West End Workbench

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I'm surrounded by boxes of Grantham stock at the moment, going back over my notes from Harrogate and the running weekend and investigating faults.    Just a couple of jobs from the bench last night:

Quint-RF-roof-vent.jpg

The RF in the Leeds Quint had lost a roof vent.   I had scratchbuilt these, so I wasn't looking forward to trying to replace it, but in the end it was a fairly straightforward job.   The roofs on these have never been finished as I didn't ever get hold of the artwork for the roof boards, but there is a chance that something may finally develop.

D76-conflat-Steel-container.jpg

I put the chains on the first steel container last night as well.   I'm not happy with how well the tensioning is working, so 'll probably have another go.   Slack chains can almost look worse than none at all.

Oooooooh that’s a nice wagon innit 😍

Shame that Sulphate wagons the wrong colour…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

I refer m'learned colleague to the document I supplied, to be admitted to evidence as' Exhibit A.

I'm not convinced wagon kit instructions are admissible as evidence.  Sometimes they're not even admissible in building the wagon kit.

D

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Darryl Tooley said:

I'm not convinced wagon kit instructions are admissible as evidence. 

When Convict Boy and I were having this discussion over Facebook yesterday, I did say that I was prepared to accept that the instructions were wrong (I've found and notified Parkside of errors in their livery advice myself in the past).    It's really only to show that I didn't just make it up or have a brainfart, I did work from what was then probably the only source I had.   This was one of the first half dozen wagon kits I built, probably over 20 years ago.

If he was less of a cheapskate and had bought a new kit of his own, we'd have up to date instructions to refer to.

Interestingly, I put a scan of the picture from Tatlow into one or two of these online colourising sites and they all came back with a reddish tinge.   Now I don't for a minute think they're completely accurate, but I am prepared to believe they give a general idea and in this instance it's leaning towards a shade of brown (or red oxide which is probably what it should be).

I also put a photo of this wagon up here and on the LNER forum a couple of years ago and no-one commented.   Maybe now we can come to a definitive verdict.  Since the wagon wasn't even in the picture he was posting about, here it is for those who'd like to join the debate:

spacer.png

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

When Convict Boy and I were having this discussion over Facebook yesterday, I did say that I was prepared to accept that the instructions were wrong (I've found and notified Parkside of errors in their livery advice myself in the past).    It's really only to show that I didn't just make it up or have a brainfart, I did work from what was then probably the only source I had.   This was one of the first half dozen wagon kits I built, probably over 20 years ago.

If he was less of a cheapskate and had bought a new kit of his own, we'd have up to date instructions to refer to.

Interestingly, I put a scan of the picture from Tatlow into one or two of these online colourising sites and they all came back with a reddish tinge.   Now I don't for a minute think they're completely accurate, but I am prepared to believe they give a general idea and in this instance it's leaning towards a shade of brown (or red oxide which is probably what it should be).

I also put a photo of this wagon up here and on the LNER forum a couple of years ago and no-one commented.   Maybe now we can come to a definitive verdict.  Since the wagon wasn't even in the picture he was posting about, here it is for those who'd like to join the debate:

spacer.png

Just a thought - might wagons carrying sulphate require a more protective finish than, say, those carrying coal?

I recall that BR gave such wagons as COVHOPs, PRESFLOs, PRESTWINs, etc. extra paint applications to protect them from corrosive loads.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

When the topic of sulphate wagons cropped up on your LNER forum thread a number of years ago Jonathan, someone (Peter Berrie) quoted the Roche drawing:

"According to Roche Drawing G/129, Dec. 1949 the painting is:
NE Oxide, black running gear; white tyres and lettering
'BR' dark battleship grey, rest as above."

I fear that leaves you with a toss up between a contractor painter error and a Roche error. Painting instruction errors to contractors weren't unknown ( think 1856, every manufacturer's favourite J39), but as we well know Roche wasn't infallible.

Personally I'd say they should be grey, but then I remember my old Graham Farish N gauge grey one with fondness, so am totally biased!

