Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

For the 1970s that canal looks remarkably clean and rubbish/shopping trolley free... :)

My father worked in the Royal Navy Recruiting Office in Carrington Street which crosses the canal on the other side of Midland Station. One day, while in uniform, he stood on the bridge looking up the canal and it wasn't long before someone asked what he was looking at. He replied that an RN submarine was coming up the canal to make an official visit to Nottingham and he was waiting for it to surface! He always swore the person believed him!

Old sailors yarns!  :no:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yet another selection of excellent photos Dave, many thanks for sharing. As 'mullie' says, I too look forward to a "daily fix" of times gone by. Of particular interest (for me) is signal G735 in C8227, I think a signal like that would look great on a layout.

Wishing all a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and trouble free 2019.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That’s a great set of photo’s of Grangetown today. All so interesting and capture the works and lines so well. What a great photo’ of 37512 on a down empty steel train, on the 26th February, 1987. That was a good livery for the 37’s.

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

What a great photo’ of 37512 on a down empty steel train, on the 26th February, 1987. That was a good livery for the 37’s.

Agree that image is great, looking like one of those coloured in monochrome images. I know they say it's grim up north,and it wasn't that bad from what I remember as a toddler...

Merry Christmas and here's to more wonderful images next year,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

My father worked in the Royal Navy Recruiting Office in Carrington Street which crosses the canal on the other side of Midland Station. One day, while in uniform, he stood on the bridge looking up the canal and it wasn't long before someone asked what he was looking at. He replied that an RN submarine was coming up the canal to make an official visit to Nottingham and he was waiting for it to surface! He always swore the person believed him!

Not as daft as it sounds.

Back in the 1970s, the Navy had a fleet of four narrow boats, each of which looked like a miniature warship.  One of them was a submarine, and it may well have visited Nottingham.  Oddly, there is very little on Google to show them, but someone has written a book about it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Britannia-Rules-Cut-Royal-Navys/dp/1906205264/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347565778&sr=8-1

And rummaging through the photo album, I came across this (taken at the Inland Waterways Association National Rally in York 1975)

post-13511-0-88984000-1545692875_thumb.jpg

Adrian

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

People will believe anything if it is told them by someone who looks as if they know what they are talking about, or that they should be able to trust.  I mean, for instance, as a child you should be able to trust your own mother, shouldn't you?

Let this be a cautionary tale...

When I was 7 years old, in 1959, the family went on a camping holiday to Porthcawl, camping in a field next to the well-known 'Happy Valley' holiday caravan site just outside that seething metropolis.  In the way that small children do, it was not very long before I'd made friends amongst the children from the caravans, and got to see inside one; i was most interested in this as I'd never been in one before.  I had never seen bottled gas before, and was fascinated by it, and the cooker and lights that were operated with it. 

So, of course, back in the tent later on, I told my mother, who I trusted absolutely to tell me the truth about everything, all about the wondrous bottled gas.  'Oh, yes' she said 'they have it in caravans and on boats, and some poor people have it in their houses.  You can even get televisions that run on it'.  Now, this made complete sense to me, and of course I believed it absolutely.  The gas flame would provide the light to see the picture by, wouldn't it, and even if it wasn't as good as our proper electric tv, it'd be great for caravans, or boats, where there was no electricity or for poor people (gas was a lot cheaper in those days)...

I was disabused of this notion with some rather un-necessarily hurtful and cruel comments about my general gullibility and stupidity in the playground about 4 years later.  My faith in the world in general, parents in particular, and mothers particularly in particular, was badly dented, and I swore to myself never to be caught out like that again. 

So when Geoffrey Cooper came to school the following week and claimed his parents had bought a mains gas fridge, I was having none of that!!!

My mother defended this many years later with the wonderful comment that there's no point in having children if you can't mess with their heads a bit...

Here's a photo I took in Roker, Sunderland in 2016. As you can see because they are VERY close to the sea, the salt in the air is playing havoc and they may not be there for very long. 

attachicon.gifPullmans at Roker.JPG

These two Pullmans were originally SECR Parlour First 99 "Padua" (1920) and Kitchen First 102 "Rosalind" (1921); there were two other coaches on the same site, SECR Pullman Parlour First 43 "Sapphire" (1910) and BR Mk1 TSO 4328.

The three Pullmans were moved in March 2017, initially to Barrow Hill where they received (unspecified) restoration work before being moved to Folkestone. They weren't there long, as in June 2017 they were moved to the KESR where they are now sheeted in the open, presumably awaiting attention.

4328 was scrapped on site in Sunderland.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

Not as daft as it sounds.

Back in the 1970s, the Navy had a fleet of four narrow boats, each of which looked like a miniature warship.  One of them was a submarine, and it may well have visited Nottingham.  Oddly, there is very little on Google to show them, but someone has written a book about it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Britannia-Rules-Cut-Royal-Navys/dp/1906205264/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347565778&sr=8-1

And rummaging through the photo album, I came across this (taken at the Inland Waterways Association National Rally in York 1975)

attachicon.gifyork-rally-2a.jpg

Adrian

Dad's story was in the mid 60s but he would have loved this tale! I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks.

Thanks very much to Dave, yet again, for taking us right back to the railways, places, events and memories of that period and all the years in between.

More like an old matelot giving a silly answer to a silly question!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, and Merry Christmas. I like the Tanfield Railway photo’s which are so full of interest. You can clearly see how SR PMV or BR CCT chassis were used to place the carriage bodies on.

The Woodhead photo’s are full of interest of a line which is long gone. In the first photo’, at Dinting viaduct, with a class 506 EMU, on a Manchester Piccadilly to Hadfield train in May, 1972, shows a scene which I’ve rarely seen before. The unit looks so insignificant in the vastness of the surrounding landscape.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited to remove a word.

Edited by Market65