Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from the north and south of the Tyne. In C6446, at Tyne Commission Quay, on the 30th March, 1984, it can be seen the state things had got into. A far cry from the old days when the boat trains would run through to the station.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photo's. In particular C6391 at West Monkseaton Metro, with a Heworth to St James service, in January, 1984.

I must ask, though, having taken some photo's on Scarborough station this afternoon, why it's not permitted to take photo's on any Metro property. Is it terrorism concerns, for that's the only thing I can think that of.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photo's. In particular C6391 at West Monkseaton Metro, with a Heworth to St James service, in January, 1984.

I must ask, though, having taken some photo's on Scarborough station this afternoon, why it's not permitted to take photo's on any Metro property. Is it terrorism concerns, for that's the only thing I can think that of.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hello Rob, not sure why photography is banned; they have the following on their website which looks more like commercial issues than any concerns about terrorism etc;

https://nexus.org.uk/metro/guide-metro/photography-filming-and-advertising

Excellent photos from Dave by the way! I always plan to take some pictures when visiting the North East since some of the stations (e.g Tynemouth!) are very photogenic.

Best wishes, Andy

Today's photos are probably best described as being north and south of the Tyne.

For those not fortunate enough to know the north east Stella North and South power stations were on the north and south banks of the River Tyne west of Newcastle.

Tyne Commission Quay was the terminus for boat trains from kings Cross for the ferry to Norway and Scotswood Junction was on the north side of the Tyne in the western part of Newcastle.

All the areas have changed since the photos were taken, Stella north and south have long been demolished, the land in the second photo at Tyne Commission Quay is now houses and the enclosed dock is a marina, while the whole line at Scotswood Junction has gone.

attachicon.gifStella North Power station tracks of Newcastle to Carlisle in foreground Jan 84 C6347.jpg

Stella North Power station tracks of Newcastle to Carlisle in foreground Jan 84 C6347

attachicon.gifStella South Class 101 Hexham to Newcastle Jan 84 C6348.jpg

Stella South Class 101 Hexham to Newcastle Jan 84 C6348

attachicon.gifStella South Class 101 Hexham to Newcastle Jan 84 C6349.jpg

Stella South Class 101 Hexham to Newcastle Jan 84 C6349

attachicon.gifTyne Commission Quay 30th March 84 C6445.jpg

Tyne Commission Quay 30th March 84 C6445  The station site was the black building beyond the cranes.

attachicon.gifTyne Commission Quay 30th March 84 C6446.jpg

Tyne Commission Quay 30th March 84 C6446

attachicon.gifScotswood Junction Class 101 Tyneside Venturer view east from train14th Sept 85 C7178.jpg

Scotswood Junction Class 101 Tyneside Venturer view east from train 14th Sept 85 C7178  The train has just travelled along that nice rusty track.

All the areas have changed, Stella north and south have long been demolished, the land in the second photo at Tyne Commission Quay is now houses and the enclosed dock is a marina, while the whole line at Scotswood Junction has gone.

David

Photo C7178:

Immediately to the right of the photo is the roof of Vickers' Elswick works, which produced tanks for many years; if you were lucky, you might, from the top deck of the bus, see them testing vehicles on the 'slope test' (driving them up a 45 degree slope, then down the other side, or the water tank, where the vehicle would drive into a swimming-pool sized water bath..

The chimneys behind are those of Dunston power station. 

The camera is pointed at 'Paradise', the name of the bit of between the camera and the Shell/ Jobling Purser (later Colas) bitumen terminal. If you passed there on a winter's morn, you'd be reminded of the 'other place' instead, as steam billowed forth from the tanks.

When we first moved to the NE in 1982, this line was the passenger route from Blaydon to Newcastle; the other route was strictly 'freight only'.

• RMweb Gold

Photo C7178:

Immediately to the right of the photo is the roof of Vickers' Elswick works, which produced tanks for many years; if you were lucky, you might, from the top deck of the bus, see them testing vehicles on the 'slope test' (driving them up a 45 degree slope, then down the other side, or the water tank, where the vehicle would drive into a swimming-pool sized water bath..

The chimneys behind are those of Dunston power station. 

The camera is pointed at 'Paradise', the name of the bit of between the camera and the Shell/ Jobling Purser (later Colas) bitumen terminal. If you passed there on a winter's morn, you'd be reminded of the 'other place' instead, as steam billowed forth from the tanks.

