The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Hi all,

Here is a sample of the 3D scan. I have 30 of these from different angles. Tim is assembling them into one 3D model and he expects to have that ready by the end of next week. Then we can start modifying the model drawings.

It's pretty neat to move this around on my desktop...

-Jason

attachicon.gif3D-Scan.jpg

That scan makes the nose look like it is melting away from the body and about to droop on the ground. Maybe due to the heat from the laser involved....

Don,t forget instructions will need to be in at least 15 languages including Ch'ti for the EU market.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

post-1305-0-29492400-1404311951_thumb.jp

Gosh - In this view the APT-E appears to be very happy to see us!

-Jason

Reminds a few of us of K9 from Doctor Who and the much loved Sarah Jane Smith.

The Question is which came first K9 or the APT-E?

• RMweb Gold

Nobody mentioned the fact that the GWR ordered a Brown Boveri gas turbine loco because they were really impressed by the whooshing sound it made (Gresley didn't have anything like that they sneered!).

They decided to try a multiple unit as well. APT-E was the result. It was intended to speed up journeys on the branch lines currently provided by a 48XX and auto trailer

Production delays meant, like the loco, it wasn't delivered until long after the demise of the company.

It was tested in secret on the ex GWR lines before being let loose on the rest of BR, once it had been found to be a little overpowered for branch line service. :jester:

Keith

Oh that's a good one, almost believable

• RMweb Gold

The Question is which came first K9 or the APT-E?

According to Wikipedia K9 first appeared in 1977, meaning the APT-E came first.

Anyone got an explanation?  perhaps APT-E was the inspiration for K9 or perhaps K9 was such a fast running dog that he needed a streamlined front. (come to think of it, a bit like a greyhound)

• RMweb Premium

I gave up and ordered one. I think we need a competition for the best rewriting of history as to why the APT-E ran on any given line at any given point in time.

I'm currently building a model representing the RTC as it is in very recent times. My simple excuse is that the preserved (and restored to working order) APT-E is making a guest appearance at an open day.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

According to Wikipedia K9 first appeared in 1977, meaning the APT-E came first.

Anyone got an explanation? perhaps APT-E was the inspiration for K9 or perhaps K9 was such a fast running dog that he needed a streamlined front. (come to think of it, a bit like a greyhound)

That's interesting, I hadn't considered that juxtaposition.......

In 1972 when I was working on E-Train I used to do aircraft kit reviews for 'Scale Models' magazine and Matt Irvine, who invented K9, did other reviews for the same mag and we met at MAP's offices now and then. I wonder if I mentioned E-Train to him and got him looking at the shape etc? I must ask him next time I see him. :no:

I'm currently building a model representing the RTC as it is in very recent times. My simple excuse is that the preserved (and restored to working order) APT-E is making a guest appearance at an open day.

Cheers,

Mick

That's very interesting Mick, it hadn't occured to me before but the RTC would make a great layout with a HUGE variety of different locos and rolling stock. You could even run mainline stuff along the Derby - Trent Junction line in the background. And there'd be no trouble in finding details of the structures etc as it's all still there.

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

See post 260 onwards, especially 270!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I am so pleased that this model will be made. E train has been one of my wish list votes for many years.

I ordered my sound version (plus 'what if' coach) this morning.

It is slightly out of my core era, but it is obvious that the APT-E was designed to propel passengers through time (thus the obvious design similarities between K9 and E train). The hope of ever faster transport (arriving at your destination before you considered leaving) was of great importance to BR in the 70s. Signalling was the death nail in the experiment.

I hope this explains sightings of E train next to Beyer Garratts and Dibber25s duel sightings at Waverley (passengers were very confused when they arrived at both 6:00pm and 6:05pm).

• Like 1

The APT-E was also sighted in the south east. Tested as a replacement for the boat train.

A south eastern version would have had an APT--MLV, with loading doors on the front end. The MLV was designed to break with a sudden stop, and instantly load the luggage unto the ship.

It's time travel aspects explain why drivers in SECR period saw UFTs. SECR managers tried to hide up the sightings by saying it was sun light reflecting off the domes...

These facts justify running the APT-E on my layout.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That's very interesting Mick, it hadn't occured to me before but the RTC would make a great layout with a HUGE variety of different locos and rolling stock. You could even run mainline stuff along the Derby - Trent Junction line in the background. And there'd be no trouble in finding details of the structures etc as it's all still there.

Hi Kit,

I already have a decent collection of yellow stuff, but always looking for something different. I also have a good number of recent site photos and having seen a number of other photos taken through the years, it wouldn't be too difficult to backdate it to include more of the exotic items. I do wonder, if one day, the APT-E would make it back to it's spiritual home for some event or other.

(Yellow stuff and layout links in my sig)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

A little video promo I have made for the APT-E model, note, Rapido know nothing about this, Its just a crazy video bit of fun.

http://www.apt-e.org/videos/video.wmv

I really hope this works, please let me know.

Paul

It says a plug in is needed to play, but not which one! (I have wmv playback capability, so I don't know what the problem is!)

Keith

HAHA, I hope so Andy, never really did got the chance to say thank you for our Italian, and to speak with you.  I really like the interview with Kit and myself and David, well done.

Edited by experimental

• RMweb Premium

oh, my test machine is all standard apart from the DVD encoder, so not sure what your problem is.  I will have a look to see if I can find the problem.

Just tried another Win 7 PC - higher spec - still no show.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

My machines are FX8350 cpu's.

I'm using Core i7 machines with bags of memory and separate graphics, but It's Firefox that's the problem. Works fine on IE

Nice bit of fun

Keith

My workaround was to use a copy of VLC (from videolan.org), which in my experience will play just about every video format. 

The video lives at http://www.apt -e.org/videos/video.wmv. (I've broken this address by inserting a space after "apt" so browsers don't try to interpret it as embedded video). It can be downloaded from here or played direct by VLC.

I'd expect YouTube's copyright filters to delete the soundtrack if it was uploaded there.

Edited repeatedly because the URL wasn't displaying right...

Edited by ejp

I have no idea what the last half dozen or so posts are talking about , cant see any thing either but I know there are pictures in there of E whilst it was  allocated to Springs Branch Wiganish for all of 1976.

• Like 1

I gave up and ordered one. I think we need a competition for the best rewriting of history as to why the APT-E ran on any given line at any given point in time.

I have ordered one with two extra coaches after my 11 year old suggested this is what the Virgin Voyagers should have been. Hope he doesn't expect a repaint!

Out of the mouths of babes

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You use a mac then!!!  LOL a big joke buy a cheat PC with ubuntu, same thing!!!, just a hell of a lot cheaper!

34 years in the business tells me what is what!,

I love unix.

Or run Mac OS on a half decent laptop using hackintosh.

One third the price and the machines are just as well made. (probably come out of the same Chinese factory!!!)

Keith