Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Great pics of the ECML in Northumberland especially given the remoteness of some of the locations.  

It hadn't even occured to me that Longhirst and Longhoughton were anywhere near the ECML.

As always, the lack of OHLE adds to the almosphere of the photos.

Your observation at Ulgham Lane regarding trees and bushes is valid. I find that a lot of the lineside locations I used to go to in SE Northumberland are now obscured by overgrown foliage.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland photo’s. A great set, and it’s most interesting to read your extended captions about how things have or have not changed since taking the photo’s. I particularly like C5873, at Longhirst, with an unidentifiable class 40 on a down ICI tank wagon train in October, 1982. The 40 makes a most impressive sight at the head of the train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Stockton and Darlington photo's. Especially the first one of 

Eaglescliffe, Preston Park, with Seaham Dock, Head Wrightson VB, in June, 1975. It's somewhat unusual, and I hope I have got it described correctly, it's something that I will be researching.

With warmest regards,

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York photo’s. Full of interest and nostalgia. The first one, J3683, of a class 110, DMU, on a York to Harrogate service in May, 1974, clearly shows the class 104 TSL that some of these otherwise three car units had inserted.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

To echo other comments, many thanks Dave for some 'York nostalgia'. All those EP points - I had a great time as a trainee with the 'North End' lineman on maintenance, happy days.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

J3683, unusual in that the DMU is a 4-car with both centre cars being of the 110 variety.

As they were built as 3-car sets, there must have been one set missing one.

If that were the case then then 2 car unit would be a power twin; 720hp for just two cars..... Not quite a GTi, but pretty sprightly I'd wager.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Regarding that four car 110. On enlarging the photo’, it can be seen that the big side windows on that nearest TSL, have no ‘surround’ to them, and the end windows, either side of the connecting gangway are much higher up than on a class 110 TSL. Those are the main differences between the two classes of TSL. I recall that there were some class 104 TSL’s spare and used in class 110’s to make them into four car sets, and also, some of them were also used between Metro Cammell driving power cars to make up three car sets. I believe this spanned the mid seventies period before sets were reformed. I hope this is of some additional help.

Best regards,

Rob.

Regarding that four car 110. On enlarging the photo’, it can be seen that the big side windows on that nearest TSL, have no ‘surround’ to them, and the end windows, either side of the connecting gangway are much higher up than on a class 110 TSL. Those are the main differences between the two classes of TSL. I recall that there were some class 104 TSL’s spare and used in class 110’s to make them into four car sets, and also, some of them were also used between Metro Cammell driving power cars to make up three car sets. I believe this spanned the mid seventies period before sets were reformed. I hope this is of some additional help.

Best regards,

Rob.

Agreed, but iirc the 104's were a much flatter side profile and those two look the same (with a tumblehome), to me at least.

Hmmm, having had a further look, I'm in agreement, it is likely a 104 TSL.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Another example of a 4 car class 110. (well at least the power car this end is a 110).   https://flic.kr/p/dmtHs6

Paul J.

That’s correct. It, again, on enlarging the photo’ to maximum magnification, has a class 110 DMCL, at this end, then a class 110 TSL, followed by another of those class 104 TSL’s, and the class 110 DMBC brings up the rear. It’s a lovely photo’, and I just hope Dave might have one of a three car Metro Cammell with a class 104 TSL. That would clarify the matter still further. Those ‘Met Sets’ always looked so Infra Dig with the 104 TSL’s inserted into them!

Best regards,

Rob.

That’s correct. It, again, on enlarging the photo’ to maximum magnification, has a class 110 DMCL, at this end, then a class 110 TSL, followed by another of those class 104 TSL’s, and the class 110 DMBC brings up the rear. It’s a lovely photo’, and I just hope Dave might have one of a three car Metro Cammell with a class 104 TSL. That would clarify the matter still further. Those ‘Met Sets’ always looked so Infra Dig with the 104 TSL’s inserted into them!

Best regards,

Rob.

Not quite as you requested, but a mixed 104-101 4 car set, with livery differences to boot.

https://flic.kr/p/diXJUW

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob

Could the addition of the class 104 TSL to the 110 sets happened when the 4 car 104 sets were set to East Anglia as 3 car sets?  Until seeing the two types of TSL together as in this photo I never realised how much of a difference there was on the end windows. Can I be bothered to alter my class 104 conversions? Or make sure any photos I post don't show that end of the coach in case Rob sees it? :scratchhead: