Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Great Blyth & Tyne pics. Thanks for sharing.

Bedlington Station platform is, of course, still intact today and could be re-built and used if the B&T ever reopens to passengers. 

attachicon.gifBedlington Station 22.8.14.JPG

Every now and again there is a suggestion to continue the Morpeth turnbacks to Bedlington but so far has come to nothing!

There is now the possibility of Belford getting two trains a day as the Chathill one has to go to Belford to crossover from the Down to the up now, only a platform and access is required!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Stephenson Museum photo’s which are full of historical interest. In particular, C7194, at Middle Engine Lane, with Puffing Billy, in September, 1985, is a gem. I haven’t seen Puffing Billy for many years now, and I thank you for posting that photo’.

And the Blyth and Tyne photo’s are full of their own historical interest, with a great view of a class 37 on an empty stock train in August, 1980, in C5125.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

C7739; The two X-plated signals on the gantry are interesting; I wonder if they were being installed to replace the two ground position light signals, perhaps, to convert the centre sidings into running lines after the Freightliner derailment on the Avoiding Line in 1984 ?

Many thanks again for the photos David.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing another great set of photos Dave. Do you know what the wording says on the two signs in C7732 and C7734?

Regards, Ian.

Sorry Ian,

I can't read them on the scan, the words were too small on the slide.  I used to know what it said but have now forgotten.

However the signs appeared after the freight avoiding line was closed but before the new signals were working at the southern end of the two non platform roads.  They had something to do with obeying the small signals next to them.

David

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Ian,

I can't read them on the scan, the words were too small on the slide.  I used to know what it said but have now forgotten.

However the signs appeared after the freight avoiding line was closed but before the new signals were working at the southern end of the two non platform roads.  They had something to do with obeying the small signals next to them.

David

Okay Dave, thanks for the additional info.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

I think that Royal train appeared before - was it used for something like a high-end charter as was formed of some of the older former 'main' vehicles inc ex-LNWR Saloon and one of the 1957 'Mk1s' The 'proper' Royal train was Mk3s with Mk2b power & sleeper brakes

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

I think that Royal train appeared before - was it used for something like a high-end charter as was formed of some of the older former 'main' vehicles inc ex-LNWR Saloon and one of the 1957 'Mk1s' The 'proper' Royal train was Mk3s with Mk2b power & sleeper brakes

The pictures were taken in 1986 and there is a Mk3 in the formation but it probably wasn't likely to be a Royal Train (i.e a train conveying the Monarch) as the formation is fairly short so it had probably been a train conveying another member of the Royal Family.  That generator car was still in regular use in Royal and Special (i.e. other members of the Royal Family) trains at that time as was 45000 the ex LNWR vehicle and I see 2901 was also in the formation.  45000 was a firm favourite of many folk  associated with the train and lasted a long while because of that.

The two saloons are separated in a rather odd arrangement so I do wonder if the train had been remarshalled as part of a particular job  or had in fact been used as two separate trains with the saloons marshalled like that while the use of an 'ordinary' Brake First at the London end suggests to me that it was probably an empty stock move.  So 'Royal Train' stock yes - Royal Train - definitely not.

Incidentally the Royal Saloons were not made available for private charters back then.  And I do wonder if they have ever been?

• RMweb Gold

C7739; The two X-plated signals on the gantry are interesting; I wonder if they were being installed to replace the two ground position light signals, perhaps, to convert the centre sidings into running lines after the Freightliner derailment on the Avoiding Line in 1984 ?

Many thanks again for the photos David.

They were, converting Bert and Charlie into through roads.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s. All very interesting, and it’s good seeing the Royal Train. In the first photo, with 87004 on a down light engine movement, on the 23rd October, 1984, you can see some of the detail on the roof of that 87 which may be of some help to those who have recently purchased the new Hornby model. And will we ever get RTR models of the Royal Train? Probably not is sadly the answer.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Nearly correct...

Nearly correct..

ELECTRIC TRAINS

NO ACCESS

TO

NEWCASTLE

LINE

No more correct than me

ELECTRIC TRAINS

NO ACCESS TO

NEWCASTLE LINES

M&C LINES OR

WAPPING SIDINGS

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The pictures were taken in 1986 and there is a Mk3 in the formation but it probably wasn't likely to be a Royal Train (i.e a train conveying the Monarch) as the formation is fairly short so it had probably been a train conveying another member of the Royal Family.  That generator car was still in regular use in Royal and Special (i.e. other members of the Royal Family) trains at that time as was 45000 the ex LNWR vehicle and I see 2901 was also in the formation.  45000 was a firm favourite of many folk  associated with the train and lasted a long while because of that.

The two saloons are separated in a rather odd arrangement so I do wonder if the train had been remarshalled as part of a particular job  or had in fact been used as two separate trains with the saloons marshalled like that while the use of an 'ordinary' Brake First at the London end suggests to me that it was probably an empty stock move.  So 'Royal Train' stock yes - Royal Train - definitely not.

Incidentally the Royal Saloons were not made available for private charters back then.  And I do wonder if they have ever been?

Thanks for the info Mike. Perhaps 'charter' was the wrong choice of word - I'm sure I've read previously that it wasn't a Royal train, but a special working for a particular event/group of people. Typically I can't find the post, but here is another view from an older post showing the train actually had all three Mk1 saloons, so must've been an important working!

post-5613-0-85326900-1525877064_thumb.jp

From this post: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-17th-september/?p=3158218

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info Mike. Perhaps 'charter' was the wrong choice of word - I'm sure I've read previously that it wasn't a Royal train, but a special working for a particular event/group of people. Typically I can't find the post, but here is another view from an older post showing the train actually had all three Mk1 saloons, so must've been an important working!

I'd forgotten I'd posted that photo.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GE photo’s, which are full of interest and nostalgia. I particularly like the last one at Marks Tey, with 37012 on an up service in May, 1979. The 37 looks powerful and purposeful at the head of that train - such an icon of GE expresses over many years.

With warmest regards,

Rob.