Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Southern photo’s. Good to see the first one at Waterloo, but I can’t quite make outvthe number of that class 33. Perhaps someone else might be able to.

Swanick had what I think might be called a footbridge built from a kit. It certainly was not a graceful design, but I know that’s how the Southern Railway went about these things. The signalbox looks like a nice Southern design, in contrast to the footbridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

P.S. Swanwick would make a great model, that’s unless someone already has built one based upon it.

Thanks for the info Mike. Perhaps 'charter' was the wrong choice of word - I'm sure I've read previously that it wasn't a Royal train, but a special working for a particular event/group of people. Typically I can't find the post, but here is another view from an older post showing the train actually had all three Mk1 saloons, so must've been an important working!

post-5613-0-85326900-1525877064_thumb.jp

From this post: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-17th-september/?p=3158218

Commonwealth Games? Would fit end July 86.

Really like the photos of Swanwick, used to get off there, as I used to work around the corner.

Apart from 3rd rail in use, nothing has really change a bit, Part of the station building is now a curry house, and I didn't know about the platform signal box.

Keep up the excellent work..

Regards Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Wasn`t the royal train sometimes used for visiting heads of state or other dignitaries? So it could be used for things other than royals. It would explain the lack of the newest coaches.

Very unusual by then and in any case the saloons wouldn't have been as they are effectively either personal use for a particular member of the Royal Family or in the case of the lesser ones are used for various wider members of the family carrying out official duties (e.g. the Duchess of Kent.  I think you'll find that Mk 3 saloons are only allocated to use by individual senior members of the family.  'Other' People a were very definitely not allowed in HM's saloon and when three of us were presented to the Queen during a Royal tour in connection with GW 150 that took place in the Duke of Edinburgh's saloon because we were not permitted into HM's saloon.

Regrettably we (but not the Queen and Duke) had our lunch in a Mk1 vehicle marshalled in the formation although we had the same menu, cooked in the same kitchen car, as the Royal party.  A lot of the space on these trains is not taken up by anyone in the Royal party but by various railway personnel concerned with the servicing and running of the train and they need both feeding and overnight accommodation.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Harrogate photo’s. They capture the mid sixties on BR so perfectly. The first photo’, of a class 101 unit, on a Leeds to Harrogate service in August, 1965, shows that, on enlarging the photo’, it is a power twin, and the unit coupled in front of it is a Derby class 108 - a three car set I think.

In the last photo’, of a class 47, D1577, on a Sunderland to Liverpool service, in August, 1966, J597, you can see the two headlamps to denote an express passenger train. The head code blinds had clearly become unusable - there appears to be some paper over the last two. I love seeing the Thompson SK at the head of that train too. If I had been travelling on it that day, I would have made for that carriage as, possibly, one of the last times that would have been possible before the last ones were very soon withdrawn from service.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Rob Bell is walking from Elgin to Portsoy on CH5 tonight at 2100

Keith

The old station building exists in isolation:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=19&lat=57.6792&lon=-2.6903&layers=168&right=BingHyb

EDIT

Now the local scout hut!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Former_Portsoy_Railway_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1690868.jpg/398px-Former_Portsoy_Railway_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1690868.jpg

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love those Scottish photo’s. A delightful set, and in particular that last one which you nearly misplaced. The cottage at Portsoy is a gem, and cries out to be modelled!

In C1367, at Drumlanrig, at the tunnel to the north, the class 108 unit on a Glasgow to Carlisle service, in August, 1973, has window bars across the door droplights. I’m wondering if it was one of the sets used primarily on the Cumbrian Coast line services.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I think (J3931) Carnoustie is Broughty Ferry Dave as the signal box at Carnoustie is brick and Broughty was wooden.

Edit - confirmed with a google

Thanks very much.  It's a case of the original notes being wrong, and not noticed in over 40 years of looking at the photo from time to time.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Lolham photo’s. A superb set which has transported me back in time to the seventies so perfectly. I’m wondering about the bridge in the last photo’. It seems quite recent. Could it be LNER days?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Lolham photo’s. A superb set which has transported me back in time to the seventies so perfectly. I’m wondering about the bridge in the last photo’. It seems quite recent. Could it be LNER days?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I was wondering about that too.  

I wonder if anyone here knows?

David

Today our time machine is taking us to Harrogate Stray, south of the station at various dates in the mid 1960s.

Harrogate LMS Class 5 44617 Harrogate to Kings X Nov 65 J419.jpg

Harrogate LMS Class 5 44617 Harrogate to Kings X Nov 65 J419

David

Not 44617 as that didn't exist! Number is hard to decipher, possibly 44672. Is there another photo of this loco, perhaps?

Edited by Western Glory

• RMweb Gold

Not 44617 as that didn't exist! Number is hard to decipher, possibly 44672. Is there another photo of this loco, perhaps?

It's not 44672 which was much cleaner and had Kingmoor stencilled on the front buffer beam in 1965.

I haven't got any other photos taken that day of the train, sorry.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Market Overton photo’s, with a most fascinating selection of engines and stock. In J3392, with Peckett tank engine John and ex - BR 03 diesel shunter, D2381 in September, 1973, it’s good seeing the Peckett getting steamed. It looks like it was a bit careworn, but clearly was steamable.

The L.T.&S.R. photo’s are as good as ever, and the last one of Leigh on Sea, with 302 268 on a down service, in May, 1980, is a well composed shot, and the units blue livery looks ever so slightly faded.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Market Overton Barclay ex British Sugar Feb 74 J3612

Looks like it was fresh from the sugar works judging by the white coated parts.

Just wondering why it carries a spare buffer, was it that prone to breaking them?

Dave