RMweb

Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

I have two of Mr Sutton's fine locomotives both are 00gauge, noiseless  silent not fitted for sound and are controlled by simple but effective DC. I remain more than happy in my isolated realm of the past.

I was invited to the launch of the class 24s but was unable to make it, one of the downsides of being self employed no one to swap duties with.

Your not entirely by yourself, there are others of us who estew the "delights" of DCC.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Your not entirely by yourself, there are others of us who estew the "delights" of DCC.

If it wasn't for us 00 DC luddites, the rest of them wouldn't know how far they think they've progressed. :jester:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

If it wasn't for us 00 DC luddites, the rest of them wouldn't know how far they think they've progressed. :jester:

We remain a good benchmark. :scenic:

Benchmark is one of those meaningless terms that has crept into daily use from meaningless boring pointless repetitive office meetings. I do recall being told off when I scratched my name in to a bench at school, so when I hear "benchmark" I always remember my PE teacher telling me off. :dontknow:

As for "thinking outside the box"......one of my customers use to have "No thinking outside the box" above her cat's litter tray.

Off my soap box and back to normal :music: :music:

• Like 2

Coming on nicely, Clive. I am retired but your rate of progress still beats mine.

Two serious points:

1) I think lifting sections should always be arranged so that they don't prevent the door opening.  How would people get to you if you collapsed? (Admitedly a more probable scenario with someone of my age!)

Could your be re-hung to open outwards? 

2) You might find it easier to make the platforms before laying the track. It's easier to shuggle track a millimetre or two than a platform. BTW I like the idea of using cork for the platform - a new idea for me.

Ian

Coming on nicely, Clive. I am retired but your rate of progress still beats mine.

Two serious points:

1) I think lifting sections should always be arranged so that they don't prevent the door opening.  How would people get to you if you collapsed? (Admitedly a more probable scenario with someone of my age!)

Could your be re-hung to open outwards? 

2) You might find it easier to make the platforms before laying the track. It's easier to shuggle track a millimetre or two than a platform. BTW I like the idea of using cork for the platform - a new idea for me.

Ian

Hi Clive, I have to say I do agree with this fine Chap about the Door my friend. Ian is right, should you be taken bad, people would need to get in.

Also how can your good Lady bring you constant refreshment if she cant open the door and pass it to you? :O  :no:  :no:

Ian's second point about the Platform is also a valid one. I always lay the Platform first, and then get my widest Loco whilst laying the Track, to get the clearance, on my curved Platform I used the Western to ensure clearance.

Good luck with the Control Panel Mate.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Putting the platforms in first will mean building the station throat afterwards which in turn could throw the rest of the layout out. I think laying the track first then fitting the platforms in after as planned will be best for me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As has been said though, you don't need to actually pin/glue/weld the track down alongside the platforms themselves , so could lay the platforms once you know where they'll go, then fettle the track to suit.

• Like 2

As for "thinking outside the box"......one of my customers use to have "No thinking outside the box" above her cat's litter tray.

Off my soap box and back to normal :music: :music:

I rather like the reported remark of Lord Vetinari , late Patrician of Ankh-Morpork:  "I'll be more enthusiastic about thinking outside the box when I see some signs of thinking taking place inside it" 

• Like 3

Hi Clive, I have to say I do agree with this fine Chap about the Door my friend. Ian is right, should you be taken bad, people would need to get in.

Also how can your good Lady bring you constant refreshment if she cant open the door and pass it to you? :O :no: :no:

Ian's second point about the Platform is also a valid one. I always lay the Platform first, and then get my widest Loco whilst laying the Track, to get the clearance, on my curved Platform I used the Western to ensure clearance.

Good luck with the Control Panel Mate.

Note to self the idea of laying the platform first would have saved me a lot of bother!!!

Putting the platforms in first will mean building the station throat afterwards which in turn could throw the rest of the layout out. I think laying the track first then fitting the platforms in after as planned will be best for me.

The station throat is critical - neither the platforms nor the platform tracks are critical.

Is it possible to start with the station throat complex , then work back into the platforms and platform roads, ie put the platforms in after the throat is laid, with loose flexible track in place to give approx. position, then lay the track?

If you are intending to build the platforms (ie build sidewalls /bracing then fit a top) you can mark the outline on the cork with a pencil taped to a coach in traditional style, then build the walls slightly behind  the line. In that case you would need to lay the track first  (I think it might also be sensible to use a spare C3 restriction coach like a Mk 3 to do the marking - it will give you a safety margin for your C1 Mk1 vehicles)

But if the platforms are going to be cut from solid I suspect you may have no option but to fit the track round them - and it strikes me as a much higher risk operation.

The major argument for having platform tops that overhang the platform is that you can pare the things back to resolve any problems. It's very difficult to cut back a half-inch tall platform side without demolishing and rebuilding the whole thing

• RMweb Premium

I have been busy but fitting all them switches and now starting to add the wires. This is as boring as showing photos of heavy things on top of the cork. Decent Control without the extra C.

The platforms will be built after the track is in place . I have some sheets of 18mm MDF which should work out the right height for platforms when directly laid on the baseboard. They and the cork have to be cut to fit the location. Once I have the station throat laid I will then, using my Anyrail paper railway as a guide I will cut the cork and lay it. The MDF on top of the cork will make it too high. Yes I could spend money on another platform system, but my accountant, Mrs M, might have something to say about that. The platforms will be laid once the track is in place, wired up and the trains running. 

I think I need to tidy the layout room up it is a right mess.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

We've all been there particularly when building a round roundy, the floor area begins to disappear.

Since I've started the new layout I and the wife are amazed how much tidier the model railway room has become.

Edited to get rid of predicted text and make some sense of the post.

Edited by westerner

I have been busy but fitting all them switches and now starting to add the wires. This is as boring as showing photos of heavy things on top of the cork. Decent Control without the extra C.

The platforms will be built after the track is in place . I have some sheets of 18mm MDF which should work out the right height for platforms when directly laid on the baseboard. They and the cork have to be cut to fit the location. Once I have the station throat laid I will then, using my Anyrail paper railway as a guide I will cut the cork and lay it. The MDF on top of the cork will make it too high. Yes I could spend money on another platform system, but my accountant, Mrs M, might have something to say about that. The platforms will be laid once the track is in place, wired up and the trains running. 

You could add the Peco Platform edging as it's the correct height for the 18mm MDF, Then fill it and and add a facia.

post-9335-0-52749700-1517734061.jpg

post-9335-0-85906500-1517734072.jpg

post-9335-0-74377500-1517734216_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You could add the Peco Platform edging as it's the correct height for the 18mm MDF, Then fill it and and add a facia.

attachicon.gifPeco-Lineside-LK-66-OO-Scale-Platform-Edging-Ramps-Kit-Brick-Type681.jpg

attachicon.gifPELK-60.jpg

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 5 004.JPG

I forgot to say, you need to cut your nipples off,  :O  :O  :O the back to fit them :no:

• 3 weeks later...