The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Whilst the oil lamp holder might be the right answer, I think you might be chronologically inaccurate, as far as I am aware APT has not even run in the 21st century, let alone carrying a 21st century oil lamp! (unless of course it was a deliberate mistake!!!)

Actually it did, although not under its own power and not the whole train. PC1 and PC2 were hauled across the ECML to Thrall Yard on 11-11-2004 by an 08 Shunter and we DID have a lamp (but not an oil lamp) on the back, but we couldn't find the bracket iron itself and had to use string to hang it off the crash jack. :no:

zo0d.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

It's been asked a couple of times. I think there was mention in the video of just one decoder. At £100 price difference for the DCC sound version, that would also indicate one decoder.  Hopefully Andy or Jason can confirm.

Hi Kit

I have uploaded a better scan of that picture at St Pancras now...

Some P-Trains also had holes for a lamp iron or a NOT TO BE MOVED sign, in addition to the ones that were hidden under the nose cone.

DTS 48103 still had the oil lamp in a cupboard in the cab when it arrived at CHC in 1988.

Rob

www.APT-P.com

post-1305-0-01067700-1404312722_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-66832900-1404313319_thumb.jpg

Edited by aptp
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I never knew that before Rob, thanks for the info.

It makes you wonder just HOW much BR were ready for the 20th century, let alone the 21st!

There were in fact extremely good reasons for it.  Unless the relevant engineers could guarantee that the battery supply would hold up for long enough then there was really no alternative to having an oil lamp available.  This was why a reliable battery electric tail lamp took so long to develop because it needed not only to have an adequate battery life but incontrovertible proof, by simple test, that there was sufficient life in the battery.

It was the same story with many early dmus, and locos, which had either electric tail lights or red shades to put in front of a 'white'  light - the battery life could not be guaranteed.   Many dmmus could lose their battery charge in a working day as speeds might be low and stops frequent so they put little into the batteries while lights etc busily drained them and they had to be recharged overnight.   The Southern was luckier because in its use of red shades in destination blinds it at least had a traction supply or the design of its diesel electric units ensured that batteries were kept charged.  

For much of the railway's history, a tail lamp, lit or unlit, on the final vehicle of a train signified that the train was complete. IIRC it only had to be lit during the hours of darkness or specific adverse weather conditions. This applied during the APT-E and APT-P eras.

• RMweb Gold

The Southern was luckier because in its use of red shades in destination blinds it at least had a traction supply or the design of its diesel electric units ensured that batteries were kept charged.  

Even so, despite having had units with batteries for more than 30 years, ISTR it was only in 1963 that Southern Region allowed the red-roller blinds to supplant the oil tail-lamp on electric trains.

• RMweb Gold

So do they use oil lamps now?

And how would they know that the oil lamp wouldn't a] run out oil or b] not get blown out?

No, the main use nowadays on passenger trains is inbuilt lamps but they must have sufficient standby battery power available  (there was a stated period of time in the BR era, and something of a hiatus when it became apparent that Eurostar sets weren't compliant - they had to have some revisions to the software and battery circuitry etc in order to become compliant).  Freights use portable battery lamps - which were several years in development before approval for use.

Oil lamps did occasionally get blown out but the Rules provided a mechanism to deal with that,  And lamp wells were filled and wicks  checked before they were put out as ready for use.

Ordered the sound version, should look good running alongside my Heljan Beyer Garratts................well, it's my railway :imsohappy:

I knew there would be reason somewhere that I could use to justify an APT.

47996 due very soon I believe.

Oil lamps did occasionally get blown out but the Rules provided a mechanism to deal with that,  And lamp wells were filled and wicks  checked before they were put out as ready for use.

.........in theory. When I went out as engineering operations supervisor on renewals jobs, I learnt well from an old hand to always keep a supply of spare, primed and ready tail lamps in our van, instead of using up Bardic lamps (which you would never see again)! I can count on one hand the occasions when they were not needed. Then, when the new-fangled battery, flashing tail lamps came in, the biggest problem was not the battery life, but that they would get nicked by any "foreign" crew, whose depot had not yet been issued. After that, no depot ever seemed to have enough - all the decent ones on chargers were earmarked for regular runs, so for e-trains, the "spares" in the depot offices or the shunters' huts would almost invariably be duds. I would sincerely hope that has all changed these days!

Hi

I would be interested in an N version also.

Cheers

Paul

Diito for me too PLEASE JASON! 

I'm on board for a OO DCC version with extra coaches, BUT I will DEFINITELY throw my wallet into the pot for an N Scale version too! :imsohappy:

My resistance is wilting by the day. Especially given the price being asked.

And even more so now that we've established that it might have been a not infrequent visitor to Waverley during the late 70s. Ahem. Moving on swiftly... 

Edited by Waverley West

My resistance is wilting by the day. Especially given the price being asked.

And even more so now that we've established that it might have been a not infrequent visitor to Waverley during the late 70s. Ahem. Moving on swiftly... 

Definitely!. Saw them there, myself. Two of them. Side by side!

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2