Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Yes, I saw that Eric but am going for the Alan Gibson coaches as they seem the most complete and Jon F. has a brilliant workshop thread detailing his build of 4 coaches which will help a great deal seeing as these will be my first attempt at 7mm brass kits ... :O

Thanks .. Andy

If you want any of the little home made castings I did for details on the bogies , PM me, you are welcome to some.

JF

• RMweb Premium

According to Tower Models, first batch of 3 Terriers is now due in the second week of August & 2 other liveries in September. The sound fitted versions of these three types should be available approximately 3 weeks later

Price increase on 2nd batch

http://www.tower-models.com/

Dava

Price rise of 50 pounds once the first batch is sold. How come I am not surprised?

To be fair to Dapol, this isn't new news. Hardly surprising considering the lengthy lead time from when the first batch price was announced and now.

Put into context, even with the £50 price raise, the Terrier woukd still be similarly priced to the Ixion Hudswell Clarke.

Cheers,

Andrew

Given price inflation from China what was merely cheap when the Terrier was announced is very cheap to very very cheap now.

The Terrier, even after the price rise for the second batch, will still be very cheap IMHO.

Dapol have done vastly better than a certain other manufacturer to hold prices for the first batch.  What do we expect them to do, sell at a loss?

Les

Edited by Les1952

Hattons have replied to say they're hoping to deliver Bodiam "towards the end of August but unfortunately we have not yet had notification from Dapol as to when these will arrive with us.". So maybe a bit optimistic.

So another announced delivery date slides. Why am I not surprised? Why do they bother giving a date for delivery, given how many times they have failed to deliver on a promised delivery window. Looks like these will now miss my Father's birthday, just as they managed to miss Father's day, his wedding anniversary, and Christmas - all of which at one time or another were promised delivery dates.

• RMweb Gold

Because people moan if they won't say when ;) If they arrive early then some don't have the money ready and would get upset. Later dates are disappointing but you can always get another present if it's a birthday etc. There's a J15 sat in my drawer for my Dads birthday as it missed last year and I already had a Xmas present sorted.

• RMweb Gold

I can't understand why there should be any sort of to-ing & fro-ing over August delivery dates for any of these locos.  If they are going to arrive in August they will by now have been manufactured and if they're due on the 10th they will be somewhere on the high seas so eminently traceable.

I fully realise containers can be offloaded at a different port or rerouted as a ship is restowed and that there can be delays in clearance out of the port but all of that is something which can be taken into account once Dapol know the stuff is on the way and has been loaded to ship.  Let's face it none of it is rocket science and if DJM knew what ship the Kernow Well Tanks were on it doesn't seem a massive task for Dapol to keep an eye on the ship its goods are on or for their shipping agent to track the container the Terriers are in.

Well I'm getting bored by the whole thing, I was quite excited when I first learned about the proposed Terriers, two years ago now I think, even more so when there appeared to be an IOW version included.

I had recently purchased a lovely  Adams O2 pre-made kit and wanted a stablemate for 'Sandown'. 

Time has dragged on, and it now appears there will not be an IOW version in this batch, and I don't have the skills to kit bash, or the inclination. 

An email to Dapol to clarify the point didn't receive a reply, and now it would seem that if there if such a version it will have increased substantially in price, and is so far in mercurial future as to be not worth considering.

I am not going to waste anymore time on it, Sandown looks nice on my shelf, but the garden railway I was considering has also been shelved (pardon the pun).

I am slightly in the same situation with the Kernow 02, but I can run something else on my now under construction indoor oo gauge.

If Dapol wanted to increase the excitement and anticipation over the arrival of the Terriers they should be only to please to trumpet each movement stage to the UK and the retail outlets, even if that is to say they are stuck at Rotterdam.

Whoever gets  the model that might have been mine, I hope you enjoy it and treat it nicely/.

If the bl66dy things are on a boat, then why the h3ll didn't they send a couple of proper production models by air mail, in packaging, so they could show them on their web site?

Ed

Edited by edcayton
  • Like 1

Would have been better if they'd just said "they'll be here when they're here, now stop whining."

Certainly wot I feel like saying......not that I would of course.....

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 3

I understand that Dapol have said "they are on the boat".

The next announcement will no doubt say "they are being sent out to dealers"

Until then almost everything is out of Dapol's control. 

Four years ago a company I sing with was waiting for a consignment of special mugs from the US (ones that reacted to stage lights in a distinctive way).  Said mugs were sent five weeks before the show, but didn't make it.  They were in a container at Liverpool docks when the show went up, and had been there 18 days.  Another consignment in the same container didn't have customs  clearance and the whole container was held- nothing could be released until everything was.

All the very best

Les

We eventually received them two weeks after the show closed.

Edited by Les1952

Does anyone know what current they will draw? Will I need an O gauge controller, or as they're pretty small, will a 4mm scale one do? I only have a Gaugemaster Combi at the moment. To start with, it won't be doing anything more strenuous than shunting two wagons.

• RMweb Premium

I'd think a Combo will be fine for the Terrier, I use one for Ixion locos & my own builds with Mashima motors. I've yet to see how the Heljan railcar will get on as mine is in the UK.

Dava

So far I've run all my O gauge stuff on a standard Hornby Trainset controller - the old type, which was black with a red speed knob and a separate reversing switch. According to one electronics guru, this was the best standard trainset controller on the market. Of course, things like gaugemaster and other PWM controllers are superior in quality, but the review was for standard trainset stuff. The old "powermite" which was made in mostly grey and brown cases are basically useless for anything except making your trains run at 200mph and stop.

I have operated an Ixion HC, MW and an Atlas 0-6-0 shunter on the same controller all at once and it presented no problems, although I am sure that the Atlas was drawing the most power out of everything on the track.

Edited by hartleymartin

I was won over by "Thames" and have placed an order with my local dealer.

Not an O gauge man but these are too nice to pass up. Suppose I'll have to get a test track and some stock to go with. Should suffice until they release Stepney as preserved currently.

Though Ixion's Hudswell Clarke's are looking tempting........