Newcastle Emlyn - Early goods rolling stock

Anotheran

• RMweb Gold

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your planning wth us, it has been very educational. I would also like to wish you and all your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Let's hope that your mum is well recovered and that you can avoid such scares in 2015.

Thank you for your kind words Jock, and your comments, support and suggestions through the year. Hopefully 2015 will see more modelling from me. I wish you a very merry Christmas and I pray that the New Year will bring you sufficient health to enjoy your modelling, and maybe start a thread :)

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

I've just discovered your thread. Perhaps I've not seen it before because it is in Railways of Wales rather than the layouts section. I've just spent a rather enjoyable time this morning with a mug of tea, scanning through from the start.

Merry Christmas

Nick,

Welcome to NE and thank you for your kind words. I'm very much a fan of Much Murkle which I have been following for a while and I am looking forward to the next edition of RM. Maybe as a layout NE should be in layouts, but at the time I felt that Railways of Wales (alongside the likes of ChrisN) was the right spot. Maybe if, when I start building, I don't get many answers to questions that I'm getting stuck on I'll ask AndyY to move it for me... but for now I'll stay, but I'm glad you found me!

I've really enjoyed the planning, though I am disappointed that I've not done as much modelling this year as I'd have wanted. So hopefully 2015 will change that! So I'm intending to keep it moving to keep followers interested!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've been following your thread for quite a while now and just realised that I've never posted before, sorry! It's been most interesting & informative.

Hi John and welcome to (posting on) NE!

No need to say sorry. I had seen you following and also rating, both of which are an encouragement to continue... but postings are very welcome! Thank you for your kind words. Even without modelling on the thread (which one could say makes it a bit of a fraud given what the site is!) I try to keep people interested. So I'm very pleased that people find it so.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you.

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

I'm very much a fan of Much Murkle which I have been following for a while and I am looking forward to the next edition of RM.

Neil

Unless Andy has been doing some moonlighting, you'll find it in BRM :declare:

Getting out the tools and making a start is the hardest part to overcome. Just allocate some time and set to. 

• Like 1

Hi Neil, just found you again as I never think to look into the Wales bit, (Sorry to any Welsh people watching, I love Wales really and often go to Bala on my Holidays) anyway I digress.

Just wanted to wish you and your Family a Very Happy Christmas and a Prosperous 2015 including Young Aidan. 

Yes I know I did this somewhere else already, but I cant find it at the moment. ahahhahah

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris and Andy,

Thank you both again for your kind words and for the inspiration you have both been throughout 2014. I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both of you and your families. May 2015 bring us all health, happiness and plenty of time to do some modelling!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Something else to divert you from actually building NE!

In 'Great Western Coaches from 1890' (Harris, 1993, Thomas & Lochar) there is a mention of TPO traffic to Newcastle Emlyn.

It apparently ran from Carmarthen between July 1895 and May 1904 and used 4-wheeled TPO vehicles nos 490 and 499. These were 28ft 0 3/4in long by 8ft 0 3/4in wide sorting and luggage vans built 1891/2 to diagram V6, later converted to full brakes. They had clerestories. .

There appears to be a kit available from the BGS (ex IKB, ref 4001), and also the conversions to V7 brakes can be done from the same kit.

Happy Modelling New Year

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Something else to divert you from actually building NE!

In 'Great Western Coaches from 1890' (Harris, 1993, Thomas & Lochar) there is a mention of TPO traffic to Newcastle Emlyn.

It apparently ran from Carmarthen between July 1895 and May 1904 and used 4-wheeled TPO vehicles nos 490 and 499. These were 28ft 0 3/4in long by 8ft 0 3/4in wide sorting and luggage vans built 1891/2 to diagram V6, later converted to full brakes. They had clerestories. .

There appears to be a kit available from the BGS (ex IKB, ref 4001), and also the conversions to V7 brakes can be done from the same kit.

Jonathan,

My sincere apologies for not picking up on your post and responding. That little bit of information is fascinating, it gives me yet more to think on. Though as you can see, I don't need much more to divert me from actually doing it!

