West End Workbench

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I use two part epoxy both for the roof to ends and roof to sides joints and I've never had a problem.

Thanks Jonathan and @Bucoops - I thought 2-part epoxy would be a popular choice but I'm interested ot know that gorilla glue's good for aly too.

I've used the same technique as you Rich of initially securing something with a dab of cyano  - tack-glueing it, if you will - before lumping on the serious stuff, very useful trick.

image.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

I haven't actually yet built a Comet/MJT coach yet and I must admit that the roof end castings and their joining with the aluminium length is one of the things that puts me off a little, so this discussion is very interesting as I will try one at some stage.

I am dealing with an MJT aluminium roof currently though, so as you are too Jonathan, may I please ask if you - or anyone else - has experienced problems with glue or filler not sticking to the aluminium, either at the point of application or after a disppointingly short time? If so, which brands or types didn't work very well and which would you recommend as being best?

The traditional way is to use Evo-stik and after it's all set add a strengthening fillet of epoxy. I like @Bucoops Rich's suggestion, though, and might try that myself.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

If it's possible, roughen the surfaces of the aluminium that will have the glue applied to create a key. The extruded/ rolled surface has a skin which glue doesn't take to very well. 

Something that I found out the hard way when restoring aluminium / plywood sidecar bodies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My aluminium bodied, SRG Phoenix (former BSL) coaches, assembled from kits using Evostik Impact adhesive 19 years ago, are still in one piece with no visible movement of the joints. The glue was used correctly of course, parts not rushed together with glue still wet, and the aluminium was thoroughly abraded in readiness for the glue. This was when I was already hearing that Evostik was no longer any good, having been made low in solvent to protect idiotic sniffers.

• Agree 1

On 09/07/2023 at 20:53, jwealleans said:

Paint applied today in between other jobs.   The body has had an all over coat of Halfords filler primer, inside and out, and then white along the sides.

BB-D7-body-primed.jpg

The inside coat is for the colour - it makes a good undercoat for the 62/186 I'll use there.   The white is a good base for both the cream and crimson as they're both fairly transparent colours.   It also makes any major blemishes obvious so I can try to do something about them before I start the topcoat application.

BB-D7-underframe-painted.jpg

Floor and bogies now black.   One fairly new change to my carriages is putting paper under the floor above the wheels so they won't short if they both touch the floor.   This is a result of running on Dave Scott's DCC layout where the odd short is tolerated far less kindly than on most of the layouts I frequent.   Although not many of my friends have adopted the Devil's Electrickery (and Wickham Market is very firmly DC), the possibility of visiting other DCC layouts remains.   It doesn't do any harm to a DC layout to eliminate them either, of course.  I had some black paper which was bought for corridor connectors but was too thick, so small pieces of that are attached with PVA.

Nice work.  The white primer is the same reason I always send my models to Geoff in grey primer. It quickly shows minor faults that would spoil the finish.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I don't bother putting seats in any more as they're not really visible either - the internal windows and partitions are about all you can make out at normal viewing distance.

What a good idea! I've been putting seats in using the excuse that they help to keep the interior nice and square, but they're a faff to paint. Next time I'll see how it goes without. Thanks.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ford Sahara Beige and Rosso Red (or Peugeot Regency Red) were my choices in the UK. Over here, I haven't found quite as good a match for the cream (Holts DST59 Beige Sahara is almost OK), unfortunately, but Holts DSF43 Hermitage isn't bad for crimson.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, jwealleans said:

We've jumped an evening here as i forgot to bring the card from the camera down the other night.   The bodyshell had had the first topcoat, the cream colour.

BB-D7-cream.jpg

The previous vehicles in the set had been done with Ford Sahara Beige, which looked a bit pale.   For this carriage I found some Vauxhall Gazelle Beige on Ebay which has a touch more yellow to it.   This had been painted and left 48 hours to harden as we are, of course, going to mask over it.  Masking beaded carriages is a PITA.  I used to use Euro tape, but that seems to have disappeared so it's back to Tamiya and pressing it into the corners with a cocktail stick.   You inevitably get some bleed but you can do your best to minimise it.

BB-D7-red-applied.jpg

The red went on tonight.   This is Ford Rosso red.  You can see that there are some areas where it's seeped under the masking.   I'll touch these in with a brush in due course, but you have to let it thoroughly harden off before you do that.   I've painted the ends a lightly faded black as a first coat as well.

BB-D7-interior-primed.jpg

The interior has had a coat of Halford filler primer - the yellow makes a good base for the wood effect on the interior.   That has been done but I forgot to take a picture.  Next time.

Is this the tape one used to use?

https://nationalbodyshopsupplies.co.uk/t-euro-masking-tape-1-5-36mm-24-rolls-t2536/

37 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I added jumper cables and the dimension plate to the end.   I'm not really sure why they aren't cast in.  Maybe Mike can comment?

They were done over 22 years ago. I cannot recall why certain decisions were made at the time.

Fair point, Bill.  I don't want to open up what would be a pointless debate, but putting part of the jumper assembly onto the casting does seem the least helpful option.   Having it as a separate component for those modelling the GN or earlier LNER would seem better.  Maybe if the Dart Castings chaps are ever revising the masters they might consider that option.

• Like 2

Been a few days - bit of a mare at work meant I got no free time at the weekend.   Anyway, even small steps get you towards where you need to go and there have been a few this week.

BB-D7-Replacement-bolster.jpg

The 1/4" brass hex rod arrived from Macc Models (no connection, but very satisfied) and so i've cut, drilled and tapped a replacement bolster.   You can also see the plastic block i built up around the coupling screw hole.   This helps prevent them from drooping and also, when used as the female end, makes it very obvious when you've got it in the hole so you don't have carriages riding round the layout on top of the adjacent coupling pin.   That also makes them droop and often derails the elevated vehicle.

BB-D7-corr-side-painted-lettered.jpg

The roof has had a couple of coats of a dark grey/black mix, the body has been lettered (HMRS) and lined (Fox) and had three coats of lacquer to seal them in.

BB-D7-comp-side-painted-lettered.jpg

Interior has had another coat of Klear and the whole lot is now in the airing cupboard just to help everything harden off.

To finish with a plug - I shall be demonstrating weathering at Thirsk show this weekend.  It's always a good show and for a very worthy cause (Yorkshire Air Ambulance).  In addition to myself, Rob Pulham of this parish and his very talented wife are usually to be seen as well as Martin Smith and Peter Simmerson whose layouts I operate and which can be seen on this thread.   Hope to see some readers there.

http://www.expo-thirsk.co.uk/blog/

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1