Just to add that sulphate wagons had a bituminous emulsion painted on the inside according to Tatlow.

There's also a grey Beeson wagon on this page: https://www.milbromodelrailways.co.uk/beeson-mills-evans.html

Simon

Edited by 65179
Added link

59 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

OI! 

You’re always telling me to look out for those bargains. 🤣

I think I’m just in a state of denial as I will have to remove transfers and repaint it! 

Although it really doesn’t make sense as to why they would paint all fitted vehicles red oxide but paint this unfitted wagon the same… 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Re: Bogie Sulphate wagon.

I have an unbuilt (original Parkside) kit for this vehicle. If it is of interest I will extract it from the my kit-box this evening, and read the instructions.

Unfortunately my printer/scanner is currently inoperable owing to the software being apparently obsolete, and I have a lot to do at present and limited energy available.

If required I can perhaps attempt to photograph the instructions, since my 'phone camera/upload/editing does still work!

I haven't built the kit yet because I can't work out a suitable traffic from Haverton Hill for shipment which would use my own railway route.

As Jonathan mentioned above, the 'new' Tatlow Vol 4B does discuss these.

There is also a picture in Brian Stephenson's LNER Album Volume 3 (of 1976  - ISBN 0 7110 0669 5 published by Ian Allen). The book doesn't have page numbers or picture references, but is a lovely browsing book for winter evenings. The picture is presumably a builder's photograph, and the vehicle is apparently light grey with black lettering. Perhaps that was just for photographic definition.

I agree with Jesse in that since it's not fitted I don't see why it would be painted red oxide, despite the nice picture above!

On 06/11/2023 at 07:14, jwealleans said:

Final jobs for Newcastle completed (until I remember something else).   These need couplings, but are otherwise ready to go.

D76-containers-finished.jpg

While I had the weathering gear out I finished off some other wagons:

spacer.png

Traction truck with load now secured  - hopefully something like correctly.

Ratio-LMS-van-Oxford-open.jpg

Oxford open I picked up at Shildon for eight quid.   You can find these very cheaply now they've been out a while and other than correcting the brakes they take very little work.  I have also replaced the buffers on this one with the better LMS casting.

GK-loco-lamps.jpg

Finally, although he won't be joining us at Newcastle, a nod to Mr King for another heroic contribution: sixty (count them) loco lamps.   Even at the rate we lose them, this should see the layout out.   A splash of silver paint, a .75mm hole and a spot of Tacky Wax and they're ready for use.

Mr King must have lost my address!!

9 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Nice rope work Jonathan!

Tied down just as it should be, I've had to deal with a DB airfield tractor, (stupidly heavy compared to the DB VAK1 it's based upon .) fortunately I had chains and turnbuckles, but the drawbar and push bar are what the hauliers attached to with crossed chains. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 06/11/2023 at 21:57, rowanj said:

Looking forward to seeing Grantham and hopefully saying "Hello"

Seems we'll have to wait for that occasion, John: we've heard today that the show has been cancelled due to the damage caused by Storm Ciaran a week ago.

• Friendly/supportive 5

21 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Seems we'll have to wait for that occasion, John: we've heard today that the show has been cancelled due to the damage caused by Storm Ciaran a week ago.

That's a real shame, Jonathan. We Geordies will be wearing long-sleeved T-Shirts next!

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, Nick Lawson said:

Be reassured by Vic & Bob:

Absolutely hilarious and the treat of a very young Amanda Holden too !!!!

So true though - as a soft "Cockney" (I was from Kent !!) - a moniker applied to anyone from pretty much south of Low Fell did my 1st courting in 1983 of a Gal from "Walzeeend" but of course including customary visits to St James Park - can support this was exactly what it was and without a doubt most likely still like in the City of a evening.

Ironic that both Vic & Bob in the 90's chose to live not too far away from me near Ashford in Kent - have stood behind Vic in the the queue at Willesbrough Tesco's on a least 2 occasions 😁

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 3