As you know, my plan is to enable me to run NE in a number of different periods. My original plan was 1906 or 1911, 1930, 1949 and 1968 (but making the change to reality that a passenger service remained). I will also consider current era with the make-believe assumption that the preservation society succeeded in buying the line. The earliest date was mainly because I already have a timetable for 1906 and 1911, so was going to choose between them. However, I'm sure that with a little work I could make that earlier so take in the TPO service. Good job that DE is finally progressing... more hope of getting to NE some point this year!

Thanks so much for the information, especially the bit that tells me there is also a kit available. Something else to build :)

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you're looking for prototypical information re Newcastle Emlyn then B&R videos Vol 94 Steam North of Swansea has some excellent colour footage of some of the trains serving the area along with scenes around the station area/trackside views on the approach.

Dave,

So why am I quoting your post from last May? Well because I put the DVD you recommended on my Christmas list and it arrived! I've watched the bit on NE a couple of times through, though I'm going to have to take some time to pull out some still images that I can then work with. Thank you very much for pointing me to it. Not just because of NE, but also the fact that it included the line to Craven Arms through my mum's home village of Llanwrtyd and she recognised someone on the platform!

Thanks again!

Neil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Today saw the arrival of an exciting package from AC Staddon...

post-13426-0-96647200-1421869151_thumb.jpg

post-13426-0-34129400-1421869165_thumb.jpg

So NE now has a population of 22 men, no women, no children... and at the moment, no trains, no station and no railway. So I still have some distance to go... but it does have 22 men!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_3605.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3604.JPG

So NE now has a population of 22 men, no women, no children... and at the moment, no trains, no station and no railway. So I still have some distance to go... but it does have 22 men!

Neil,

You beat me to it.  Mine arrived in the last couple of days.  Traeth Mawr now has an excess of 64, yes, sixty people.  Towns along the Welsh coast had between 2 -3000 people so I few more to go yet.  ;)

They should just be able to stand on their own but it is a bit like dominoes when one goes.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_3605.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3604.JPG

Morning Neil, or rather it was when I started this.

Those NE men look the bees knees - so I went on Stadden's website to have a look. Wow. The detail. Shame he doesn't do the 50s-60s.

But the reason I'm posting is to find out what you're using to stand your population on. It looks mighty useful.

• RMweb Gold

They should just be able to stand on their own but it is a bit like dominoes when one goes.

I had two that refused to stand on their own, so for the sake of the group shot I stuck them all up!

Those NE men look the bees knees - so I went on Stadden's website to have a look. Wow. The detail. Shame he doesn't do the 50s-60s.

But the reason I'm posting is to find out what you're using to stand your population on. It looks mighty useful.

Hi Polly!

It's all Chris' fault... I was going to start with the 30s, and then move on to the 60s until he came along with all this turn of the 20th century nonsense! Now I'm buying figures that need me to heavily modify or scratch build stock to go with them... and I haven't even got a layout for them yet! ;) You're right though, the detail on the AC Stadden figures is fantastic. As soon as I saw them I knew I needed to get a crowd. Too many to work on NE, so I'll also have to go with Chris' other suggestion... the local male voice choir!

As for what I stood them in. It's a white equivalent of blue tac from 3M. But I wouldn't use it again. It was only after pushing all of the feet in that I remembered a key fact about such things... they leave an oily residue. Very fine, completely invisible, and almost certainly something that I'll need to get rid of in order for paint to adhere properly. Too enthusiastic you see, like a little boy opening a present!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

All his first ones stood on their own.  These seem to have more mould lines and a couple have flash, but you cannot take away the fact that they are very good and have amazing detail.

You know the 1900s make sense.  The locos were clean and looked brilliant, everyone took a pride in their railway, all goods for the area came by it and the coaches were something else.  GWR lining wasn't too difficult either.

Polly,

At £10.00 for 10 they are quite cheap per model although you have to buy a set.  Could the workmen fit in for a later scene?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had two that refused to stand on their own, so for the sake of the group shot I stuck them all up!

Hi Polly!

It's all Chris' fault... I was going to start with the 30s, and then move on to the 60s until he came along with all this turn of the 20th century nonsense! Now I'm buying figures that need me to heavily modify or scratch build stock to go with them... and I haven't even got a layout for them yet! ;) You're right though, the detail on the AC Stadden figures is fantastic. As soon as I saw them I knew I needed to get a crowd. Too many to work on NE, so I'll also have to go with Chris' other suggestion... the local male voice choir!

