West End Workbench

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Hi Mark,

I'm going to go through the build in detail - I've been working on a couple more and photographing over the last couple of evenings.

Thanks for sharing your work on these Jonathan. As you note, with the steel containers, a real signifier of the Scotch Goods at a particular point in time.  I was quite surprised how long-lived these early LNER conflats were. The conflats V were modified to be more like conflats S, but there's a 1962 view of a Conflat M at Millerhill looking very much as built in Geoff Kent's The 4mm Wagon Part 3.  I'm currently separated from the relevant volume of LNER Wagons so hadn't appreciated that the Diagram 76 had a wooden floor.

Regards,

Simon

Edited by 65179
to add photo details

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

I'm going to go through the build in detail - I've been working on a couple more and photographing over the last couple of evenings.

Think I'm jumping the gun Jonathan.

I'll wait with anticipation...

Cheers,

Mark 

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant work Jonathan.

Thankyou for sharing this build with us.

Watch this space for some PA06 action in the West Riding..

Looking forwards to seeing you D76's finished.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Thanks 1

Question.   Where are the chain attaching points on a Hydra?

Brian's own model from a PMK kit here has them just past each end of the sloped section of the floor.

Sandy Croall's version here doesn't seem to have any visible, but the chains pass suggestively close to where the Russell book suggests they might be, which is on the ends to the inside of the buffer housings.   The Russell photographs aren't clear enough to tell.

Jim McGeown's instructions contains a drawing, but no visible rings or captive shackles.   

Guidance will be appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

The lashing ring locations on GWR hydras and loriets were very similar.  On the buffer beam just above the buffers and near the end of the well:

IMG_2243.jpeg.33a3d2b97d0113f8628c62d856d1bae4.jpeg

On the hydras that have little plates above the buffers they are inboard nearer the coupling hook.  I have a drawing of a G6 hydra that appears to show a ring 2 planks along the well just inside the side girder.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Well, that was nicely timed and thanks very much.   It confirms what I suspected and I'll now put fixings there to attach chains.  I plan to run this empty, so it'll have a set of chains crossed over the floor as they seemed to do.  To assist with that I've filled the underfloor space with lead and it's nice and heavy now.     This is the current state of play:

The chains on the Hydras were inboard of the buffers. The wheel plates over the buffers were close up against the side rails and were likely to have been damaged if the chains were outside them. There is a GA of diagram G16 in Atkins, Beard and Tourret, though it doesn't show attachment points for the chains. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Prompted by exhibiting our club layout in 1955 mode recently, I've been delving into my box of Parkside kits - built, part-built, and unbuilt. I've been putting together PC47, the BR(S) version of the Southern 4-wheel CCT; there's a splendid-looking restored example at the Bluebell that I'm using as reference:

2531_jackgregory_28dec21m.jpg

[Embedded link.]

I've assembled the underframe, as far as adding the lower footboards. The width over these turns out to be 36 mm - scale 9 ft. Now, having been conditioned by much pre-group modelling, anything wider than 8 ft bothers me - 8 ft 6 in at a pinch! Do I need to trim these footboards back a little?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The width over these turns out to be 36 mm - scale 9 ft. Now, having been conditioned by much pre-group modelling, anything wider than 8 ft bothers me - 8 ft 6 in at a pinch! Do I need to trim these footboards back a little?

I don't have a drawing - best I can do is measure the Hornby one I have.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Prompted by exhibiting our club layout in 1955 mode recently, I've been delving into my box of Parkside kits - built, part-built, and unbuilt. I've been putting together PC47, the BR(S) version of the Southern 4-wheel CCT; there's a splendid-looking restored example at the Bluebell that I'm using as reference:

2531_jackgregory_28dec21m.jpg

[Embedded link.]

I've assembled the underframe, as far as adding the lower footboards. The width over these turns out to be 36 mm - scale 9 ft. Now, having been conditioned by much pre-group modelling, anything wider than 8 ft bothers me - 8 ft 6 in at a pinch! Do I need to trim these footboards back a little?

