Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I had something similar where you had to crawl under the boards in my old layout in the basement. Even for a then very healthy 36 year old it got annoying :)

Crawling on hands and knees under the baseboards not your thing? Then take some inspiration from the “Great Escape” and let the trolley take the strain :D :D

post-6818-0-51262200-1519211470.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Use your military training and commando role underneath.

40 years ago yes. I am now a old fat bald bloke who finds crawling under things difficult.

Examples

Andi Dell's Ravensclyffe....banged me head OUCH!!!

Witham MRS test track....banged me head OUCH!!! plus blood, then an 'orrid sting as Keith applied "plastic skin".

Barrowmore Club's Mostyn....Banged me head OUCH!!!, plus I derailed the train traveling above me.

As you see I am a total disaster. Weren't much better when I was in the army.

• RMweb Gold

40 years ago yes. I am now a old fat bald bloke who finds crawling under things difficult.

Examples

Witham MRS test track....banged me head OUCH!!! plus blood, then an 'orrid sting as Keith applied "plastic skin".

Barrowmore Club's Mostyn....Banged me head OUCH!!!, plus I derailed the train traveling above me.

Sorry!

At least you didn't give yourself concussion like Mrs D did on Dagworth when it was in my lounge!

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Premium

Sorry!

At least you didn't give yourself concussion like Mrs D did on Dagworth when it was in my lounge!

Andi

Hi Andi

Do you have copies of Mr Jupe's photos form the first time Ravens was running? Cos I am sure he took one of me rubbing my head after your layout attacked me.

Examples

It is all in the mind. You just need to tell yourself that you can do it. Look at yodel he was 900 years old and moving with the best of them.

• RMweb Premium

It is all in the mind. You just need to tell yourself that you can do it. Look at yodel he was 900 years old and moving with the best of them.

A Yoda yodelling or does he just not deliver parcels..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Look there seems to be some disconnect between my mind and the body that supports it. I am always saying you can do it......bog off says my body. 

Got to love spell check. Who knew that yoda was not in the system. An every day word for at least half the population.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have finished the internal wiring to the control panel. It is huge.

I have now laid the track around the layout. I have not run any trains yet but have pushed a rake of 7 coaches around and none fell off.

When I was laying the track across the bridge I was getting quite thirsty. So I opened the door to its maximum and called out , 10 minutes later Mrs M turned up "What's all the shouting about". I explained that I still needed to cut the track before I could escape and could she please get me a drink. Thank goodness I didn't need the loo. The bridge goes up and down OK and the track seems to line up. I am now off to wire some power to the tracks. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6

I have finished the internal wiring to the control panel. It is huge.

I have now laid the track around the layout. I have not run any trains yet but have pushed a rake of 7 coaches around and none fell off.

When I was laying the track across the bridge I was getting quite thirsty. So I opened the door to its maximum and called out , 10 minutes later Mrs M turned up "What's all the shouting about". I explained that I still needed to cut the track before I could escape and could she please get me a drink. Thank goodness I didn't need the loo. The bridge goes up and down OK and the track seems to line up. I am now off to wire some power to the tracks.

Looking forward to seeing the progress :)

• RMweb Premium

Any pics of the Train and wiring mate?

Hi Andy

Give us a chance I am too busy admiring my abilities of getting two trains running in opposite directions on both the roundy roundy tracks without them falling off. The Bo-Bo with 8 coaches  on the down line and a six car DMU (3car Derby plus a 3car Met-Cam) on the up line. I have never had a roundy roundy train set since I became a grown up. I thought 3 ft curves would be OK, they look very tight in such a big room. It all seems very level, no racing down an incline or a struggle up hill.

• Like 6

Hi Clive,

Well done for the progress on your new big roundy roundy layout!

With reasonably free running rolling stock you may be suprised at how well your locos haul on a level system. Since refurbishing the old club layout and levelling up Keith's setup we've noticed a big difference.

Like the real thing, model trains do not like hills!

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I have just had a little play, swapped the Bo-Bo for a class 4 4-6-0. It started to derail. I found the problem, I hadn't joined to sections of track properly. The rail joiner had slid under the foot of rail not around it, making the rail head proud. Simple cure, pull back the joiner and then slide it into its correct position.

The tender then derailed on the single slip. When I went to put it back on the track I noticed a lose squiggly bit of wire between the rear wheels. No idea what this bit of  wire is. Is it part of the detail that has come lose? Anyhow with it removed the class 4 zoomed around and didn't fall off any more.

I then became brave and put a Stanier class 4 tank on the front, a bit of double heading. First lap I had to stop the train as I noticed the tank engine's pony truck wasn't on the track. For all the other laps it stayed on so I think I hadn't put it on properly to start with.

As for the DMU going the other way only one derailment and that was where I wasn't paying attention and it clobbered my hand where I was rerailing the class 4.

So I am going to start a set of operating rules. The first one being "Stop all movements if a train is having running problems."

• Like 3