Ask Dave

DJM Dave

Surely a commissioner , they like Kernow they don't make anything.

On that basis so is DJM and Bachmann and Hornby - they all use factories that they don't own albeit with Bachmann it is their parent company.

As Hattons and Kernow are now going straight to a factory that puts them in the same place as the others - Rails and Realtrack are using Rapido so they use the old model (if going straight to the factory is the new model), RevolutioN are in between using a mix of sources depending on the circumstances.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

I have got a couple of things on order that have not been mentioned by Dave for ages. Since there hasn't been a "We're no longer doing that" message, then I'm happy that the models are still in the pipeline and the delivery date (if already given) hasn't changed. I don't need to know any more than that.

• 2 months later...

Dave

Bachmann is currently looking for a Senior project engineer for their Hongkong team:

http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2018/01/project-engineer/

The requirements seem quite steep to me. How do you judge the scene of potential applicants? Roughly how many applications will they receive? 50? Two? Ten? Did you often get new colleagues when still working with Dapol? Would you personally be interested hadn't it been for DJModels? (Just curious asking, no offence intended)

Regards

Felix

Hi Felix,

Thanks for pointing that out, i'm sure it will interest someone, but i don't think its for a job in HK, but  a Job in Barwell UK, going to HK whenever required, and, i would think, trips into China as well.

It's a job that will get interest, but its not a job for the faint hearted, as Bachmann will undoubtedly only pick the best of the best. It sounds as though its the kind of job i did back with my previous employer, but apart from a few models that were the remit of the factory of Chirk, i was otherwise left alone, with no staff under me as the company size didn't justify it at the time.

Would i have been interested if i wasn't running DJM? I'd be silly to say no to be honest.

Whoever is fortunate enough to get the job will love it.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dave - it is reported on the Class 74 thread that you have stated in a magazine that the CAD is now done on the Class 74. Is that accurate please?

Thanks

One hopes so, i’d not want an inaccurate one...

Sorry...i’ll Be quiet now.

There is a lot of demand for North East Locomotives .....

Is there ?

There are a few people who constantly post, but not "a lot".  Has the newly announced Hornby model sold out on pre-order yet ?  Have you a list of "lots" of people willing to sign up to a crowdfunding effort ?

Dave needs a model, or models, that sell in large numbers.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 1

Is there ?

There are a few people who constantly post, but not "a lot".  Has the newly announced Hornby model sold out on pre-order yet ?  Have you a list of "lots" of people willing to sign up to a crowdfunding effort ?

There are models that sell; models that don't and lots of people that say they will buy models and fail to when released!

Who knew that Hornby Pecketts would sell out so fast, just because a model does not sell out on preorder does not mean that it will not sell?

Mark Saunders

Is there ?

There are a few people who constantly post, but not "a lot". Has the newly announced Hornby model sold out on pre-order yet ? Have you a list of "lots" of people willing to sign up to a crowdfunding effort ?

There is the wish list poll run every year but this one. I don’t need to list. The facts are available from an independent source.

Is there ?

Not necessarily Phil. Dave just needs to sell as many models of his batch as he can.

He could offer a limited run of 50 LNER J37s and 50 BR versions at £350 a pop and as long as the vast majority sold I am sure he would be a happy bloke.

I guess it isn't always about volume, moreso how the cash flows through the project. 

How many locos are produced by the chap who runs OO Locoworks ? Fortunately, he seems to do mostly locos whixh don't fit my plan but I would love to have had a Midland 2F from his batch.

Edited by Covkid

Not necessarily Phil. Dave just needs to sell as many models of his batch as he can.

Indeed, how often do 'the regulars' post 'if Hornmann did XYZ I would buy 20 of them' but on release of said model, post 'it is too expensive, the lining is 0.002mm too wide etc, I am not buying any'?

I think that apart from a few crowdfunding models, and maybe a couple more on the way, I need to just knuckle down and get out what’s ive promised without adding to the list.

Luckily it’s not as long as my arm because I have a baboons arms which are plenty long enough ;-) lord knows what the baboon is using to swing from the trees though :-)

Did we ever get an answer to this question?

P

Sorry mate,

Just been too busy, parents both in hospital, designing stuff, APT, and more.

Just not had time to do anything, even the layout that I’m having to farm out to get electriceryfied.

No idea when I’ll get the time at the minute as well, which means one of 2 things....1) work harder and don’t sleep or 2) work harder, don’t sleep so much and not come on forums so often.

Cheers

Dave

No idea when I’ll get the time at the minute as well, which means one of 2 things....1) work harder and don’t sleep or 2) work harder, don’t sleep so much and not come on forums so often.

No worries. Thanks for finding the time to reply.

P