The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Premium

Ordered 2 sound fitted 10 days ago & not had my numbers yet!

I think I've seen a posting that you have to contact Locomotion at Shildon to get your certificate number.

Cheers,

Mick

and how many would have ordered a rapido apt-p i wonder even though they dont have one stitch of knitting up.....

we can all make it up as we go. thats part of the fun.

I think an affordable, easy and good-looking catenary system is inevitable.  The next generation of modellers is not going to be interested in the 1960s and earlier, so catenary is going to be necessary.

When that day comes, a P train can do well.  Until more people have catenary, I think it would be too risky to produce.

I personally love looking at well-modelled wires.  Watching a model electric with its coat hanger up and engaged with the catenary is really wonderful.  

-Jason

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I ordered mine two weeks ago and my order number was pi.

It was better than Bill's - his order number was the square root of -1.

I doubt he'll ever see his train seeing as his order number is a mathematical impossibility.

:stinker: 

Who ever replies to Bill put down i

• RMweb Premium

I think an affordable, easy and good-looking catenary system is inevitable.  The next generation of modellers is not going to be interested in the 1960s and earlier, so catenary is going to be necessary.

When that day comes, a P train can do well.  Until more people have catenary, I think it would be too risky to produce.

I personally love looking at well-modelled wires.  Watching a model electric with its coat hanger up and engaged with the catenary is really wonderful.  

-Jason

Thanks for the idea, we have no model catenary in 4mm scale suitable for the West Coast mainline, a few mast designs, and a few portal designs would cover a lot of what was required,

There are experts who know (a lot) more than me.

-Jason

Hmmmm so its not a no :P

Except an APT-P train is our nostalgia. I grew up in the 70s and 80s.

Most of us had a Hornby one as a kid ( I had to wait until I was an adult as I got told "you already have an HST"), and I,m sure we would all love a "proper job" of the APT-P now.

I wonder if Rapido will sell the book separately perhaps. I've no interest in the model, but that book looks a 'must have' :read:

It would be a nice touch if the post-cancellation career paths of the original project team members could be acknowledged. I'd be interested to know what benefited from their dispersal.

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

-Jason

Here you go Jason 

Even better when said coat-hanger goes up and down on command ;) (see at 1:07)

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 5

It would be a nice touch if the post-cancellation career paths of the original project team members could be acknowledged. I'd be interested to know what benefited from their dispersal.

The Nim.

That may be be quite difficult to sort out and it would need a lot of research talking to the rest of the team.

One thing that definitely benefitted was the ECML as the Class 91s are pretty much non-tilting APT-P power cars with cabs, and their Chief Engineer was Mike Newman from the APT team. Many of us were dispersed into other, non-rail, industries though, so the benefits of our experiences were somewhat diluted.

• RMweb Premium

Explanation:

As the pan approaches the contact wire it will be at or about 0 volts. (It doesn't matter whether any contactors on the loco are made or not)

When it is close enough (maybe 25mm, give or take) there will be a flashover as the 25kV jumps the gap.

In the reverse situation there will be an arc as soon as the pan leaves the contact wire lasting until the gap is too great to maintain it

Unless atmospheric conditions are bad (e.g. high humidity) the flashes will be very brief.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hi,  I've ordered one.  Thanks due to Sandra at Rapido for responding so quickly (via RM web) with my order number (197) which is really encouraging and great customer service.

Hi,  I've ordered one.  Thanks due to Sandra at Rapido for responding so quickly (via RM web) with my order number (197) which is really encouraging and great customer service.

What is also encouraging is the numbers ordered already and the order line is open until 30th April so will be a nice production run I suspect but also (hopefully) a good fundraiser for the NRM.

Hi

Sandra is at Locomotionmodels.com and working with Rapido

Cheers

Sandra at locomotionmodels.com

btw , the certificate numbers start at No 1 for both the DCC Ready and Sound versions, just in case anyone was wondering.

• Like 1