Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

C711: how common was a Deltic running light engine (apart from depot to station)?

Bill

As Paul says, not that common - but, in that location, you would occasionally see one running light from Finsbury Park down to Doncaster, for works attention, if there was a power unit issue or if the loco was due for works. The reverse also applied to ex-works locos.

Likewise, occasionally one would come off at Peterborough. If it was a minor defect, like a windscreen wiper or electrics, that could be fixed by the engineer on the maintenance shed, then the loco would normally be despatched light engine (usually 0B02) south, ASAP. Sometimes the loco would require a test run and would go up to the yard, pick up a rake of Vanfits and run down to Cripple Sidings (alongside the old East station) and back, before heading off home.

In the early Seventies it was a reasonably regular occurrence for an ex-works Deltic to do its test run piloting 1E11 (the 12:00 off Waverley) from Doncaster to Peterborough, where it would be detached and would return light engine to Doncaster, for sign-off. With that being a Deltic working itself, it would provide the (always exciting) sight of a double-headed Deltic!

Edited by 35A
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Tyneside photo’s. They are full of interest, and you always got such a great view from the castle keep. In the first photo’ at Derwenthaugh coke works, with 08370, in January, 1984, the 08 looks quite at home shunting those hopper wagons. And the photo’ is quite atmospheric in the low January sun, with the leaning pole and smoking chimney adding to the effects.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Isn't that rail taxi an Isetta rather than a Morris?

How many of those exhibits are now running?

Andy G

It is indeed based on an Isetta but it was rebuilt by  R P Morris into a rail vehicle in 1967, hence the caption.

The original car dates from 1957.

Known History

1957 : Built as a B.M.W “Isetta” bubble car (no. A10404) in the former London, Brighton & South Coast

Railway workshop building at Brighton.

July 1966 : Acquired by R.P Morris, who duly converted it for rail use at Longfield, Kent

1968 : Operated on the Leighton Buzzard Light Railway, Beds.

1969 : Footage of it operating at Leighton Buzzard featured in the I.T.V programme ‘Magpie’

May 1970 : Operated on the Wychwood Light Railway, near Leamington Spa

https://starodobnik.net/forum/index.php?/topic/8422-bmw-isetta-300-rail-taxi/

So it has nothing to do with Morris Motors.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Gloddfa Ganol, Blaenau Ffestiniog, photo’s. Such a remarkable collection of engines and stock to be seen.

That’s a great set of GE photo’s, and so full of interest. In the one of Church Lane Crossing, with 309602, on a Clacton to Liverpool Street express, in December, 1976, in C3124, you can see how the front was changed when the windscreens were modified. And I know the modifications were carried out on many other classes of units too, including classes 310, and 312.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks once more for the pics Dave. I love the Great Eastern ones , brings back many memories :-)

Steve.

Made me feel home sick.  :( 

Lovely photos.

J4070, what a wonderful chance encounter of two sets of 309s passing each other. 

Depending on the time of day the Down one could be running about 7 to 10 minutes late. Most of the hourly timetable had both Up and Down trains arriving at Witham on the half hour for many years.

On the day of my first wedding I had my family traveling from London and about three sets friends coming from Colchester with both trains arriving on the half hour. The wedding was in the registry office in Braintree I had to marshal them all on to the Braintree branch train.Thankfully the London one was late, so I had time to round up the Colchester groups before the arrival of my family. I had instructed my family to get on the fifth coach, the one past the two yellow ends. No they were on the end coach. As they walked down the platform I said "Oh No!!", and my mate Nigel remarked "Is that your mum in the green hat?", he had never met my mum. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the High Dyke and branch photo’s. All so full of interest, and the first one of High Dyke, with HST 254019, on a Kings Cross to Newcastle express in that very cold February, 1979, brings back many memories.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

J6391.

A very depressing piece of flat featureless land in the background.

Mike.

I'd challenge you to get on a pushbike and ride from there towards Liecester and then tell me it's flat......

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I needed to ring 111, I was very impressed that in just under five minutes from dialling I had a provisional diagnosis and an appointment for 9am at my local GP practice.  By 9.15 today the diagnosis was confirmed, it is now a case of wait and see if anything changes before deciding if surgery is needed in due course

Now for today's photos.

David

Hope the medical problems are sorted quickly, always good to hear that 111 works. The photos as usual are of interest and to your, and your father's, usual high standard for which all your followers thank you.