Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Just you wait Clive - bet one of 'them' will be on here telling you one of those frog juice drink thingies (spawn?) will be just what you need and it would have saved you the time you spent sharing your hobby with your offspring, nothing like traditional railway modelling for family bonding ;)

Frog juicers (IMO) are the spawn of the devil - but that's another topic likely to be locked.................

If it was wired with DCC and using a particular model of point motor, for frog switching you just need one wire.

Just sayin'

;) 

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ned Ludd has got a phone??????????????????????

Hope it's not a mobile thingy!

What happened to the baked bean tin Clive?

Mike.

Hi Mike

The Science Museum have asked me can they have my phone as an exhibit.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

The Science Museum have asked me can they have my phone as an exhibit.  

"Mummy - what are those two tin cans and string for...........?"

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Crayons are also acceptable, if other technologies are beyond you...

Ah! Crayons

Before I started my nurse training I was unemployed, to fill up my time I use to help in the occupational therapy department of our local hospital for people with learning difficulties. They asked me to do a one to one session with this lad, and gave me some crayons and paper. Come the end of the session the head of the department asked me how I got on so I showed her what  the lad had done with the crayons. She then asked me how many crayons did I have left. "All of them, but it was a struggle to stop him putting them in his mouth". With that one the other therapist said "Well done he normally eats half of them".

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And trying to remember the programme addresses for the locos and units

I reckon it was decent of the GWR/WR to give its loco numbers four digits so they could be used with DCC so easily.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Over the past few nights i have had trains running round the layout. A nine car DMU made up of three 3 car units of different makes (both real and model) ran without any problems. Going the other way I have had a rake of coaches hauled by all sorts of locos. One Hornby 47 couldn't shift the train. I did think it was a bit light when I put it on teh track. It had no weight in it. Not a problem for a loco which was only used on locoshed models. Soon cured.

A total balls up was an early Bachmann peak, it was making a funny noise. Give it an oil, broke the thing trying to get to the motor. Got it back together, still making a noise. I cannot recall when it last run..it might have just done so.

A surprise was a very cheap secondhand B1 (Bachmann split chassis) I brought just before we moved, so I don't think I have ever run it. Well it romped away with the coaches.

The 9 car DMU train was changed for a six car Cravens train, that looked and performed well.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Frog juicers (IMO) are the spawn of the devil - but that's another topic likely to be locked.................

If it was wired with DCC and using a particular model of point motor, for frog switching you just need one wire.

Just sayin'

;)

Cheers,

Mick

Mick, Any idea where that type of point motor happens to be on sale? :angel:   :jester:   (and surely you only need one wire to the frog whatever system of control you use)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So no prospect of any videos then?

I will wait until Mr P the master of railway video production visits and allow him to make a in depth visual report on my progress.

I'm too old to keep learning stuff I don't feel is necessary for my enjoyment.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If your non working Bachmann peak is one of the centre motored versions, i suggest looking at the universal joints on the worms at the bogies, these coming loose is a easy fix with a bit of superglue.

Hi Cheesy

Thank you, it might be worth a try.

When I get to my pile of broken locos I will try and remember this post.

• RMweb Premium

I hope your wiring is better than that at 0.49.......

Cheers,

Mick

Looking at what I have done so far, it wouldn't get my stamp if presented to me when I was an assembly inspector at Marconi's.

You know you are getting old when in Chlemsford museum is a bit of radio kit designed and built at Marconi's with my stamp on it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't I know it..

post-15969-0-16770200-1521117815.jpg

I worked on this, and I don't mean a similar equipment,  I mean this one.

And it's in the RAF  Radar Museum at What was RAF Neatishead...

Along with a load of other stuff I worked on.

PS it displayed pictures From the Marconi Type 84 Radar...

PS, I also held an inspection stamp from Marconi at a later date...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mick, Any idea where that type of point motor happens to be on sale? :angel:   :jester:   (and surely you only need one wire to the frog whatever system of control you use)

Most motors require three wires to switch the frog polarity - left/right rail and frog. Whether that power is DC or DCC is irrelevant - it still needs track power to the switch terminals

This is on top of the two or three wires already required to power the motor (2 for an analog stall type and certain solenoids - Kato for example- and three for normal solenoids)

So most point motors with frog switches require 5 or 6 wires to the motor/switch combination.

With this particularly blue type, the DCC in (when it is powered from the same DCC bus as your track) is switched back out on another terminal = 1 wire.

QED.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Don't I know it..

attachicon.gifType+84_control_suite_Centre=10_med1.jpg

I worked on this, and I don't mean a similar equipment,  I mean this one.

And it's in the RAF  Radar Museum at What was RAF Neatishead...

Along with a load of other stuff I worked on.

PS it displayed pictures From the Marconi Type 84 Radar...

PS, I also held an inspection stamp from Marconi at a later date..

Hi Q

I was with Marconi Communications, they had about 7 sites around Chelmsford when I worked for them, plus there was Marconi Radar, Marconi Marine and the Research place at Gt Baddow. I think there are still a few people left working at Gt Baddow otherwise it has all gone.

My stamp number was easy to remember if you were a puffer nutter 4-6-2.

It is scary what was (nearly) state of the art gear when we were making it, is now museum displays.