West End Workbench

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I'm no lawyer, but an objective test which could be repeated at will by anyone else can't be hearsay, surely?

I used to be a lawyer, and as this is reproduction of an object, not of what someone allegedly said, it is not hearsay. Now we come to the reason for my contribution. My fee is 50 guineas please, and I accept online payments these days.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

34 minutes ago, great northern said:

My fee is 50 guineas please, and I accept online payments these days.

It's just as well you do, Gilbert, since I'm allocating those costs to he who made the suggestion in the first place.   What's the Guinea to AUD rate presently?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, gr.king said:

Are free, online, generic colourisers so thoroughly well developed that they will "know" that they are looking at a railway scene or item, know the period / area / company (and therefore know some of the certain or likely colours) and can they work out for themselves whether the image is a product of panchromatic or orthochromatic emulsion?

I'd take a very great deal of convincing.

Short answer: No.

864f829d-0509-40e0-baf2-7c50e1fb0005.jpg.d1bffdf68b7c47eb1f28119b3ef5003f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

12 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I'm no lawyer, but an objective test which could be repeated at will by anyone else can't be hearsay, surely?

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm not sure hearsay was quite the word they were looking for, Heresy, maybe? There have been a number of interesting threads on distinguishing red wagons and grey wagons in monochrome photos; a recent one is here:

There's also a good discussion here, which I think refers back to previous debates:

7 hours ago, great northern said:

I used to be a lawyer, and as this is reproduction of an object, not of what someone allegedly said, it is not hearsay. Now we come to the reason for my contribution. My fee is 50 guineas please, and I accept online payments these days.

Objection, Hearsay. 

• Funny 2

Well, we're getting further and further from my comfort zone as this progresses..... do all these sites work the same way or on the basis of the same assumptions?   I did, quite deliberately use several different ones when I was looking at this picture. 

Anyone have anything additional to throw into the mix?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

warley-Flat-T-small.jpg

A pair of Flat-T bodies.   The bogies were a gift from Jesse Sim and are 3D printed by Al at NIU models.   He doesn't seem to list them but I'm sure an enquiry would procure some.   These were a joint LMS/LNER project as part of war preparations in the late 1930s, so they appear in both Tatlow and Essery.   Buffers are from LMS.    This was very straightforward to make and I had both of these done by the end of Saturday.   I always start two of anything I'm scratchbuilding in case I foul one up, it means you don't have to start again from the beginning.  If you complete both, it's a bonus.

I have a spare set of bogies if you’d like them. I got two sets for exactly the reason you mentioned. Would you like them? 

I was going to donate my spare body to the future proprietor of the extra set you sent me in the summer, but if you haven't found a use for them by the time you're next over, bring them along.  It doesn't take long to knock up a wagon to sit on top of them.  Do you know what else they might have been used for?

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

After pontificating on how do make your own transfers and how easy it is, I had something of a disaster today with the first ones on white paper I tried.   They had been varnished with the Keen lacquer shown upthread which hadn't sealed them at all, so on exposure to water the red ink gleefully fled the paper and spread itself over everything.   A second batch was printed and sealed with Halfords lacquer and they have been absolutely fine.   I wonder if the Keen stuff is reaching the end of its useful life?

That minor matter aside, I'm really chuffed that almost 10 years after I started it, I have fitted the very distinctive roofboards to the Leeds Quint.

Leeds-quint-roofboards-1.jpg

Leeds-quint-roofboards-2.jpg

My grateful thanks to Phil Mullins who made and supplied the artwork.   The roofs can now be painted a suitable shade of black and the thing is finally done.

Other than that I've been chaining things up.   I had a delivery from Ambis Engineering last week and found out a number of single bolsters which hadn't been festooned with chains.  Even an empty wagon can take some detailing.   These have been built a while and I struggled to remember exactly what some of them are:

NE-singles-finished.jpg

Early LNER design, scratchbuilt.  I only repaired and patch painted these.  They'll need a bit of weight adding but they're a nice job by someone.

ABS-single-bolsters-finished.jpg

These are by ABS; I have a feeling they're Midland.   They used to come as a pair in the pack as I recall.

ABS-midland-Bradwell-NR-singles-finished

The left hand one is also whitemetal and has the look of an ABS moulding to me; is it LMS?   It's a touch longer than the ones above.   The LNER one is brass and I thought scratchbuilt at first, but it's too neat and regular.   There are no identifying  marks on it but I think it's the Dave Bradwell kit.

Acro-quad-load-finished.jpg

This little bit of whimsy is finished as well.

Flat-T-primed.jpg

The flat wagons are both awaiting parts; I decided the bogies on the Warwell were too awful and have sourced some replacements which I may have before Christmas.   The Flat T needs some of the characteristic lashing rings which I thought I had another pack of; they're on Wizard Models etch ABW (Wagon Stanchions & Shackles).

Yep, it’s offical, I regret sending those bogies to you, your wagons nicer than mine 🤣

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That has rather an L&Y look, from the unusual vee-hanger. Do you have Noel Coates' L&Y Wagons books?

You're right as usual, Stephen - it was identified underneath.   Just as well as I have some of the Noel Coates books but not the one I'd have needed.   Does that make it a David Geen kit?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2023 at 20:34, jwealleans said:

Cambrian-D178-started.jpg

One other thing I have started is this Cambrian C107 D178 5 plank open which I bought at Warley.    I've had one in the Thurston/Wickham Market stock for a few years but it's disappeared.    I imagine someone else has packed it away inadvertently and it wil reappear, but in the meantime another one can't do any harm.   This kit has the one piece underframe so it was a very quick job to assemble.  It's hardening off as I write.  As a bonus you end up with quite a few spare bits off the sprues as you can see.

I did a double-take wqith this photo Jonathan - I initially thought it was meant to be a scale load of some sort of scrap, then I realised it was spare sprue etc! Nice lot of freightage all together though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is the GC van ex-CLC Jonathan?

How Cheshire Lines stock taken on by the LNER and LMS was renumbered is not something I've seen covered.

What colours did you use for the new and newish wood effect on the D178 open? It's very effective.

Simon

• Thanks 1

The LNWR D96 40-ton bogie wagon was designed by Bob Williams for his father's EM gauge model of Aylesbury. He also sold them for some time before they passed into the hands of LRM. The website states "This kit is a development of etches produced for Geoff Williams Aylesbury layout" but doesn't state what changes have been made.

I have one of the original kits in its flat pack brown envelope but still haven't got around to building it.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work as ever Jonathan.

Thanks for the links as well.

The L&Y wagon kit looks very good. I will certainly be ordering one of these. A  good price as well. 

Also the Maketis website looks like a useful website.

Thanks once again. 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Thanks 1