Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

The first four photos, including J4304 the 37 on the 3 coach train were all taken in the evening on a weekday.  The 37 is just about to enter Maningtree station from the north, heading south.  So it cannot be going to Harwich.  I suspect it is around 6-7p.m.

At the time Dad often had to spend about 3 days a week in Ipswich for work, he and I sometimes met in the area to take some photos and have dinner (at a pub/retsaurant near Bentley) before he returned to his hotel in Ipswich and I went back to Basildon.

Sadly I don't have any GE working timetables for the period. 

David

Great pictures David so much tidier than today 

I'm wondering if the 3 coach set had come off the east Suffolk 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jvol7289 is a gem. I assume that it will be forming a northbound train, either to Huntingdon or to Mildenhall - possibly to Newmarket and on but I would expect something a bit newer for that service, especially if going on from Haughley down the main line to Ipswich.

Correction: southbound not northbound, see below.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jvol7289 is a gem. I assume that it will be forming a northbound train, either to Huntingdon or to Mildenhall - possibly to Newmarket and on but I would expect something a bit newer for that service, especially if going on from Haughley down the main line to Ipswich.

Jonathan

Looks to me as though it's heading the other way, having just passed under Hills Road bridge at the south end of the station, and most likely destined for Colchester via Sudbury & Mark's Tey etc.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, 31A said:

Looks to me as though it's heading the other way, having just passed under Hills Road bridge at the south end of the station, and most likely destined for Colchester via Sudbury & Mark's Tey etc.

Yes it is going south.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I had recognised it as Hills Road bridge and was trying to to remember just where the advertising hoarding was. It is nearly half a century since I lived there. So leaving the station ECS rather than arriving to form a train out. And yes, the Sudbury direction. That service had gone when I lived in Cambridge.

Of course the hoardings might not have been in the same place that much earlier anyway (that's my excuse!).

Still a great photo of a long gone scene. The kind Dave produces time after time to delight us all.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent selection of replacement photo’s of the L.T.&S.R. from around Chalkwell, between Leigh on Sea and Southend. In C3537, with 302293, at the rear of a down passenger train, going away, between Leigh on Sea and Chalkwell, in  August, 1977, it can be seen how the electric tail lights were used and that hardly anyone was taking any notice of the train. 
The mixture of preserved railway photo’s are a great set, and in J1365, at Keighley, on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, with 41241, climbing away, to Oxenhope, in July, 1968, the steep climb is evident, and in those early days, a mixture of non BR liveries are to be seen.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the Blubell Railway from the mid to late 1970’s. The last photo’ of Horsted Keynes, December, 1975, shows a great side shot of the crane. So useful for modelling. 
The replacement photo’s of Bottesford on the Great Northern line between Grantham and Nottingham, are an excellent selection, and in that first photo’, at Bottesford Normanton Lane crossing, with a class 45, maybe D128, on an up mineral train in July, 1969, it can be seen that the 45 is well weathered lower down, which would look good on a model.

The photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne between Winning and North Blyth, are all of interest, with J11001, at Cambois, with Plasser and Theurer track machine, USP5000C, DR77318, in July, 1990, which is an excellent shot of it, and again, useful for modelling purposes.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

C5459 - 25 069's only appearance on the Leicester - Skegness in August 1981 was on 1st, together with 25 081.

C5460 - 20 070 worked the same day (and for most of that week), along with 20 075. It did reappear towards the end of the month, paired with 20 087, but (as the index numbers of the pictures are adjacent) I suspect that they were taken the same morning.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, 35A said:

C5459 - 25 069's only appearance on the Leicester - Skegness in August 1981 was on 1st, together with 25 081.

C5460 - 20 070 worked the same day (and for most of that week), along with 20 075. It did reappear towards the end of the month, paired with 20 087, but (as the index numbers of the pictures are adjacent) I suspect that they were taken the same morning.

That date makes sense, many thanks.

David

• RMweb Premium

Very nice to see the Cambrian photos again, especially the last one. I took one photo of a freight on the Cambrian line at about that time, south of Barmouth bridge, but their days on the coast were already numbered.

And of course Pont Brewit has been completely rebuilt.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of replacement photo’s of the Cambrian Coast line, from 1972 to 1982. In that last photo’ at Criccieth, with class 24, 5145, on a down goods train, in August, 1972, you have captured a delightful view, and I can’t help noticing a road, going up a very steep hill, in the background. The train is quite short, and mainly vans, and I think Bachmann make most if not all of that train - if not right now, certainly in the recent past.

The photo’s from around Shildon and the line to Eastgate in County Durham, are certainly of interest, from a railway point of view. Trains are not always needed in photo’s. In C6922, at Stanhope, looking west towards Eastgate on the 18th May, 1985, you can see how the line crossed a river on a viaduct, in a wooded area.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Some nice shots around Shildon and of the aqueduct (cutting south of tunnel June 75 J4451).

you can see the ‘short cut’ down the embankment to the points- we still used that into the 90’s until the boundary fences were mended and upgraded! Seems madness now with a playground in the field and holes left in fences!

image.jpeg.db438d139a63419619f688496bf41f68.jpeg

• Like 14