West End Workbench

A splendid day out at Expo EM Summer today - met up with a number of LNER Society mates, saw some excellent layouts and superb modelling and had a good old natter about all sorts of things other than railways.

The Dick was in evidence:

spacer.png

Posed on Adrian Walby's Kyle of MacAllan Shed layout.   Thanks to him for tolerating all the schoolboy sniggering and blatant innuendo.

I was handed two unexpected gifts when I arrived.   The first was a set of cab steps for a J6.   Along with a smokebox dart from AGW, both have been fitted and since painted.   K3 120 was also missing a dart so that has been corrected as well.  

spacer.png

The second was a box of wagon kits from Brian at 247 which he's asked me to review.   I'm very happy to do so and will report in these pages next week.   For the moment attention turns to Grantham.   However, to give you a tease of the first one:

spacer.png

This is a GWR Coral A.  It's almost, but not quite a one piece kit.  I need wheels for it - the Hornby ones above have flanges which are too deep - so while those arrive I'll keep it to one side.   First impressions are very good, but I have to hold my hand up and say my knowledge of GWR wagons extends only as far as the book shown and the excellent website at http://www.gwr.org.uk/.   I am, therefore, open to advice and correction in this area.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Do you have to keep bringing your Dick up?

Can we not run it round Corfe a few times. 
See if anyone notices.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

A splendid day out at Expo EM Summer today - met up with a number of LNER Society mates, saw some excellent layouts and superb modelling and had a good old natter about all sorts of things other than railways.

spacer.png

Posed on Adrian Walby's Kyle of MacAllan Shed layout.   Thanks to him for tolerating all the schoolboy sniggering and blatant innuendo.

I was handed two unexpected gifts when I arrived.   The first was a set of cab steps for a J6.   Along with a smokebox dart from AGW, both have been fitted and since painted.   K3 120 was also missing one so that has been corrected as well.  

spacer.png

The second was a box of wagon kits from Brian at 247 which he's asked me to review.   I'm very happy to do so and will report in these pages next week.   For the moment attention turns to Grantham.   However, to give you a tease of the first one:

spacer.png

This is a GWR Coral A.  It's almost, but not quite a one piece kit.  I need wheels for it - the Hornby ones above have flanges which are too deep - so while those arrive I'll keep it to one side.   Firstt impressions are very good, but I have to hold my hand up and say my knowledge of GWR wagons extends as far as the book shown and the excellent website at http://www.gwr.org.uk/.   I am, therefore, open to advice and correction in this area.

'Twould be interesting to compare it with this one:

https://www.bygone-wagons.com/448184374

(usual disclaimer)

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

'Twould be interesting to compare it with this one:

https://www.bygone-wagons.com/448184374

(usual disclaimer)

Amanda gets my "vote". 👏

What a great concept, design all your own layout's wagons for just the resin cost then sell them as well.

Her Youtube channel shows various offerings running on her layout. Bravissima!

You will not get Rapido fine detail but my Cordon from Bygone-wagons scrubbed up very nicely, meeting my requirements without too much work.

Cordon DD5 3D kit build - Bygone Wagons

Colin

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

I rather like the loaded wagons but securing a car around the windscreen seems an odd thing to do even with the large amount of padding.

Surely ropes around the wheels/tyres would be less likely to cause damage?

The same thing occurred to me, but at the time I thought, don't be picky...

Cars of that era have a separate chassis and solid axles. I would expect to see a lashing to the ends of the chassis around the spring hangers or over the axles. Or a rope doubled across and around each wheel, secured fore and aft. The bodywork was nailed to an ash frame and probably wouldn't be too happy about being lashed that way and could probably pop those front doors open with sudden fore and aft movement, it was the days before anti burst catches.

Not sure if I have a suitable picture, I'll have a look.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Nick Lawson said:

As a general aside on the subject of load securing - when I was young chained loads on trucks used to have ratchetted lever tensioners, known sometimes as "sylvesters". I don't know whether these were ever used on rail loads, and if so, when.

