Agenoria WR 1366 Pannier for Pencarrow Bridge

2ManySpams

Chris

If you anneal the top of the cabsides you will make it easier to form the curves. Another thing which might help would be to temporarily solder some scrap etch over the cab door openings to prevent them being distorted when you form the curves at the top. I didn't feel the need to do that on 1367 but I had more confidence in my abilities than you seem to have in yours. And that's not a criticism-been there, done that!

Jeff

Chris

Personally, I use a small blowtorch in the workshop but there's no reason why you can't use the gas hob. No mess is created in the process, just hold the part in the flame (with a pair of pliers) until it glows a dull red colour, you would only need to anneal the part of the cabside which will be curved. Some people would advise quenching the part in cold water, others would advise natural cooling. I sit on the fence.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Chris

Personally, I use a small blowtorch in the workshop but there's no reason why you can't use the gas hob. No mess is created in the process, just hold the part in the flame (with a pair of pliers) until it glows a dull red colour, you would only need to anneal the part of the cabside which will be curved. Some people would advise quenching the part in cold water, others would advise natural cooling. I sit on the fence.....

Jeff

Whilst Sat on the fence do you have said part in a pot of water or are you just watching it cool nicely? Don't drop said hot part on the fence as it may fire up the creosote!

Chris

I asked for that one! Usually, I just let the part cool naturally but I have been known to quench it, I can't tell any difference but doubtless an engineer or a metallurgist would tell you that one is right and one is wrong. And they might not even agree with each other.........

Jeff

With these roll over rooves I make the centre section clip in, two tags one side and a little clip the other side. With careful positioning of the rain strips the joins are hidden.

That's roughly what I did on the 8750 - a strip of etch waste either side which clipped under the shoulders.

• RMweb Premium

Annealing will cause the surface to oxidise, so after cooling (by either method!), clean up with a glass fibre brush. Be careful as the material is soft, which was the object of annealing in the first place. Oxidised metal will not solder at all well.

I tend to bend after annealing and then clean as the metal may be just a tad harder, a tad may be more or less than a smidgin depending on the denomination of the tad.

ss

I tend to bend after annealing and then clean as the metal may be just a tad harder, a tad may be more or less than a smidgin depending on the denomination of the tad.

ss

I think a tad is little bit bigger than a scintilla, but smaller than a jot or iota.

• Like 1

That's why I have two micrometers (metric & imperial) and a vernier. Measuring TADS can be critical!

Interestingly I have two adjustable spanners, one for metric work and one for imperial. I sometimes find I need a special b*st*rd one for those really awkwardly rounded nuts!

:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very satisfying Chris.I can't wait to see it slow shunting on Pencarrow. ;)

Everything goes round without catching. It goes fast and slow. Makes a hell of a racket in forwards gear. So all good...

...but the static running in shows there's too much slop in the compensation beams pivots. Some work to do to sort that out.

On the plus side I've a chassis that works and runs on track. Big smilies.

• Like 3

Chris

Don't worry about the compensation if there's no weight on the axles - if you run it on a rolling road and it's unhappy and sloppy, that's another issue, but unloaded, then the compensated axles will kick, it is to be expected.

Any chance you can get the chassis on a test track? An hour of that, going both ways, it'll be sweet as a chocolate without the nut!

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Chris

Don't worry about the compensation if there's no weight on the axles - if you run it on a rolling road and it's unhappy and sloppy, that's another issue, but unloaded, then the compensated axles will kick, it is to be expected.

Any chance you can get the chassis on a test track? An hour of that, going both ways, it'll be sweet as a chocolate without the nut!

Best

Simon

Thanks for the advice Simon. The best I can do for a test track at the moment is in the photo below. Not that extensive!

post-6675-0-72707800-1407965621_thumb.jpg

PS I like nuts* in chocolate. ;-p

(*No Stubby, not my nuts)

• Like 2