Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

There seems to have been some issues with the power supply to the signalbox?

I think it had been there since December 1970 when the power workers had a series of strikes causing blackouts.    Though it of course have been there following a problem.

I'm not sure if there was a generator there during the 1972 power cuts.

I think a generator was also placed there during  the oil crisis/ miners strike/ 3 day week in Jan/Feb 1974 but I don't have any photos taken then.

David

David, many thanks for posting photos of Brush 4's at Grantham. Image J2825 is particularly evocative as I remember a trip to Grantham to 'spot' Deltics about this time. The spotter in the shot is standing where we based ourselves and when the signals went 'green' we would all peer into the distance to see if the loco was indeed a mighty 'Dellie' (identified by the distictove large yellow nose) or something more 'lowly'.

The down trains hammering towards us provided a wonderful spectacle which I can remember clearly 46 years on!

I imagine there must have been a speed restriction for the curve at the northern end of the station, however they seemed to be moving pretty swiftly to us!

I think we 'copped' about 5 of the 'beasts' during our first visit there and recall the excitement the appearance of these locos caused particularly from my small group of spotting friends whose diet was usually Peaks or Brushes!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Grantham photo’s. All so interesting and in the last one, of a class 47 on a Bradford to Kings Cross service, in January, 1972, you can see plenty of brake dust and weathering on the whole of the train. A good weathering project for a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

1A09 was the 08:48 York-KX. The train has an additional BSO marshalled in the formation 2nd coach.

1D04 was the 12:20 KX-Cleethorpes

J5615 from the formation was the 08:35 Hull-KX

J5616 from the formation was the 08:30 Newcastle-KX

J5616 looks like it could be 47516

Many thanks to both of you.

David

Lovely shots of Grantham, at the time when I regularly used to pass through (I had to look closely to make sure that you hadn't caught me!). Some 'old friends' amongst the green 47s, as well.

I'd actually forgotten all about Grantham North box, so that came as a bit of a jolt.  :D

It wasn't just Feb 1972 that was cold and miserable; almost the whole year was like that - with the exception of a week in the middle of March when temperatures reached 21C in a few places. 

But, boy did we pay for that. Most areas did not see that level of maximum temperature again until well into July, and the maximum temperature on the summer solstice (21 June) was actually *lower* than the maximum on the previous winter one (21 Dec 71). 

That statistic made the national news, as did photos of folk sunbathing in northern Finland above the Arctic Circle (where they were having record high temperatures) just to rub it in. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Leicestershire photo's. A fascinating mixture, and in J2662, at Saxby, with a down van train, in  May, 1971, it appears that an earlier 25 is leading, possibly a 25/1, and then a 25/3. There are certainly bodyside grills visible on the first engine, with the cab doors recessed as on the earlier 24's and 25's.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Interesting, if you Google Streetview Saxby to reproduce J2778 the house it is blurred out.

The building in J2662 is still there but hidden behind what looks like a building site, the loading dock is long gone.

Also looking around Cottesmore - a lot of old trackbed has been obliterated with fields, you can see bits of line but then you lose all trace.

Edited by woodenhead

Don't quote me on this, but I think J3136 shows a 25 on one of the Peterborough to Nottingham parcels trains which conveyed lots of products from the Freemans mail order depot near New England, plus pallets of their catalogues. 

• RMweb Gold

Don't quote me on this, but I think J3136 shows a 25 on one of the Peterborough to Nottingham parcels trains which conveyed lots of products from the Freemans mail order depot near New England, plus pallets of their catalogues. 

I think that is almost certainly correct.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Wonderful photos as always.

I like the tyres and pipes of the “Rec” and remember playing in similar “Recs” in the early ‘70s. How we made it into our teens alive is a complete mystery...

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium

A play park with grass? Luxury!

Ones from my childhood were concrete, with concrete pipes, steps and walls to jump off. If there were swings, chutes etc they seemed to be made out of scaffold poles

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Radcliffe on Trent photo’s. All so full of interest, and in J6037, at Radcliffe on Trent, with a class 114 DMU, on a Nottingham to Grantham service, in May, 1978, you can at least two designs of lamp standards on the platform. Today, I guess it will be the tall aluminium lamp standards that will be on that platform.

With warmest regards,

Rob.