RMweb

OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Hi Shane,

At present I see no reason too, as I'm aiming mine to be released first as I have the capacity to do so, especially given current circumstances.

I've also offered E5001as a NRM Locomotion exclusive with ALL profits going to them, rather than do it myself and donate a smaller amount.

Negotiations on this are ongoing and will probably take a few more months before anything is agreed on this.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Fair play to you if you do then. I wouldnt want to be a manufacturer in this current climate. Can help thinking the regular wish list polls have contributed to this situation of duplication, . He who dares.....

cheers

Shane

I am planning on ordering a 71, when funds are available. Out of the DJModels and Hornby offerings, Dave's certainly got the upper hand. Would be my first DJM model, and certainly not my last.

However, just one question. When did the 71's receive the SYWP's?

Dave's announced his earlier, so in those terms, more people have taken interest earlier. He already has sufficient numbers of orders to make the model, and judging by his other CAD work, Dave's 71 will be of a very high standard.
Hornby are still fighting production issues and quality control. Take the P2 for example. It looks superb, but many have experienced motor related issues, and it seems at least that it's very much pot luck as to whether the model you get is of a high or low running quality.

On what basis have DJM got the upper hand? How do you know what Hornby have done behind the scenes and not publicly announced.

Cheers

Shane

Not wishing to get into an argument but lets look at what we already know.

Hornby have with out doubt started dumbing down their products, using the P2 as an example we have fake valve gear that we might have expected in the 70s and a motor that is so indifferent that many people have had to pay out for an upgraded one just to get fair running.

The 2Bil while nice has no internal lighting or even headcode/tail light.

See Bachmann 108 for how it could have been done.

Dave will give us a very accurate model, with lights and a top class motor.

So while interesting, Hornby's 71 will have a very great deal to live up to.

Sorry, but what's there to disagree with? It's a bit late to deny the fact Hornby are facing some serious issues, that is effecting the quality of their models.

• RMweb Premium

So, Hornby are doing one too.  Will I be cancelling my early order with DJM/Kernow and getting a Hornby one (which to be fair as a dealer's employee I can get at cost+VAT, which will be rather cheaper I should imagine)?

NO.

No 'blinking' way.  IF it ever turns up, we probably will only get one or two as they keep them to sell direct themselves, it will likely have a cheesy motor bogie drive from a 2-BIL and moulded on detail.  No, I'm sticking with DJM. Go Dave!

• Like 2

I know screen colour reproduction is as vague as can be, but really think that is blue, not green. Do satisfy yourself that I'm wrong before bidding!

Hi Mike,

no sorry.

i'll get a change made to the Kernow listing to point out that sywp in will not have the red stripe.

I'm still hunting for pictures of the red stripe with sywp, but they either didnt exist or were as rare as green FYWP.

cheers

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all.

A tad late with this, but, Photo P71:05 on p.10 of MRC Planbook No.3 'BR Electric Locomotives in 4mm.Scale' by R.S.Carter. Pubr. Ian Allan 1985, ISBN 0 7110 1501 5, shows E5000 in Malachite Green + FYE + Red / White stripes + late crest. No date given. The B/W photo, taken by Colin J. Marsden at SL, shows loco fitted with oblong 'NIGHT FERRY' headboard and ETH socket above the N/S buffer. The edge / division between Yellow and Green is curved concavely, i.e. not vertical, as per Blue livery, sweeping from the bottom front corners up to the cornice above the cab side windows.

Regards

Edited to correct Headboard title and to add Dave's recent post.

Edited by Ceptic

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly, the photo of a class 71 just after commissioning shows a green akin to carriage colour than loco: attachicon.gifimage.jpg

But a later photo with a stripe seems to hint at loco green.

I'm a bit puzzled by the progression in liveries on these locos especially in the early days. By my reckoning E5012 (photo link above) entered service in October 1959 and this seems to be a new in service photo. But the photo below dated 2 Sept 1962 appears to show the same class 24 as in the earlier shot, but in black and white there doesn't appear to be much difference in the tone of green. Were both shots in fact taken at the same time?