Screw couplings (or similar) were used. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Screw couplings (or similar) were used. 

Usually referred to as a turnbuckle, it has a hook at either end, one with a lefthand thread, the other with a right, turning the central part with a bar draws the hooks together.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, Nick Lawson said:

... chained loads on trucks used to have ratchetted lever tensioners, known sometimes as "sylvesters".

I have a couple lying about at the yard.   My recollection is that my dad referred to them as 'Warwicks'.   I use small etched screw couplings when I'm attaching model loads.  Most of the suppliers seem to refer to them as shackles, but a shackle is just the U shaped part with a threaded pin through it as far as I know.   Hooks may be more prototypical, but a closed loop won't fall off.

20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

... securing a car around the windscreen seems an odd thing to do ...

I have put a rope around the front axle.  It's all but invisible even from above.   I shan't bother at the back.

I have completed the first of the wagons from 247, the Coral A.

spacer.png  

It took me about an hour and a half and most of that was experimenting with wheelsets and bearings to get a free running combination.   From which I have concluded: Hornby wheelsets have too deep a flange and will rub.   I used Wizard Models ref. 16000, 12mm spoked.   I used Wizard waisted bearings. but you have to file the little nipple off the back to get them to sit right down inside the printed axleboxes.   I took just a little off the axle pinpoint on one wheelset to allow it to run freely because the bearing was fractionally proud (and glued).  The axleboxes and hornguides needed dressing to be a free fit, but nothing I'd consider excessive.  I cracked one axlebox but you are supplied with two spares.

Use a round file to open out the buffer holes - I just spin them backwards and forward in my fingers, using progressively larger diameters.  A drill will fracture the resin.   I used a drill bit rubbed back and forth through the coupling hole to start the slot, then a very small file to finish it.   Superglue to attach everything.   I was looking for any small details to add just to personalise it and the only thing I found was the D-C handle.   Older diagrams had what looked like a tommy bar to action the brakes, but I'm guessing that would have been replaced over time.

It's not as light as I expected but will need weight - it'll have to go in the well between the crates, but will barely be visible in there.  It's now primed, so expect to see it finished in due course.

All in all a nice little wagon for not really very much effort at all and my thanks to Brian for asking me to build it.    Next up will be a Hydra, if I can find any information or photographs about it.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Next up will be a Hydra, if I can find any information or photographs about it.

Russell is your friend - "Great Western Wagons Appendix" and "Great Western Wagons Plan Book".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/08/2023 at 04:28, jwealleans said:

Grantham is up at the moment (at least, most of it is) so I sneaked a test run of the Easterling onto it today.   A single Hornby B17 won't haul the set even in its incomplete state, but two of them are quite capable, so that is probably Plan B.    I took a video of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lXZGo_NyQM

My Hornby B1, 61059 did move the set much to my surprise, but only on the level - it didn't have enough to get over the south end hump, so I imagine that with the full 9 cars it'll be over stretched.

Another loco which did move it on the flat and made a much better fist of the climb was this one:

spacer.png

I built 61645 almost 20 years ago before the new Hornby B17 was conceived.   It's a Hornby body with Comet undergubbins and gearbox and a Dave Alexander tender.   With a bit more weight, especially at the rear end, I'd give it a chance with this train.   Owned by Ely club, it's back with me for a bit of tlc (you'll have noted the missing nameplate and paint chips).

The other engine I had with me was one I was told was DOA at Ely show, which concerned me a little.   However, not only did it run, it took the train without breaking sweat.

spacer.png

61571 was built by the late Graham Varley from the PDK kit and I acquired it from the modeller Graham had sold it to.   It's a lovely piece of work and a fine example of what a very skilled craftsman Graham was.   It's worth a closer look.

spacer.png

following on from your video was this fascinating one about banking the Lickey Incline. Great detail on the processes involved, well worth the 10 min if you don't know the clip.

https://youtu.be/Gt1djf1s-5w

• Like 4