West End Workbench

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2023 at 05:45, jwealleans said:

Just a word to say that I shall be at Ely Show on Saturday operating Wickham Market.   If you're in the area, please come along and support the show.

Hope the show goes well Jonathan! I suggested we attend to my good lady wife, but sandwiched as the Ely show is between ExpoEM last weekend and Railex the next, she was able to help me see that it would be better not to overdo things.

My wife is very good at helping me see things that I might otherwise miss... 🙃

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
On 23/05/2023 at 18:57, jwealleans said:

If I didn't know better, Chas, i might read that as suggesting that someone could go to too many model railway shows.   What a preposterous suggestion.

Yes, quite: well, some people do have odd ideas...

Nice pics of the show - hopefully make the next one!

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Someone else (I can't recall who, but it was at Ely Show) commented on their poor running quite unprompted so the reputation at least still persists.

I have some recently purchased Dapol spoked wheel sets and aside from being loose as measured by the BtB gauge, they were excellent in operation after adjustment.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Most commendable handrail scrolling, especially in view of the tedium and the effect on eyesight which was bad enough when I did mine at the age of forty-something, and I hadn't recently had Covid.
More fun still if you use a soldered T-joint instead of the upper knob...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jwealleans said:

wickham-trolley-crewed.jpg

If I can find it I also intend to rope a wheelbarrow onto the trailer to hide the moulded load.

I removed the unconvincing 'ballast' load, and replaced it with a small stack of sleepers and chairs.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 19/06/2023 at 05:58, jwealleans said:

Been a while.   Mrs W brought a dose of COVID back from Germany with her which she kindly shared and it knocked the stuffing out of me for several weeks.  I still have a cough.   That and being busy at work while the weather was being kind meant not a lot of modelling has gone on recently.   

I can't locate the Dapol wheelset I know I had in the bottom of my toolbox for years.  If I find another set which I can positively identify then I may do some tests to see how they compare to Hornby in terms of running and trackholding.   Someone else (I can't recall who, but it was at Ely Show) commented on their poor running quite unprompted so the reputation at least still persists.

Bits and bobs I have been fiddling on with.... Lowfit now painted and with load posed in place.

9ft-wb-vanfit-lowfit.jpg

I thought I'd illustrated the van which donated the underframe, but apparently not.  Here it is with 9' WB underframe from Evergreen strip, wire and the Mainly Trains brake gear etch.

From a deceased collection I helped dispose of recently, a pair of Ratio LMS vans.   There were about a dozen wagons which I've hung onto for myself as they make useful fodder for weathering demonstrations (e.g Thirsk Show at the end of July).  These had been nicely built, just needed the roofs off to add a bit of weight and wire replacement door handles.

spacer.png

warwell-bowser-painted.jpg

Painted and varnished the towed fuel bowser.  The Warwell needs weathering and then the bowser can be chained down permanently.   I deliberately didn't try to put any unit markings onto the bowser  - having talked to Pete Goss about them when he had Rowlands Castle, it's just a whole world of questions which I don't want to get into.

wickham-trolley-crewed.jpg

Also for Wickham Market, it seemed appropriate to have a Wickham trolley.   ModelU do a crew pack for this and here they are aboard it.  It needs  bit more matting down and the wheels painted.  If I can find it I also intend to rope a wheelbarrow onto the trailer to hide the moulded load.

alan-rose-barnum-finished-1.jpg

Finally I have finished the first Alan Rose Barnum I started months ago.   In a moment of complete stupidity I decided it would look good with the fancy handrails.  The printed one which came with it were a bit chunky for my taste so I made them up from .45 wire.   I could only do one pair a night before I went crosseyed, but in the end I'm quite pleased.  They are a little out of gauge, I think, but at that height unlikely to foul very much.   I see some of the knobs need straightening, we'll do that before it goes into the box with the others.

alan-rose-barnum-handrails.jpg

Are you sure Covid didn’t addle your brain? Must have to think doing those handrails were a good idea….

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Jonathan, is there not a bit of a bow in the sides there; or is it a trick of the camera?

Either way, I find that bogie coach sides are prone to bowing if only from finger pressure in picking them up so i introduce a couple of spacers to break up the length. 