7450517484_2291a77c1d_b.jpgE5012 Eastleigh 2 Sept 1962 by pondhopper1, on Flickr

The April 1959 Railway Magazine had an article on the new locos, and b&w photos of E5000 and E5001 seem to show both in dark green with red stripe. Is there a colour photo anywhere which shows the livery on initial delivery?

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 2

On what basis have DJM got the upper hand? How do you know what Hornby have done behind the scenes and not publicly announced.

Cheers

Shane

Perhaps you may have seen that Hornby are stating 2016 for delivery, which probably means 2017 onwards. Dave's is due next year. 

• RMweb Premium

One big difference overlooked so far has been the funding arrangements.

DJ Models is using crowd-source funding which means that those who are particularly keen to get one of these models will have already paid up-front.  I suspect very few of those will back away in favour of Hornby knowing that they will get a high-quality model from DJM and very probably sooner than from Hornby.

They also know the distribution arrangements well in advance and there is no likelihood of an "Exeter fiasco" with the DJM locos.  Whether there will be with the Hornby ones we shall have to wait and see but I'm not trusting my luck to the Margate mob.

• Like 1

I'm not taking anyside's here - I like DJM for Dave's rather open policy and I like Hornby - they are not perfect but I still like them, however....

Dave - if you are really confident enough that you can beat Hornby at this, then there are a few people pretty hacked off at the whole Exeter debacle at the moment - it would mean more duplication, granted, but business is business and if there is money to be made.....(I would be quite keen on 34021 rebuilt late condition hint hint).........

On another note you have created a headache for me because I am not in a position to pre-order the class 71 right now because of finance issues and now you have joined with Kernow again and announced the 117 (sensibly with 3 cars, unlike the Thumper) so thanks for that ;-)

Steve

Edited by steve1023

I'm not taking anyside's here - I like DJM for Dave's rather open policy and I like Hornby - they are not perfect but I still like them, however....

Dave - if you are really confident enough that you can beat Hornby at this, then there are a few people pretty hacked off at the whole Exeter debacle at the moment - it would mean more duplication, granted, but business is business and if there is money to be made.....(I would be quite keen on 34021 rebuilt late condition hint hint).........

On another note you have created a headache for me because I am not in a position to pre-order the class 71 right now because of finance issues and now you have joined with Kernow again and announced the 117 (sensibly with 3 cars, unlike the Thumper) so thanks for that ;-)

Steve

Yes there are a few hacked off over Exeter at the "moment" but unless Hornby keep doing more "bordels" (I will let you look up that French would, but there really isn't an English word that captures the exact sentiment so perfectly), it will become water under the bridge over time.

In a few weeks we will see debates over these class 71s. If it costs more, DJM wins, if it's cheaper, people will be suspect over quality and DJM wins (so win win for DJM). If Hornby wanted to win this then with hindsight, they would have needed to announce theirs within 2 weeks of Dave launching the kick starter.

Now momentum has been built up and it will be very hard to take the wind out of the sails....

The danger is of course, if Hornby deliver an inferior model it will be "Oh, it's just Hornby..." But if DJM delivers an inferior model, it could affect DJMs reputation.

(That said, the Hornby annoucement will not stop me ordering an all blue one in January).

Edited by JSpencer

JSpencer - Good word, definitely right, right now, although Im not sure it will become water under the bridge over time - there appears to be a lot of people on this forum with llllllooooooooooooooooooonnnnngggggg memories and the second Hornby screw up it will be mentioned again & again & again & (you get the idea...) although I am posting in the DJM section of the forum and Hornby taking a pasting probably won't bother Dave.

Another thing is your mentioning the BR blue variant - As somebody interested in the Green/BR Blue transition era I genuinely don't believe Hornby will do a BR Blue with pre-tops numbering (I don't recall it before anyway - this ultimately could be the vote winner for me.

As I said before - nothing against either party.

Steve

(Sorry - for some reason my computer will not allow the quote function to work??)