The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

I somehow managed to resist a Blue Pullman, lovely model though it was, but I'm getting a strong feeling that resisting this one might just be beyond me.

They're trying to tilt your arm behind your back. Another case of Locomotivation....an incurable virus......treatable at Nurse Sandra's hospice for weak-willed RMWebbers by a couple or three injections of succumbicillin. Go on.....what are you waiting for.....group therapy ?

Jason's instruction book in the GMD-1 says that they get lonely and you need to have several of them. It'll be interesting to see how he tempts folk to buy more than one APT-E. As a Canadian product the GMD-1 has to have its instructions in English and French, resulting in a thick little booklet. I wonder if that will apply to the APT-E, too.

CHRIS LEIGH

I somehow managed to resist a Blue Pullman, lovely model though it was, but I'm getting a strong feeling that resisting this one might just be beyond me.

rule 1 ...... Remember rule 1 ....

even more so if you bought the extra what if coach...

I have a question which others may want to know the answer to.... Jason can you help with this...

Will the DCC sound version of the APT work on a DC track?  Is there a little bit of a whistle possible?

Cheers

The DCC version does indeed work on DC track and you will hear the engine sounds.  As for whether you can use the user-controlled sounds, that depends on what extra doo-dads you have attached to your DC system.  The decoder is a LokSound.

-Jason

• Like 1

Hi all,

Here is a sample of the 3D scan. I have 30 of these from different angles. Tim is assembling them into one 3D model and he expects to have that ready by the end of next week. Then we can start modifying the model drawings.

It's pretty neat to move this around on my desktop...

-Jason

post-20909-0-81961500-1404483554_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

It's pretty neat to move this around on my desktop...

I bet!

I don't suppose you have a screen recorder you could treat us to a clip of it?

I know a few people have asked about the number of decoders and/or speakers in the DCC Sound version, I'm guessing it's one decoder but will it be wired through for a second speaker in the other PC?

• Like 1

I bet!

I don't suppose you have a screen recorder you could treat us to a clip of it?

I know a few people have asked about the number of decoders and/or speakers in the DCC Sound version, I'm guessing it's one decoder but will it be wired through for a second speaker in the other PC?

Our goal is indeed to have one decoder and connectors between the cars.

If we find that this causes too many problems, we'll go to two decoders.  But we think we can do it with one.  

-Jason

Hello

My name is Dave. Many years ago, I began to get involved in something I couldn't really handle, playing with model trains. It seemed innocent at first, as I had dabbled with them in my youth. Then things got gradually worse as I fell in with the wrong crowd as I joined a website for people suffering with the same problems. Yet the people on there kept inciting me to buy stuff I couldn't afford and didn't need. Now things have got so bad that I have decided to do something about it and that's why I am here today telling you about it. I had no idea things would get this bad, buying stuff I didn't really need with no real justification.

When I placed an order for an APT-E a few minutes ago after being egged on by fellow addicts on the aforementioned website, I realised it was time to speak out and seek help.

I hope you can understand my situation and won't pre-judge me too harshly. I know some of you have faced the same problems and hope you can help me get through this.

Dave

Hello

My name is Dave. Many years ago, I began to get involved in something I couldn't really handle, playing with model trains. It seemed innocent at first, as I had dabbled with them in my youth. Then things got gradually worse as I fell in with the wrong crowd as I joined a website for people suffering with the same problems. Yet the people on there kept inciting me to buy stuff I couldn't afford and didn't need. Now things have got so bad that I have decided to do something about it and that's why I am here today telling you about it. I had no idea things would get this bad, buying stuff I didn't really need with no real justification.

When I placed an order for an APT-E a few minutes ago after being egged on by fellow addicts on the aforementioned website, I realised it was time to speak out and seek help.

I hope you can understand my situation and won't pre-judge me too harshly. I know some of you have faced the same problems and hope you can help me get through this.

Dave

The only way out of your situation is to gorge yourself on new models until you are sick. I would order as many APT-Es as your bank account will stand. That should cure you. Possibly.

Paul

There's all sorts of information in that photo.

The whole aero probe isn't fitted, just its mounting tube, the real thing was maybe 3-4 ft longer. There's also the dreaded oil lamp bracket and I can tell you that it's PC1 we're looking at. Why? Because it has two wiper blades and the video-cam in the corner of the windscreen. PC2 only had one wiper blade and no video-cam.

I wonder if anyone will be mad enough to paint a smile on their E-Train model? :mosking:

Edited by Mr_Tilt

• RMweb Gold

I gave up and ordered one. I think we need a competition for the best rewriting of history as to why the APT-E ran on any given line at any given point in time. In my case (Chard branchline in the early 60's) I'm struggling, I’ve got as far as Beeching was abducted by aliens, and the resulting increase in military spending accelerated technology development to a great extent meant that the nearby top secret and therefore not on any map aircraft engine development site needed a testbed for their work on gasturbines…

Another thing, flashing lights in the measuring car will not be at all realistic unless there are some seriously bearded boffins monitoring them.

• RMweb Gold

I gave up and ordered one. I think we need a competition for the best rewriting of history as to why the APT-E ran on any given line at any given point in time.

Well when one was on trials to Inverness to see how it would cope wth the many curves at speed, it broke down, and was hauled back to Edinburgh by an immaculate Beyer Garrett, still painted in original LMS livery with standard bunker.  (I think)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I will definitely be bordering one of these. Somehow it will have been saved via the power of magic, and will appear along side the Hogwarts Express on my Kings Cross to Goathland/ Platform 9 3/4 to Hogwarts layout.

• RMweb Premium

Nobody mentioned the fact that the GWR ordered a Brown Boveri gas turbine loco because they were really impressed by the whooshing sound it made (Gresley didn't have anything like that they sneered!).

They decided to try a multiple unit as well. APT-E was the result. It was intended to speed up journeys on the branch lines currently provided by a 48XX and auto trailer

Production delays meant, like the loco, it wasn't delivered until long after the demise of the company.

It was tested in secret on the ex GWR lines before being let loose on the rest of BR, once it had been found to be a little overpowered for branch line service. :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1