OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

You do realise that Dave maybe reluctant to market one of these wonderful locos as their nickname was "Hornby's" as in a popular Liverpool based manufacturer at that time.

Here's one of Charlie's examples of a class 71 under the wires at Brockley Green.

attachicon.gifUnder the wires.JPG

Hi Judge D

It I always good to see pictures of Brockley Green, further to your post I would add that as far I am aware it was the three Bullied / Raworth electric locos CC1/2 and 20003 later to be known as class 70 that were nicknamed 'Hornby's' rather than the class 71's which I understood were generally known as HA's

• 2 weeks later...

Note how the conductor rail is continuous on the point and the single slip, with ramps bolted onto the side for the shoe to ride up. Anyone tried modelling that?

Yes it has been modelled by the one and only Colin Parks I believe. As a third rail modeller myself I find enough problems without going to such detail but then again, my modelling skills are no were near Colin's standards. Incidently the ramps are for low speed use anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

MMMMMMM Gone way to quiet on here getting withdrawal symptoms go on gissa little peek pretty please you know you want too go on I'll be your best friend!!

LOL

And breeeeeeeath  

Must get a grip must get a grip must get a grip!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay, as you know i've been away this last week which has now coincided with the start of Chinese New Year.

As for a full update, i'm unable to give you that for a few weeks as firstly i need to change a couple of things that were slightly wrong on the cad/cam, and also i dont wish to give other parties an update on whats missing from their cad/cam too, as that would be commercial suicide.

However, i'd say that the progress is good and that i'm now looking at adding another green version.

Progress has been such that i'm now concentrating on the minutiae of the model.......for instance the correct headcode fonts, sizes etc, and i am indebted to 1 person in particular that has supplied me with those specific details that are relevant for only certain time periods etc. (Thank you mate).

Chassis testing has begun in earnest in China, and only once the factory have confirmed 200+ hours on it, will i receive it to try and break it both electronically and mechanically. (i might ask if one or 2 of you want to have a play with it too, if you like?)

As you can appreciate, there's not a lot i can really add without 'tipping the hand' of others, and im not in the business of doing that, so wont. I hope you all understand.

More soon, i promise.

cheers

Dave

• Like 9

Chassis testing has begun in earnest in China, and only once the factory have confirmed 200+ hours on it, will i receive it to try and break it both electronically and mechanically. (i might ask if one or 2 of you want to have a play with it too, if you like?)

My main concern is the backwards compatibility of the coreless motor with older controllers that some of us (maybe a lot of us are using) KPC, Digitol AMR, etc. I'm not going to change controllers for one loco when they are able to power Portescapes motors OK.

Hi mate,

I fully understand your concerns and can assure you that the circuit board was designed and tested for lots of controllers on both DC and DCC operation so should, in your case be fine.

however, as there is always an 'elephant in the room' in things like these, i am unable to guarantee that it will work perfectly for everyone.

I will always try and mitigate potential problems though and will look again at the spec for use with older controllers for you.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

I doubt if Hornby are worried they will do their one to the standard they deem fit for their market.

Triang/Hornby have made trains for a long time and may well have an archive of original drawings from when Triang made their version.

I doubt if Hornby are worried they will do their one to the standard they deem fit for their market.

Triang/Hornby have made trains for a long time and may well have an archive of original drawings from when Triang made their version.

Triang made a 71?

Cheers

Shane

My main concern is the backwards compatibility of the coreless motor with older controllers that some of us (maybe a lot of us are using) KPC, Digitol AMR, etc. I'm not going to change controllers for one loco when they are able to power Portescapes motors OK.

I think we must congratulate Dave on giving us the massive upgrade of a RTR coreless motor.

Portescaps etc always said no feedback way, way back.