The drawing in the NPCCS volume of Historic Carriage Drawings has the 32ft CCT as 8ft 4 1/2in over angles and 9ft extreme width (which happens to be over footboards).

Simkn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Last week, having some time between applications of paint and transfers on different models, I made a start on another 3D printed wagon.   I'd been pointed in the direction of https://bygone-wagons.com/ before, but had only seen GWR prototypes on there and nothing which immediately grabbed my attention.   I was then advised to look at the 'Upcoming Wagons' page as there was a planned LNER build refrigerated van.   The website is behind, in fact, as this kit is available now.   I have one of these on Grantham which was made up from some Jim McGeown etches shot down, but another couldn't hurt, so I made contact.

Amanda was very easy to deal with; she's happy to supply wagons built up or in component form and she's not precious about her parts being replaced with those other suppliers.   I ordered a couple of the refrigerated vans and also one of the Dyson wagons and tankers on page 2 for another project.

spacer.png

The kit is designed quite differently from others I've put together; there's a basic carcass, top left, to which you then add roof, sides and ends.   There's then an underframe piece , solebars, brake gear and ladders to add.   Bearings are provided - nice touch, not everyone does that - but not wheels except by special request and EM only.  

spacer.png

Having test fitted a few of the components, I decided the best order of assembly would be roof - sides - ends.   The roof had what amounted to locating holes where the ice hatches are, so it could be fitted in exactly the right place.   The sides will then butt up to the roof and are exactly the same length as the carcass, so they can be placed exactly.  The ends then overlap the sides and seal the box.  I glued the roof with epoxy instead of superglue so I had a bit of time to adjust it and made sure it sat down properly onto the curve of the former.   There are print striations on the roof, but my paint/talc roof mix will disguise those.   You can make a new piece with 20 thou plasticard if it offends.

spacer.png

The roof having set, I stuck a lump of lead inside while I could stil get in.

spacer.png

We've jumped a couple of steps here so sides and ends are on.   The sides were too wide and so the corner posts were proud of the sides.   I've primed it so you can see where I had to file them back to make the whole side flush.   You can also see that the bolt heads on the strapping are overscale and there are threads of resin between them which it's worth taking the time to remove.   I think those overscale bolt heads are my major criticism of this design and they're not too obvious at normal viewing distances.

spacer.png

At this point I had to assess how I was going to complete the van.   Above are the underframe components, at least some of which I planned to replace with brass parts.   3D printed resin simply isn't robust enough for the rough and tumble of exhibition use.   Looking at the design of what has been supplied here and given that I'm not doing any sort of formal review for the manufacturer, I decided to discard everything and make a new underframe.

spacer.png

The main part of the underframe assembly which gave me pause were the solebars.   In the end I decided not to use them for two reasons.   One was that by omitting the main underframe piece, which fits behind and reinforces the buffer beam at each end, I would have a gap at each end.   The other was the printed axleboxes which looked a bit vertically stretched to me.   Here they are against the MJT parts I eventually used and you can judge for yourself.  I made new solebars from Evergreen 1/8" channel.

spacer.png

Wheelsets first; MJT axleguards.   The fixed one was positioned and checked for squareness then left to set and the Brassmasters jig used to set the other in place.

spacer.png

Solebars and brake gear now fitted.   Brake gear is the usual Mainly Trains etch.

spacer.png

The end ladders are Wizard Models signal ladders with their .45 square rodding added to beef them up and make them look more realistic.   Note that I'm not fitting the (LMS) buffers until it's painted as it'll be easier to cut the black buffer beam in with the buffers off.

spacer.png

This is more or less where we are now; side and ice hatch handles added and I've since painted the roof grey.  

Shame about the overscale bolts and flash on the strapping; current 3D printing is quite capable of producing a scale representation.

IMHO, 'Ironmink''s designs on Thingiverse are current cutting-edge, with zero striations / flash.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Darryl Tooley said:

Over the upper footboards - about 6" less for the lower ones.

D

Thanks Darryl, 

I'd missed the 'lower' in Stephen's query.

Simon

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...