Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Doncaster photo’s, they are incredibly nostalgic. Just like I remember the station from the late seventies. In the last photo’, on the extreme left, a Cravens DMU can just be made out, and I see, on enlarging the photo’, that it is coupled up to a class 123 Inter City unit. You tell what class of unit it is from the wrap round cab end window which is just visible, and the guards van at that end of the car. Finally the cab side window is indisputably that of a class 123.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

This afternoon we head north along the ECML in Northumberland, starting at Morpeth.

attachicon.gifUlgham Lane crossing 143001 Alnmouth to Newcastle 21st June 86 C7586.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 143001 Alnmouth to Newcastle 21st June 86 C7586

David

That Rover did well, its last tax ran out in 1999. It must have been nearly brand new when that picture was taken

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures today, David. What a contrast in the external condition of the two 47s in J2924 and J5621. You can hardly see the loco's double arrow or number in the latter picture.

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the fantastic set of photo’s of Grantham. They convey well the way the station was back in those two decades and bring back many memories of journeys along the ECML. That photo’ as mentioned, J5621, is a great guide to weathering a class 47 in the winter months, and I may well make good use of it - I have a blue 47, and it needs weathering. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Comparing J2924 with C6289, with both being taken from almost the same viewpoint over 11 years apart, the only thing that is the same appears to be the platform canopy valance, which doesn't appear to have been repainted in all that time as the weathering looks almost identical. Nearly everything else has been updated (train, lighting and signage), removed (signalbox) or is new (housing in the distance). Great photos as usual, thanks.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Re those two photos of Grantham, interesting to see that the platforms  have been renumbered. If the change had happened more recently I suspect that the remaining platforms would have retained the same numbers because of the complications of updating dozens of computer systems - vide the numerous Platform 0s that have appeared in recent years.

Jonathan

Re those two photos of Grantham, interesting to see that the platforms  have been renumbered. If the change had happened more recently I suspect that the remaining platforms would have retained the same numbers because of the complications of updating dozens of computer systems - vide the numerous Platform 0s that have appeared in recent years.

Jonathan

What if they need another platform and they already have a Platform 0? Perhaps we will see a genuine Platform 9¾ at KX?

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some nice “sparky” shots today, David. It looks like the first class passengers were well provided for at the time on the WCML; at least two of the trains pictured have four first class carriages.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the WCML photo’s south of Rugby at Hillmorton. Interesting to see the expresses being formed of air con Mk2 stock before the Mk3 stock was introduced. The second photo, J4475, is a great one of a short parcels train hauled by the class 85. Not all trains are long ones.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

what are all those masts for?

It was where the Rugby time signal (60Khz) was transmitted from, amongst lots of other signals all around the Empire.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

GPO/ BT Rugby Radio station, details of what it was and did are here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Radio_Station

I used to work for BT/GPO and had contact with one of the guys there who said that the airborne radiation around the site was so high that you could hold a fluorescent tube in one hand and it would glow!

Dread to think what it did for the body's organs!

The time signal these days comes from Anthorn, Cumbria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthorn_Radio_Station

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
I used to work for BT/GPO and had contact with one of the guys there who said that the airborne radiation around the site was so high that you could hold a fluorescent tube in one hand and it would glow!

You could do that "demonstration" at most of the LF & MF Transmitter sites.

Regards, Ian.

Some nice “sparky” shots today, David. It looks like the first class passengers were well provided for at the time on the WCML; at least two of the trains pictured have four first class carriages.

Including J4475? :)

That always amazed me while spotting on New Street station. There were 3 or 4 first class carriages being shuttled up and down the line to Euston every 30 minutes and most of them were completely empty outside rush hour periods. 

I always wondered how the BR accountants could justify this; although in those days the senior managements had delusions of capturing all the businessmen from the internal airlines. I suppose they had to have the capacity, just in case a miracle happened. 

• RMweb Premium

That always amazed me while spotting on New Street station. There were 3 or 4 first class carriages being shuttled up and down the line to Euston every 30 minutes and most of them were completely empty outside rush hour periods. 

I always wondered how the BR accountants could justify this; although in those days the senior managements had delusions of capturing all the businessmen from the internal airlines. I suppose they had to have the capacity, just in case a miracle happened. 

They could justify it as the business passengers paid for them in the busy periods.

As the trains were fixed formations what do you do with them at other times?

At the weekends they did "Weekend First" upgrade from standard class for a nominal figure. Extra income for seats that would otherwise be empty

I travelled on what was known as the "Executive" from Brum to Coventry on many occasions and the First Class was always full

keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it was Daventry transmitting station (used by the BBC to transmit to the whole country).

They have apparently been taken down now

I lived in Daventry in the 70s. My dad went into the local electrical shop to enquire about a stereo to pick up the new FM radio stations that were being launched, he was told not to bother as the FM signal from the nearby transmitter on the hill went straight over the top of the town.

Back then the local rec opposite the cinema had an old 0-6-0ST to play on. Anyone know what happened to that?

Dave