The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

The one Andy mentions is a sound decoder too! Not just a motor and lights decoder.

I checked on E bay and V4 21MTC is sound but ESU 54615 at around £25 presumably is motor and lights only. As I have ordered the DCC ready version with extra trailers I have not received mine yet nor any instruction manual.

I've just noticed that the first e-bay apt-e will have been sold by the end of today (3 April) which potentially means the buyer is likely to recieve a model before some of us who purchased From the original supplier.

Sorry, but can't help feeling slightly frustrated about this and had to get it off my chest.

Rant over. Apologies to Sandra who must be working flat out and deserves all the accolades for getting so many models out already.

A bit miffed but trying to be patient. D7100.

• Like 1

I've just noticed that the first e-bay apt-e will have been sold by the end of today (3 April) which potentially means the buyer is likely to recieve a model before some of us who purchased From the original supplier.

Sorry, but can't help feeling slightly frustrated about this and had to get it off my chest.

Rant over. Apologies to Sandra who must be working flat out and deserves all the accolades for getting so many models out already.

Then by all means buy it and sell yours on when it arrives, otherwise I think we've gone over this ground already. :)

But will have paid probably twice as much as you have.

Maybe Sandra should have phoned us all to check our intentions for the model before posting out.

Mark

The person winning on e-bay today still has to wait a few days before actually getting it.

It takes a long time to key in 2000 postal addresses into UPS. The good news is, your pre order is half the price of the one on ebay.

For me, this definitely model of the year.

The aliens have landed on Marton Central:

35603414302_df93434271_b.jpgP1070775am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

35603413922_e8cc1b72bc_b.jpgP1070779am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Back-to-backs are a bit tight on the driven bogies. It also hits the curved platform in one direction due to the tilt (Mark III stock does not) and the overhang at the ends is such that nothing can run on the opposite line.  Still an excellent model though and only £15 more than a Kernow 2H for double the train (including being driven at both ends).

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 17

Maybe Sandra should spend a day or two contacting everyone who has ordered one (or two) and ask if they intend to sell them, if they answer yes then they go to the bottom of the list.

As long as everyone is honest there wont be a problem, of course while she is doing this she wont be packing anything!

<edit Reevesthecat has made the same point>

Or Sandra can just get on with packing them and get them out the door as quick as she possibly can.

Why does everyone expect things instantly these days, I am sure Sandra wants to see the last one of these out the door as much as we want to see them in our hands, Locomotion is a very small team who they are doing their very best and I bet they get just a little peeved at peoples impatience!

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

Maybe Sandra should spend a day or two contacting everyone who has ordered one (or two) and ask if they intend to sell them, if they answer yes then they go to the bottom of the list.

As long as everyone is honest there wont be a problem, of course while she is doing this she wont be packing anything!

<edit Reevesthecat has made the same point>

Or Sandra can just get on with packing them and get them out the door as quick as she possibly can.

Why does everyone expect things instantly these days, I am Sandra wants to see the last one of these out the door as much as we want to see them in our hands, Locomotion is a very small team who they are doing their very best and I bet they get just a little peeved at peoples impatience!

I have to say that unless we signed a contact to promise that any purchase of the APT-e was strictly for personal use, then no one has any right to get upset by people who see the APT-E as an investment, rather than a model to be used on a layout, Personally I actually understand them more than than I understand someone who buys it (especially the sound model) and then keeps it in a display case, or even more extreme in the unopened packaging as a collector.

Edited by Vistiaen
  • Like 1

iirc originally there was not enough folk wanted the model to make a large enough batch for Rapido to go ahead, but they did so, anyway. If you were to take away the number of models  that will be sold on ebay/elsewhere, and perhaps those that will sit on a shelf, or otherwise not fit into some folks idea as to the 'correct' reason for buying the model, then I guess the numbers left would be nowhere enough for anyone to be able to buy the model. I think the major concern would be if the few ebayed models went for half the original price, not double, but either way it should not make any difference to the folk who just want to admire it running.

edit cross posted with Vistiaen, above

edit -typo

Edited by raymw

or otherwise not fit into some folks idea as to the 'correct' reason for buying the model, then I guess the numbers left would be nowhere enough for anyone to be able to buy the model. 