When we first moved to the NE in 1982, this line was the passenger route from Blaydon to Newcastle; the other route was strictly 'freight only'.

Brian,

Thanks very much for the information.  I think I knew it once but had forgotten - despite having lived in Northumberland since 1980 and worked in Newcastle (on the northwestern edge of it) for 33 years.

David

• RMweb Premium

A little off topic I know , but reference to 'Paradise' reminds me that In a version of Blaydon Races seen in *Durham County Hall Archives many moons ago, the final verse commences:

"And when we got to Paradise, the ground it was quite muddy, Coffee Johnny had a white cap on and yelled "We (Who) stole me (my) cuddy (horse) ?"

The more commonly heard version nowadays is "And when we got to Blaydon Toon, the ground etc. etc.

* Historically Blaydon was in County Durham

Thanks for sharing all your photos Dave, I do follow your thread quite regularly and find that others make all the appropriate comments and add useful information.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

More loco guessing, yippee!

J2023, the 46 may be D177

J6327 is not 55019. It’s a North eastern name from the nameplate font and it has no crest. My guess is 55014.

J6330 looks like one of the Moorgate line contingent, perhaps 31222.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s at Dry Doddington and Hougham. That last one is potentially interesting in that you have a class 31 hauling a short train of six coaches, of which four are air cons, and electrically heated. I’m hoping it was an ECS train, and not in service - how uncomfortable it would be if in service!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the MML photo’s going south from Nottingham. A great set, and all so full of interest. In J4156, at Kegworth, in March, 1975, the Derby DMU is a class 116 unit, on a Nottingham to Leicester service. It’s one with a four lamp cab end on the DMBS.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

From yesterday:

1N08 was the 09:00 KX-Newcastle

6S45 was the 02:35MTF Hoo Jcn / 02:30WThS Cliffe to Uddington

J6327 from the formation was the 10:45 KX-Harrogate

J6330 would have been 5D30 or 5L30 ECS Ferme Park to MO Doncaster / MX York

From today:

1C64 was the 14:50 Nottingham-St Pancras

• Like 1

A first visit to the Dtephenson Museum at Middle Engine Lane in North Shields (by the Silverlink shopping centre.

The photos are from the early days, it has a lot more to see now.

The site was the original Metro test track.

It is a museum with a decent length of running line, opening times are on their website at:  https://stephensonrailwaymuseum.org.uk/

attachicon.gifMiddle Engine Lane Consett Ironeorks 10 Sept 85 C7191.jpg

Middle Engine Lane Consett Ironeorks 10 Sept 85 C7191

attachicon.gifMiddle Engine Lane Siemens Bo-Bo Sept 85 C7193.jpg

Middle Engine Lane Siemens Bo-Bo Sept 85 C7193

attachicon.gifMiddle Engine Lane Puffing Billy Stephenson Sept 85 C7194.jpg

Middle Engine Lane Puffing Billy Stephenson Sept 85 C7194

attachicon.gifMiddle Engine Lane Sans Pareil replica Sept 85 C7198.jpg

Middle Engine Lane Sans Pareil replica Sept 85 C7198

attachicon.gifMiddle Engine Lane Consett Iron Co Kitson A No5 Sept 85 C7202.jpg

Middle Engine Lane Consett Iron Co Kitson A No5 Sept 85 C7202

attachicon.gifMiddle Engine Lane NER electric luggage van 3267 Sept 85 C7203.jpg

Middle Engine Lane NER electric luggage van 3267 Sept 85 C7203

David

Hello Dave, thanks for posting. I've only ever visited the Stephenson Museum once, in the mid-1990s! I seem to recall an A4 which was painted as, IIRC  'Silver Link'. Loco had full valances as well and I think this was 4464 'Bittern' before she was overhauled at the MHR. Am I correct in this memory? Thanks again, Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave, thanks for posting. I've only ever visited the Stephenson Museum once, in the mid-1990s! I seem to recall an A4 which was painted as, IIRC  'Silver Link'. Loco had full valances as well and I think this was 4464 'Bittern' before she was overhauled at the MHR. Am I correct in this memory? Thanks again, Andy

You are indeed correct.  Somewhere I have a photo of her in that livery which I will get round to doing something with in due course.

I believe that the Silverlink shopping centre was named after the loco when it was in that guise.

David