As for what I stood them in. It's a white equivalent of blue tac from 3M. But I wouldn't use it again. It was only after pushing all of the feet in that I remembered a key fact about such things... they leave an oily residue. Very fine, completely invisible, and almost certainly something that I'll need to get rid of in order for paint to adhere properly. Too enthusiastic you see, like a little boy opening a present!

Funny you should say that.  I was thinking GWR 1930-40s for GWRd then I had some lovely RMwebber stories about the' 60s and guess what?....  But I shall have some back to the good old days running sessions I'm sure - when I've built it.  Sometimes I wonder if I should I have stayed GWR but there are so many magnificent GWR layouts it's quite nice doing something a bit different and having a link between the 60s survivors and 21st century steam in the same place is quite exciting to do, especially as I've now seen so many of those survivors in recent years.  I'm sure (if I'm being positive) , we've both made the right decision to change our plans.

Thanks for the reminder about the oily bit.   I hold my figures in plastic tubes with blutack, usually for securing their pegs while I make them look pretty (or otherwise), but the figures get primed before blutack comes anywhere near them.  I suspect it affects additional coats of paint, so I'd better keep an eye on the matter as I test out accessories to make sure they'll look right before attaching or, as in the case of CQs Morris Men, make the accessories, in this case their hats. OK, I have to remember not to squash their heads when handling, but they've not fallen off yet!

I'm now armed with size 000 and 0000 brushes now, so my confidence in taking on unpainted figures has taken a quite a big leap but I'll have to pop by here as you do your population to pick up some tips as well as just to admire your progress.  Hope it goes well for you and you enjoy it, although if you're like me, the enjoyment bit will only be appreciated when they're finished.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Funny you should say that.  I was thinking GWR 1930-40s for GWRd then I had some lovely RMwebber stories about the' 60s and guess what?....  But I shall have some back to the good old days running sessions I'm sure - when I've built it.  I'm sure (if I'm being positive) , we've both made the right decision to change our plans.

I'm now armed with size 000 and 0000 brushes now, so my confidence in taking on unpainted figures has taken a quite a big leap but I'll have to pop by here as you do your population to pick up some tips as well as just to admire your progress.  Hope it goes well for you and you enjoy it, although if you're like me, the enjoyment bit will only be appreciated when they're finished.

I'm lucky in that NE didn't change substantially as far as buildings or track plan were concerned from opening in 1895 to the demolition of the engine shed in 1964 (sadly, between 1964 and 1967 the shed, the platform buildings and the signal box all went.) So I'm able to model a huge chunk of time prototypically by changing details (signs, vehicles, rolling stock and people... I don't intend to model different weed heights!). But seeing what Chris and others are doing pre-grouping has made me refocus on the order I'll get things done. I'm also intending to go beyond prototypical by making believe the line, including the all the buildings, were preserved. But that is all a long way off!

I wouldn't hold your breath for tips from me on figure painting though... It's been almost 30 years since I last did some and I wasn't very good then. So I'm very much going to rely on techniques I can pick up from Chris, Jaz and yourself. I don't lack confidence though... until I actually start doing something  :jester:

• Like 1

If you want something really different, you could assume that the Carmarthen and Cardigan Railway didn't stop at Llandysul, and got all the way to Cardigan. You could then model NE as a broad gauge through station set in around 1870.

Hopefully you'll share with us your painting of these, they look really interesting. The only thing I notice is they appear to be all the same height. But men go from 5ft to 6'6". The detail looks nice though.... :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

If you want something really different, you could assume that the Carmarthen and Cardigan Railway didn't stop at Llandysul, and got all the way to Cardigan. You could then model NE as a broad gauge through station set in around 1870.

:)

I may consider BG for a diorama in the future, but not for this one I'm afraid. I did consider having the line as through to Cardigan, but then realised that I would lose the shed and turntable like Llandyssil did after the extension to NE.

Thanks for the post though. I'll keep looking to your thread for my BG fix!

• RMweb Gold

When populating the scene, don't forget the 'Giant Beetle', as my great-uncle Bert Byng (from Hobart via Tipton) described the man carrying a coracle on his back to a member of the local constabulary...

Thanks Brian, I do want to have a coracle on the river. I like the idea of having another one on someone's back!

• Like 1