Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Market Overton Barclay ex British Sugar Feb 74 J3612

Looks like it was fresh from the sugar works judging by the white coated parts.

Just wondering why it carries a spare buffer, was it that prone to breaking them?

Dave

I should know the answer to that, but am not quite certain.

I think the buffer and a few other bits came with the loco as spares when it was purchased.  Although the loco was photographed at Market Overton it did not belong to Bill McAlpine or John Gretton but to someone else who kept it there.

David

• RMweb Premium

Today our time machine is taking us to Harrogate Stray, south of the station at various dates in the mid 1960s.

attachicon.gifHarrogate Class 101 Leeds to Harrogate Aug 65 J256.jpg

Harrogate Class 101 Leeds to Harrogate Aug 65 J256

attachicon.gifHarrogate Class 110 Manchester to Harrogate Aug 65 J261.jpg

Harrogate Class 110 Manchester to Harrogate Aug 65 J261

David

OMG!  A scene straight out of my childhood!  (except we never went to Harrogate...)  Nothing says 1960s more than smart modern green diesel units.  I can almost hear the Beatles on the wireless.

One point, I'm not convinced both these photos were taken in August:  The lineside vegetation is much lower and thinner in the second view (compare how much fence is visible in the foreground) I reckon that's much earlier in the summer.

Thanks so much for sharing.  Cheers, Dave.

PS  How do you get the photos to appear in the Quote?  Sometimes they do, but it seems a bit random.

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Gold

OMG!  A scene straight out of my childhood!  (except we never went to Harrogate...)  Nothing says 1960s more than smart modern green diesel units.  I can almost hear the Beatles on the wireless.

One point, I'm not convinced both these photos were taken in August:  The lineside vegetation is much lower and thinner in the second view (compare how much fence is visible in the foreground) I reckon that's much earlier in the summer.

Thanks so much for sharing.  Cheers, Dave.

PS  How do you get the photos to appear in the Quote?  Sometimes they do, but it seems a bit random.

I took the dates from Dad's notes and he always numbered his slides in the order in which he took them.  However, I do agree that the grass looks shorter in the second one than the first one, so I've no idea if he has made a mistake.  I am certain they are both 1965 and cannot be earlier than May.

It's over 50 years ago but I remember that sometimes the grass was trimmed back on the Stray by the railway fences by scything- in those days Harrogate was kept very neat, so it could have been cut and was regrowing.  There isn't as much difference between the two shots on the railway side of the fence.

The apparent difference in the trees and bushes is simply that the second photo had lost a lot of its colour, adding more saturation just didn't work.  The first photo is if anything a bit oversaturated following work on it in Photoshop.

I don't know how to get the photos to appear either.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

...Note how carefully the loco number in the first photo has been obscured. ...

Don't worry, someone will be along in a moment with a detailed analysis of the pattern of brake dust up the side, position of overhead warning stickers, minor dents in the nose, what's in the driver's lunchbox etc., and come up with a definitive answer!

Sometimes you've just got to be grateful that your photos survived 20+ years in the attic.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Nottingham Midland photo's which are full of interest. In particular the last photo' is a delightful one of 20161 and another one, in December, 1979. They make a great sight as they rest between duties.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cramlington photo’s, which portray the ECML so perfectly. In particular, C6668, of an HST on a down service on the 27th December, 1984, is a good photo and is so full of atmosphere in the low December sun, with a frost covered landscape.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

At a guess, I would say that a polarising filter was used to get that sky?

Dave

Good guess and I did use one from time to time in the late 70s.  In this case the truth is much more prosaic.

Most of the colours had faded except for the blue in the sky - even the HST blue had changed.  The intense blue in skies was a characteristic of Supasnaps 100ASA slide film I used at the time (made by Ferrania).  The other colours were also rich, but faded over the years - even though most of the slides were kept in the dark in slide magazine boxes.

The greens are the worst for fading in that make of film.  For some reason the scans are very contrasty which can lead to a loss of detail in shadows.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cumbrian Coast line photo’s, which are fascinating and full,of atmosphere. The last one of Silecroft, with A4, 4498, Sir Nigel Gresley, on the Cumbrian Coast Express from Sellefield to Carnforth, in August, 1979, makes a finesight. On Monday, of this week in the NRM, York, I saw Sir Nigel Gresley in parts as the engine gets a major overhaul.

With warmest regards,

Rob.