'It's shiny and I want it' meets my definition of 'correct reason' quite nicely :)

• RMweb Premium

We really ought not to be criticizing Sandra and Locomotion as I'm sure they have much more to do in their jobs than just posting out APT-Es. Give them a break.

• RMweb Gold

Wow, almost up to 100 pages this thread, just shows the interest in this machine (and Mr Tilts contributions have been a real bonus so a big thank you to him)

Looking forward to receiving mine and playing with it

Just wondered whether it is known how many sets have been made (2000?) and how many extra coaches.

• Like 2

I know this won't go down too well with those waiting for the models but after reading the instructions and continual warnings about what could happen I am too frightened to take mine out of the box. I suspect a bit of Dutch courage will not help much either!

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I know this won't go down too well with those waiting for the models but after reading the instructions and continual warnings about what could happen I am too frightened to take mine out of the box. I suspect a bit of Dutch courage will not help much either!

Mark

I've connected, disconnected, reconnected loads of times now. The mechanical connection is via the large spade thingies, the electrical connections are above these, so keep an eye on them. The way I did it was to concentrate on the mechanical connections, so was holding the train fairly low down. This lead to an electrical connection not making correctly. Once I'd spotted this, it was simply a matter of holding the train slightly higher up to make the plug and socket slip home.

Now having adjusted the volumes, I don't have to wear ear defenders whilst playing trains.

• Like 1

iirc originally there was not enough folk wanted the model to make a large enough batch for Rapido to go ahead, but they did so, anyway. If you were to take away the number of models  that will be sold on ebay/elsewhere, and perhaps those that will sit on a shelf, or otherwise not fit into some folks idea as to the 'correct' reason for buying the model, then I guess the numbers left would be nowhere enough for anyone to be able to buy the model. I think the major concern would be if the few ebayed models went for half the original price, not double, but either way it should not make any difference to the folk who just want to admire it running.

edit cross posted with Vistiaen, above

edit -typo

Out of interest, how do you know that not enough people wanted the model at first in order to make a batch?

E-train being tested at Ruddington MRC today on the public running day (generally open when GCR Nottingham are running trains). Ran superbly. Drew a fair amount of interest, one person asking if it's scratch built, others asking where to buy it from. Hardly anyone looked at the kettles that were running, always just the interior of E train haha.

A843D0DA-170E-44FB-9547-77469FE91081_zps

81FE3BEF-EDA9-4F64-8B06-A23932B7DCC6_zps

• Like 15

Nice pics and upon inspection a stupid question... which perhaps Kit will be able to answer. Why did one power car only have a single windscreen wiper?

Martin

The two systems were being tested against each other to see which worked best, with a view to fitting the best version to the P-Trains. As it worked out neither had an advantage over the other, and in the end the P-Train ended up with a conventional centre hinged single wiper blade. As I mentioned earlier one of PC1s twin wipers was broken off on one of the last Test Track runs from a bird strike and was never replaced, which explains a) why the few pics taken of the last run to York show only one wiper blade, and b) why it's like that to this day. We may replace it one day, but as PC1 is right at the far end of the train it's not exactly high priority at the moment. You can see which end is which in the last few running days as PC1 carried a silver video camera in the bottom left hand corner until it got to York.

buO8iJ.jpg

It's interesting to note that the 390s have twin wipers, but both are hinged in the corners of the windscreen and don't 'clap hands' like some car wipers, but criss-cross each other.

I love that pic of an E-Train model alongside an LRC Train, Trevor Easton would like that as he was involved with BOTH trains.  :sungum:

I must take a 'twinned' pic with my Turbo Train model. 

• Like 1