see the station site.

The photo is taken from further along the road in the Google Earth VIew, looking up Seaview Road towards Station Road.

It was taken from beyond the furthest car in the Google earth image in your post, looking towards where the Google image was taken.

I think it just about shows the station site in the very far distance on the left.

David

• RMweb Premium

It is the right way round.

It's one of Dad's photos, I don't think I've ever been to Boddam (I certainly haven't got a photo there).  So it's taken me a little while to track down where he was standing.  He should really have walked further up the road, to the top of the hill to see the station site.

The photo is taken from further along the road in the Google Earth VIew, looking up Seaview Road towards Station Road.

It was taken from beyond the furthest car in the Google earth image in your post, looking towards where the Google image was taken.

I think it just about shows the station site in the very far distance on the left.

David

Thanks Dave

I assumed, not knowing what the station buildings looked like that that was it on the immediate left.

I did try looking the other way from further up (down?) the road on Google Earth and the station would hardly have been in view (if at all), hence my query.

I used an old OS map for reference of the station site.

Cheers

Keith

EDIT so I reckon the photo is about here:

https://goo.gl/maps/MyaDjDX1ouw

The station would be beyond the hump in the road and the house with chimneys each end of the ridge (in the distance).

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave

I assumed, not knowing what the station buildings looked like that that was it on the immediate left.

I did try looking the other way from further up (down?) the road on Google Earth and the station would hardly have been in view (if at all), hence my query.

I used an old OS map for reference of the station site.

Cheers

Keith

EDIT so I reckon the photo is about here:

https://goo.gl/maps/MyaDjDX1ouw

The station would be beyond the hump in the road and the house with chimneys each end of the ridge (in the distance).

That's what I think too - so I'm not sure it is really a "railway" photo!

David

• RMweb Gold

C7391 - directly above, could equally sit in the 'Prototype for Everything' thread.

How did it end up like that?

The building and canopy are on the original very low platform.  The later raised platform is out of shot to the left.

Remember that when this line was built railways were still very new and the later customs and practisc for station design etc hadn't been developed.

David

Edited by DaveF