OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

I know it did happen that they got dirty, but all my memories of green ones are that they were quite clean and shiny.

Yes - me to. The green ones used,as I remember from 'playing' as a child along the railway lines at Little Switzerland, to do most of the Boat Train/Golden Arrow duties. Hence their cleanliness. The blue ones were often to be seen hauling freight from the docks where cleanliness of the loco was not an issue. 

They were very quiet locos - unlike the diesels you didn't hear them until they were close at hand and then their presence was announced by the unique chilling whistle they had.

Happy days!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The blue ones were often to be seen hauling freight from the docks where cleanliness of the loco was not an issue.

And therein lies my issue with so much of the factory weathering - some bits must be clean. For example, taking the weathered 71s, whilst the front windows look to have the wiper pattern on them, the side cab windows appear to be far dirtier than they would have been allowed to be.

Some weathering jobs (both professional and home weathered) have the front windows so dirty that the wipers have obviously packed in and the driver would have no option but to fail the loco.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I seem to remember an old proverb about a race between a tortoise and a hare with the race not necessarily being won by the swift! Looking at comments made about 'the other' brand of class 71 on Youtube makes me glad that I am waiting for the DJM model. Evidently problems with fitting chips and speakers .........problems with internal space..........the model certainly looks nice looks nice......but Dave tells us that his model has been specifically designed to cater for chips and speakers.

Don't hold back too hard on your production numbers Dave......I have a 'feeling in my water' that the real SR modellers ( and more ) will want to buy the DJM version. I will be ordering a weathered blue version to augment the three I already have on order.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember an old proverb about a race between a tortoise and a hare with the race not necessarily being won by the swift! Looking at comments made about 'the other' brand of class 71 on Youtube makes me glad that I am waiting for the DJM model. Evidently problems with fitting chips and speakers .........problems with internal space..........the model certainly looks nice looks nice......but Dave tells us that his model has been specifically designed to cater for chips and speakers.

Don't hold back too hard on your production numbers Dave......I have a 'feeling in my water' that the real SR modellers ( and more ) will want to buy the DJM version. I will be ordering a weathered blue version to augment the three I already have on order.

I ordered the DJM 71s after seeing what the Hornby model looked like. Whilst the Hornby model looks good, the DJM models seems to go to the next level. Comparing the bogies in particular tells me what I need to know - the DJM model gives the impression of depth that the Hornby version seems to lack.

As for future sales, I am firmly in the BR Blue era and have ordered all the blue non-weathered 71s and 74s. If for more are available then I am likely to buy those also.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I have to say, whilst browsing through the current issue of Hornby magazine there were images of the Kernow 4TC and I thought, oh yes that looks good. Then I turned the page and there in all their glory was a picture of 4 DJM class 71s and I thought good lord that green full yellow end 71 looks the muts nuts - good job I had pre-ordered it.

Unfortunately cash flow has prevented me pre-ordering a class 74, but who knows...maybe one day.

I wonder if there is any news on production of this great looking model Dave. I have now got four on order with KMRC (couldn't resist one of the grimy blue version). Next step is to look out for the sound chips from Legomanbiffo. And then I hall be able to relive my childhood watching these locos speeding along the chalk cliffs to and from Dover.

So for a cheeky question time...

If one was to switch from a DJM clean blue 71 to a Kernow weathered blue one, does one still qualify for discount on the 74?

EDIT: had an answer from Kernow on this Q. No you do not. I will stick with my crowd sourcing order for a clean blue 71.

Edited by JSpencer

Well aint that typical, a week after the deadline I get my Holiday backpay in my wages, the joys of getting paid 4 weekly! 

I hope the numbers stack up and these are a success for you Dave.

For anyone who is interested, Legomanbiffo has now produced a sound project for class 71. there is a demo video on YouTube using the Hornby model. The DJM model, when it comes, will be a much easier fit for the sound decoder and speaker!

• RMweb Gold

With Sugar cube speakers its getting easier to fit sound decoders in tight spacers. However with the DJM version you should easily be able to fit two sugar cubes in it!

These speakers are getting cheaper with one trader at the NMRA convention in the USA giving them away with a sound decoder.] (which was also a very good price)

With Sugar cube speakers its getting easier to fit sound decoders in tight spacers. However with the DJM version you should easily be able to fit two sugar cubes in it!

These speakers are getting cheaper with one trader at the NMRA convention in the USA giving them away with a sound decoder.] (which was also a very good price)

One lump or two? ;)

For anyone who is interested, Legomanbiffo has now produced a sound project for class 71. there is a demo video on YouTube using the Hornby model. The DJM model, when it comes, will be a much easier fit for the sound decoder and speaker!

Legomanbiffo have certainly captured the sound of the class 71 whistle which I remember from my childhood days. Just compare the sound with the real thing (Youtube - a railtour from 1996 with three class 33's and a class 71 - or a title something like that - the only class 71 sound I've found anywhere - the loco performs at around 5-6mins into the video).

A DJM  model with Legomanbiffo sound is going to be on a par with the SLW class 24 in the Premier league of rtr models!

In fact 2 sugar cube speakers would still leave you space to spare as the designed area for the clip in speaker (bass reflex) is the same size as the Dapol 10000, D1000 and class 22 that I designed.

I'd always use the base reflex as opposed to the sugar cubes as the sugar cubes are great at mid to top end sounds, but not so good at lower base notes.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

In fact 2 sugar cube speakers would still leave you space to spare as the designed area for the clip in speaker (bass reflex) is the same size as the Dapol 10000, D1000 and class 22 that I designed.

I'd always use the base reflex as opposed to the sugar cubes as the sugar cubes are great at mid to top end sounds, but not so good at lower base notes.

Cheers

Dave

Miniature crossover network - and then fit all three :)

Edited by leopardml2341

So for a cheeky question time...

If one was to switch from a DJM clean blue 71 to a Kernow weathered blue one, does one still qualify for discount on the 74?

EDIT: had an answer from Kernow on this Q. No you do not. I will stick with my crowd sourcing order for a clean blue 71.

Eugh! I didn't read this until after I'd asked them if it was possible to switch to a weathered one and they had done so.

Looks like I better e-mail them again.

Luke

Any update on availability please, we are going away soon and I want to make sure it is not left kicking around in the post?

Thanks

Hi mate,

PM me your address and i'll get your model held until you tell me your back, whenever that might be, just in case it clashes while your away.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Getting Butterflies with excitement over theese. Wifey keeps asking if theres any news on them yet ,and me response is you'll know when you here the WOOHOO!

What I am most looking forward to is receiving my two "free" 71s! Having paid for them some time ago that money has long been accounted for, so two boxes will arrive without a similar size holes in my bank account :imsohappy:

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 2

Are we correct to assume that production of the DJ Models set of class 71 locos is set to take place/is currently taking place with delivery in 2-3 months time? 

My reading of these columns is 'he didn't say yes and he didn't say no - but he didn't say stop although he didn't say go'.

• RMweb Premium

"Free" 71 to be followed hopefully by a brace of equally "free" 74s within the foreseeable future.  I'll have to get that Code 60 rail laid somewhere for the juice ;)

• Like 1