OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

I'm glad to see that the NRM is yet again looking after one of it's none steam locos in their usual way... ie letting it rust away... Shocking..

Andy G

Not a lot to say to this comment, apart from it should have been painted 16 months ago but for politics.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

74 duly ordered (on top of the long standing order for a crowd funded 71 and Hattons GA 71).

Only mention it as a comment earlier suggested that the 74 take up hasn't been as good. Hopefully good enough to proceed?

Just seen Dave's Pre Production sample of the Class 71,  WOW!   Cleverly designed DCC Sound area is superb, unlike the OTHER MAKE which is 'Limited' in the available

space especially if fitting sound.  Just for interest we are developing a 'Legomanbiffo' sound unit for this model and aim to demonstrate it in BR Blue Livery fitted with one of our 'supersound speakers' at shows from September.

Well done Dave, took some guts to stick up the BIG BOYS but on what I have seen its been worth the effort.     Charlie 

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

Had some more questions in overnight on this project and thought, as i have a decent set of pics, i should reply with my reasoning and back up pics of the real thing.

Cheers

Dave

Questions....

1) I noticed on an ep model you published that the doors were recessed. In real life they were flush. Will you be correcting this?

1a) Yes, this was corrected before the recent decorated samples and is more flush than before.

2) I like the idea of the booster equipment visible behind the centre bodyside glass, will you be doing this?

2a) I like the idea too, but the booster is actually quite far back from the window and there is a walkway between the window and the booster and in fact the booster doesnt extend more than 2 thirds up the window in the 'visible' area so no, i wont be doing a model representation of the booster. However, i am looking at getting the booster painted on the side of the chassis in a darker colour to represent the booster but at a distance (its almost 10mm in scale back from the glass) to represent it in the shadows.

3) Is yours DCC ready?

3a) yes indeed, its 21pin DCC ready and it is very easy to fit a decoder too. In fact its very easy to fit a speaker into as well, as the photo attached shows.

4) There is a panel behind the door either side that is flush with the bodyside, is yours?

4a) Hi, lol, yes indeed. Ironically this has always been flush on the model even if the doors werent (to start with)

5) Will you be selling the wonderful windscreen wipers and separate lamp irons as spares?

5a) Yes i will, hopefully at launch of the model to crowdsourcers and not heavily delayed like the O2 have been.

6) Why are you ending the crowdsourcing of the 71 on the 10th of July, why not have it go on until you release the model?

6a) Hi, the offer ends, to allow me to lock down quantities i need to order from China and to allow a greater deal of exclusivity of numbers as i have promised to never repeat the running number / livery combo of these models, so if 1 model only sells 130 units to crowdsourcers, they in essence have a very limited edition model and makes their wonderful contribution worth more both to themselves and to any collectors should they decide to sell at a later date.

7) Why are you not painting the whole pantograph head the same colour?

7a) in truth i thought about it, but in reality the centre section of the head (the part that contacts the wire when in yards) got very dirty, very quickly, and actually developed a carbon like substance between the raised areas of the head. As this happened in weeks rather than over the years, i decided to paint this area graphite in colour to faithfully match the loco after only a few weeks service. (photo attached)

8) Will you be producing the model with disc wheels rather than spokes?

8b) Yes i will, and at present i know of only 1 loco that had discs (i'm still looking for pictures of others if anyone has them). And it seems discs were only used as a last resort if spoked ones werent available, certainly on the one i'm thinking of. After all, its an important feature to get right.

Just sent you a PM re this post Dave :)

• RMweb Gold

A 71 would be totally out of place on my layout, but having heard how good the model is, I've ordered a 74, plus a 4TC for it to pull.

I think I was one of the lucky ones who has just had to push my modelling period a bit earlier and not actually have to change much. 2 71s and 2 74s ordered, roll-on delivery!

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium

A 71 would be totally out of place on my layout, but having heard how good the model is, I've ordered a 74, plus a 4TC for it to pull.

And push :P

• Like 1

Really looking forward to my 2 71's arriving. Having a real hardtime with the modellng Mojo right now. Think this might just be what the DR ordered. Thank you Dave for taking a big risk to deliver what are probably the best looking models I will ever own.

Except the weathered 74 I've just ordered!

Edited by TRAILRAGE

Hi Dave,

The final figures are being collated and the final order will go to China on Friday.

I'll know more after next weekend as I'll know a production slot, production time, and delivery schedule.

Bear with me and I'll get back to you and all the other crowdsourcers on here as soon as I have them.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

The weathered ones look extremely tempting though I have committed already to one more 71 than I have any use for purely on the basis of it looking rather nice and being a mite different to anything else.   I already have a weathered 74 on order.  Hmmmmmmmm ...............