The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

A bottle of merlot give to me in the company Christmas box, it's better than the normal plonk they give as they don't have to pay for the Christmas party.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More association with Bernard this evening. 

After the dizzy heights attained yesterday with their Bohemian Ale, a step down with todays brew. A mere 4.9% but a good solid tasty beer. No doubt decent with food but unlikely to last until then...

20201223_161852-01.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So I ordered a 12 bottle mixed case of ales from a brewery online on Monday, and the order arrived today. Unfortunately they had made an error and instead sent a mixed case of 12 x 330ml mixed cans...I was surprised at just how deflated I was, as I just don’t rate small cans as the same “experience”. Is this just me or do others think the same?

The positive is that they have resent the correct case for tomorrow and told me to keep the cans. :drinks:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

Santa was good to me and couldn’t have got much more local than this! 

A selection from the Barnard Castle Brewery Co.

Ps- And it’s Barny to locals -for the benefit of Mr Cummings & TV presenters!

6DA2E0A0-7295-42DD-89EB-6FFA11B10223.jpeg

They could have made a killing marketing a seasonal ale entitled "Beer Goggles" lol !

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all......

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

55 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

They could have made a killing marketing a seasonal ale entitled "Beer Goggles" lol !

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all......

Didn't someone do a p!ss take on that, Brewdog comes to mind?

• Like 2

Slightly :offtopic:

I've been lucky enough to receive a large number of canned craft beers from swmbo for Christmas; can anyone recommend a table top type beer fridge? Though I don't expect them to last until the weather warms up, by the descriptions, I can reasonably foresee a repeat order(s).

Looking for actual personal experience recommendations please :)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

It's surprising how good beer from a can can taste these days. Thornbridge Jaipur IPA has been my staple lockdown can on a night along with Westons old Rosie cider until the end of March when hopefully my first batch of homebrew cider won't have turned to vinegar. It has been quite a nice new hobby, picking apples and pressing them, whilst pubs/friends and real trains have been removed from my life.

• Like 4

I've got real trains.

They are 4mm/1ft scale though.

I think I still have some friends but just have not been able to see them.

Pubs?

Seen the outside of one or two, but that's as far as it's got.

Happy New Fekking Year!

Roll on Easter we might get some Eggs!.

• Like 3

On 23/12/2020 at 19:25, Jonboy said:

So I ordered a 12 bottle mixed case of ales from a brewery online on Monday, and the order arrived today. Unfortunately they had made an error and instead sent a mixed case of 12 x 330ml mixed cans...I was surprised at just how deflated I was, as I just don’t rate small cans as the same “experience”. Is this just me or do others think the same?

The positive is that they have resent the correct case for tomorrow and told me to keep the cans. :drinks:

I’m no fan of canned beer. I drink it if circumstances dictate but don’t buy it. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just opened a small bottle of dark lager from a Latvian craft brewer Vaimiermuiza.  The tasting notes say prune aroma, roasted caramel and hazelnuts with gently roasted bitterness. I get the tastes of the prunes but also dark coffee. It is very pleasant and not to strong at 5.3 %. I am drinking it from a new glass bought for me by my better half for Christmas along with a selection of other fine beers.

IMG_20201227_192640.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/12/2020 at 00:22, black and decker boy said:

Tis the season to be stout, la la la....

2) milk stout from Bristol Beer factory 

again a smooth bitter taste,  no chocolate but a lovely depth of flavour 

If you get the chance, it's much nicer on draught. My work used to mean me staying in Chippenham and Bath quite regularly, a (French) colleague introduced me to BBF products, Nova being the first :)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm a great fan of Adnams beers, the taste for which I developed (it wasn't hard) over several years living in Suffolk.  Every now and again I order some from the brewery, and before Christmas I received some mixed cases, including Ghost Ship collaboration beers, and some of the Jack Brand ales.  I'm slowly working my way through them, togethet with the 24 cans of Southwold bitter that also arrived and which I delve into when I want some good old fashioned traditional English bitter instead of these new-fangled ales. (And I totally agree with Mark above - canned beers, once to be avoided if at all possible, are now enormously improved).

Anyway, one beer that has so far stood out is Adnams New England IPA - 6% and plenty of citrus but not overwhelming the basic beer.  Yum Yum.

On the other hand, Adnams/Beavertown Brewery Ghost Ship collaboration, Strange Seas, a 3.5% tropical pale ale, is a strange one.  It promises to burst with "pineapple, pear, grapefruit and pine aromas".  Hmmm.  I have confess I found none of these.  Do you remember that when you were a child you used to get little pots of a soapy sort of liquid with which you used to blow bubbles through a sort of wand with a circle on top?  My first taste of Strange Seas was just like that.  OK, the soapiness didn't last long and was then replaced by a rather more normal bitterness, but I didn't get any of the fruit.  I've got two more cans and I'll no doubt drink them, but I won't buy any more.

DT

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A delicious gift from Santa was a box of Mr T Taylor’s finest from Keighley and tonight was a run through the selection (all new brews for me)

1) Boltmaker. A tangy Yorkshire bitter as ale used to be growing up on the Pennines

FCD60E26-9290-4479-AB1C-F901779582ED.jpeg.0086a24807b05e1ee5a0ac86e432415d.jpeg

2) Dark Landlord. Wonderous smooth bitter. Pick of the box.

E2EDE5DA-E319-486C-A2F6-613158B3BAB8.jpeg.85f90e27a821b75e3c7b88cbb563da1b.jpeg

3) Poulters Porter. Deep, dark & handsome with a caramel & chocolate wash

5AD52DAF-30B9-40C9-9E2F-DC744DA4ABFE.jpeg.dc39be01b35656792f7091c78b88566c.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

A delicious gift from Santa was a box of Mr T Taylor’s finest from Keighley and tonight was a run through the selection (all new brews for me)

1) Boltmaker. A tangy Yorkshire bitter as ale used to be growing up on the Pennines

FCD60E26-9290-4479-AB1C-F901779582ED.jpeg.0086a24807b05e1ee5a0ac86e432415d.jpeg

2) Dark Landlord. Wonderous smooth bitter. Pick of the box.

E2EDE5DA-E319-486C-A2F6-613158B3BAB8.jpeg.85f90e27a821b75e3c7b88cbb563da1b.jpeg

3) Poulters Porter. Deep, dark & handsome with a caramel & chocolate wash

5AD52DAF-30B9-40C9-9E2F-DC744DA4ABFE.jpeg.dc39be01b35656792f7091c78b88566c.jpeg

Not jealous at all :devil: - not tried either the Dark or the porter! All hail Tim Taylor! Boltmaker is one of the best!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Cracked open the Christmas ale tonight! Barnard Castle brew co. DL I

P

A

A 4.8% IPA that I will be making further orders of from our local brewery!

552D7168-81F5-439E-A2E0-593797F2CF5F.jpeg

Edited by 43110andyb
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

A 4.8% IPA

Only 4.8% for an IPA? tut tut - that's only marginally better than Greene Kings unrealistic 3.6% effort. You should try Durham Brewery's Bombay IPA which at 7% and generously hopped with serious quantities of English Goldings gives you a taste of imperial days of empire. OK, it's best on days when the sun has been relentless, temperatures are higher than average, you have worked up a serious thirst and know you have earned it, but by god it's glorious when you finally get round to it. Any good historical beer is a taste of our heritage.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1