On a full open coach these have to be hidden up high so that they are invisible but on compartment stock you can use the compartment partitions. 

But this generates another issue as I don't like soldering partitions to the faces of the sides as they become a point for the sides to bend on.  My technique, which does not use the Comet floor with the fold up tabs to locate the sides onto is to introduce a stiffener to the sides at the top and bottom of the sides - although this is a self designed kit so they were built into the kit, pictures here will show what I mean.

https://highlandmiscellany.com/2017/06/15/dia-51-full-brake-test-build-part-1/

I then file the partitions 1/2mm narrower on each side and tack them to the strenthening stiffiner at the head and base of the sides.

Do like the gresleys coaches; I have a few kits in their boxes winking at me.................

• Informative/Useful 1

Hallo Mark,

You're a step or two  ahead of me.   There is a bow - not huge, but clearly visible when the sides are offered up to the floor - and I'll tackle that fairly soon.   On kits like Kemilway where the floor is flat, I do put a piece of fret along the bottom of the sides to reinforce them.   If I do that here I'll have clearance issues.   When the roof is glued in place that will tend to pull the sides back in, but I was looking at using an internal partition, such as the one between the two classes, just to bring it back in line and strengthen a bit.   I can then make the interior in two halves.   I'm not sure whether I have any interiors for corridor stock, though, so I may just put a couple of bits of etch across between the tops of the sides to bring it back into line.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting - I've never considered fitting the dome ends to the body then the main part.

I've not heard anything ref Dart re-working the roof method but it would be welcome as they are a pain to blend.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I always find that the fitting of the roof and end domes on these carriages is the most frustrating part of the build.

I’ve mainly used the approach described I.e. fitting the ends first and then cutting the roof to length. Getting the cornices to align properly, though, is then a real faff……at least once I have resorted to putting a plastic strip along the whole length of the cornice to improve the appearance.
Last time I decided to build the complete roof off the body. The result was a much improved cornice appearance…… the trade off was a lot of filing of the ends and domes. Despite this, I ended up with a larger roof overhang over the ends than I wanted. (I take as much white metal as I dare out of the underside of the dome…using a dremel ………it helps the fit of the dome to the end but doesn’t help my nerves😃)

Having said all of the above, I’d never thought about filing the roof down a bit at the joint with the domes…doh! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I've done both and this is currently the favoured approach.  It may change after this build, of course.   It all comes down to what you're most comfortable with, what gives the best result... maybe even down to what works best with the combination of castings you have.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I haven't actually yet built a Comet/MJT coach yet and I must admit that the roof end castings and their joining with the aluminium length is one of the things that puts me off a little, so this discussion is very interesting as I will try one at some stage.

I am dealing with an MJT aluminium roof currently though, so as you are too Jonathan, may I please ask if you - or anyone else - has experienced problems with glue or filler not sticking to the aluminium, either at the point of application or after a disppointingly short time? If so, which brands or types didn't work very well and which would you recommend as being best?

• RMweb Gold

I use 

18 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

I haven't actually yet built a Comet/MJT coach yet and I must admit that the roof end castings and their joining with the aluminium length is one of the things that puts me off a little, so this discussion is very interesting as I will try one at some stage.

I am dealing with an MJT aluminium roof currently though, so as you are too Jonathan, may I please ask if you - or anyone else - has experienced problems with glue or filler not sticking to the aluminium, either at the point of application or after a disppointingly short time? If so, which brands or types didn't work very well and which would you recommend as being best?

For the white metal dome to the aluminium roof, I did try solder designed for aluminium with zero success. Probably didn't clear enough oxidisation or something.

What I have found works is : Clean off as much oxidation on both mating surfaces, then put Permabond 910 super glue (designed for metals) for the initial grab and let it set.

Then make it slightly damp, then a smear of Gorilla Glue over the joint (water activates it - and you don't want much as it expands) and let that set too.

PXL_20230701_153145166.jpg.bf5f1428f54b25f47c545fafb601926a.jpg

I have done one without the permabond, just the gorilla glue and whilst it worked, the expansion needed controlling so it didn't move the parts whilst setting.

D154-4.jpg.7a512f893afcd5b51837540633b50390.jpg

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2