Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s between York and Newcastle. Such a classic and timeless view of Durham in C5915 with a class 45 on an up service, in January, 1983. And I agree about the formation of the HST in the last photo’ at Low Fell with class 43 power car 43042 leading. An intriguing formation.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

keefer, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. It’s almost certainly that carriage, the unique TLFK. It would be marshalled there in place of a TF. If correct, and Im sure it is, it’s great that it was photographed that day by Dave. Quite a special photo’.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Actually Rob, now I've had a proper look I'm not 100% sure it is the 'Executive Saloon'.

Both(!) pics I've seen of it in service (in IC livery) had the kitchen end next to the power car and it was branded 'InterCity Executive Saloon'

This coach looks to be branded more like a TRFK, the length of the branding looks more like 'Restaurant 125'.

Another (unconnected) detail - none of the doors in First Class have a '1' on them

EDIT: just realised the date of Dave's pic - February 1986. The saloon was already in InterCity livery by August 1984

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/3867405782

EDIT AGAIN: in stripey livery by December 1983 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77422-smallest-terminus-served-by-hsts/?p=1195569

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Might be the unique TLFK lounge coach in place of a TF?

keefer, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. It’s almost certainly that carriage, the unique TLFK. It would be marshalled there in place of a TF. If correct, and Im sure it is, it’s great that it was photographed that day by Dave. Quite a special photo’.

Best regards,

Rob.

Actually Rob, now I've had a proper look I'm not 100% sure it is the 'Executive Saloon'.

Both(!) pics I've seen of it in service (in IC livery) had the kitchen end next to the power car and it was branded 'InterCity Executive Saloon'

This coach looks to be branded more like a TRFK, the length of the branding looks more like 'Restaurant 125'.

Another (unconnected) detail - none of the doors in First Class have a '1' on them

EDIT: just realised the date of Dave's pic - February 1986. The saloon was already in InterCity livery by August 1984

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/3867405782

EDIT AGAIN: in stripey livery by December 1983 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77422-smallest-terminus-served-by-hsts/?p=1195569

I think it is just a normal TRFK substituting for a 1st class coach.  Presumably it was spare and a 1st class coach wasn't available.

Doubtless it was better than sending it out as a 7 car set.

I have seen it happen more than once but this is, I think, the only photo I have.

David

David

J727 - I'm afraid 5B74 or similar does not appear in my ECML WTT, but then I don't have the precise one for that date which is probably the reason. 

However, mostly-fitted freights with B (London Division) headcodes originating from that far north are quite rare in the tables I have looked at. The loco was allocated to March at the time of the photo; which is most interesting for a train north of York. 

I will look in the Lincoln are WTTs and see if I can find anything going via Whitemoor. 

• RMweb Gold

Morning Dave,

Do you have any more info on the bus (J4216), looks BMMO'ish to me, but not ok familiar with that fleet.

Sorry, I don't know anything else about it.  I've checked the rest of Dad's photos from the day and it isn't in any of them.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Severn Valley Railway photo’s. So full of interest, and it’s so good to see the sole surviving Ivatt 4mt, ‘Flying Pig’ in J3781, at Arley, on a Bridgnorth to Bewdley train, in July, 1974.

The Blyth and Tyne photo’s are a great set, and it’s so good to see the railway moving large amounts of coal around, which how railways were first really invented for. The last photo’ of 56102, at North Blyth Alcan, on the 13th January, 2001, looks most imposing in the Load Haul livery. A pity it did not last longer in it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David, the top one looks like it could be out of an Austin Rover brochure, in the third one the driver has left the tail lights on on the loco, wonder if any of the eagle eyed Bobbie's on the Blyth and Tyne got him stopped

• RMweb Premium

Great pictures David, the top one looks like it could be out of an Austin Rover brochure, in the third one the driver has left the tail lights on on the loco, wonder if any of the eagle eyed Bobbie's on the Blyth and Tyne got him stopped

One for the prototype for everything thread then. Must be running on good old analogue DC.....

Dave

• Like 1

Great pics of the Blyth and Tyne. A clean 56 is certainly unusual and Winning is my favourite location on the B&T.  Double headed 37s with HBA/HEAs brings back great memories.

These wonderful photos are making me think seriously about building a 1980s layout.

Mal

• RMweb Gold

J4220 - an 0-4-0 centre cab diesel (I assume). Wonder how large, both physical dimensions and power output, the engine was?

It was a Fowler 150hp diesel mechanical.

The Severn Valley used it on engineering trains until 1981 when it suffered a catastrophic failure and was broken up in 1982.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Peascliffe Tunnel and the line to Boston photo’s. A great set, with a most unusual sight in J3595 with Flying Scotsman running tender first to Barkston East Junction in March, 1974. It’s not very often you get to see Flying Scotsman tender first unless, maybe, on a preserved railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s going east from Middlesbrough. In C9341, at Saltburn, looking west on the 20th February, 1988, you can clearly see how parts of the former track layout was adapted to make the single track. I guess savings would have been made as opposed to laying in a completely new track formation.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It was not unusual for a line to have one line CWR and the other jointed, especially if the loaded freight trains went one way and the empties the other (example is the Barnsley branch and MGRs). Then when the freights died and the line was singled the CWR line was used with the other being ripped up, leading to formations where the line swapped from the old to the new formation.