West End Workbench

• RMweb Premium
On 12/11/2023 at 21:02, jwealleans said:

acro-quad-beam-loaded.jpg

The sign is a mockup on paper.  I will make up some waterslide versions and stick them to plastikard panels this week.

I thought this looked very nice in the photo above Jonathan, but seeing it on 'Hills of the North' it looks even better, really interesting and unusual looking item - fantastic!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Preparing this year's display for Warley over the weekend.  This year's theme is scratchbuilding, both the classic approach of cutting up plastic sheets and also using 3D print technology to produce what you want.   I hope to be doing a bit of both.

Warley-display-small.jpg

I'm on stand D35 this year.  For regular visitors, we have been moved to the diagonally opposite corner of the hall, so ahead and slightly to the left as you come through the doors, then right down to the far end.   Closer to the food, further from the gents.   Swings and roundabouts......

My good friend and colleague Mr King can be found to my left on stand D33, while Mr. Nicholas is to our rear on stand D29.   I see that in a change of subject, he's 'planing' layouts this year, so expect to see him behind a large pile of shavings and bring any awkward bits of wood with you for refinishing.  

More details here.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

Re: Bogie Sulphate Wagon

I have to say that your brown one does look very good.

I agree that it should probably be grey. Is there any way this issue might be resolved?

Is there an undiscovered source of colour photographs for Teesside?

.... and it's a good job we didn't have Smell-O-Vision in those days.

I'm not aware of definitive evidence either way, but for what it's worth I put Jesse's scan of the Tatlow photograph through several of those online colourisers and it came back with a red/brown hue each time.   Simply on that basis I'm leaving it alone.

Does anyone have a recent issue of the kit and can say whether the instructions have been updated?

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, durham light infantry said:

From what I can remember Teesside didn't go colour until 1977. Places like Billingham took a little longer.

This will never get old

calvinandhobbes.jpg.187d0ef919fdf015f29da29e7e77d2c9.jpg

It might just change to ultra-colour one day?

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

7 hours ago, jwealleans said:

.... and it's a good job we didn't have Smell-O-Vision in those days.

I'm not aware of definitive evidence either way, but for what it's worth I put Jesse's scan of the Tatlow photograph through several of those online colourisers and it came back with a red/brown hue each time.   Simply on that basis I'm leaving it alone.

Does anyone have a recent issue of the kit and can say whether the instructions have been updated?

Objection, hearsay. 

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I'm no lawyer, but an objective test which could be repeated at will by anyone else can't be hearsay, surely?

I'm not sure hearsay was quite the word they were looking for, Heresy, maybe? There have been a number of interesting threads on distinguishing red wagons and grey wagons in monochrome photos; a recent one is here:

There's also a good discussion here, which I think refers back to previous debates:

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

There's also a thread somewhere that shows how bad AI is, with the purple MR wagon. Just heading out to work so will have to dig it out later unless someone else recalls it.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Are free, online, generic colourisers so thoroughly well developed that they will "know" that they are looking at a railway scene or item, know the period / area / company (and therefore know some of the certain or likely colours) and can they work out for themselves whether the image is a product of panchromatic or orthochromatic emulsion?

I'd take a very great deal of convincing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm not sure hearsay was quite the word they were looking for, Heresy, maybe? There have been a number of interesting threads on distinguishing red wagons and grey wagons in monochrome photos; a recent one is here:

This one is obvious. The one on the left is red (or bauxite) because the body is darker than the roof, while the one on the right is grey with the body lighter than the roof. 

• RMweb Gold

Comparing greys has always been fraught with dangers. Remember the optical illusions from school or elsewhere?

Cover the middle line of the upright block with your finger…

IMG_0375.jpeg.829e33a66c687d9acf0d8025fe5526b1.jpeg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BoD said:

Comparing greys has always been fraught with dangers. Remember the optical illusions from school or elsewhere?

Cover the middle line of the upright block with your finger…

IMG_0375.jpeg.829e33a66c687d9acf0d8025fe5526b1.jpeg

I remember as a sixth former taking A level art we were set the task of replicating a black and white photograph in paint. 

A lot harder than you might think!

• Informative/Useful 1