West End Workbench

Thank you, Simon.  Being a 4mm modeller and not having a printer myself, I'm only really aware of the ones I've actually seen rescaled and printed out.    That's helpful for some of the LMS dagrams at least.  Powsides also do some Big Four container lettering, although I haven't looked at that in any detail other than knowing it exists.

The two LMS refrigerated/insulated diagrams are too big to fit inside any wagon I've tried them in, so I'm not sure what to use there unless someone produces the LMS conflat.  

While we're on the subject of containers, can I ask if anyone knows what these are?  i was sent a picture of B7 5468 on a goods at Denham recently (undated, but post-1928).   The sender wanted to know what these two wagons were carrying.   I thought they were large crates at first, but then found another picture from during WW2 showing an apparently identical container in use, so I think they must be containers.

Unid_containers.jpg.c19451c7c9bf96f231d53abe3cc0723d.jpg

The container beyond the LMS van is clearly a pressed steel one and the two nearer ones do appear to be secured in the manner of containers.  

Unid_container_2.jpg.e39362362c777eb486e4f10cad0caade.jpg

This picture is from 1942 and shows a lighter colour but apparently similar heavy framing.  

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Thank you, Simon.  Being a 4mm modeller and not having a printer myself, I'm only really aware of the ones I've actually seen rescaled and printed out.    That's helpful for some of the LMS dagrams at least.  Powsides also do some Big Four container lettering, although I haven't looked at that in any detail other than knowing it exists.

The two LMS refrigerated/insulated diagrams are too big to fit inside any wagon I've tried them in, so I'm not sure what to use there unless someone produces the LMS conflat.  

While we're on the subject of containers, can I ask if anyone knows what these are?  i was sent a picture of B7 5468 on a goods at Denham recently (undated, but post-1928).   The sender wanted to know what these two wagons were carrying.   I thought they were large crates at first, but then found another picture from during WW2 showing an apparently identical container in use, so I think they must be containers.

The container beyond the LMS van is clearly a pressed steel one and the two nearer ones do appear to be secured in the manner of containers.  

This picture is from 1942 and shows a lighter colour but apparently similar heavy framing.  

Pretty sure that they are the ones used for transporting solid carbon dioxide (DRIKOLD) from ICI.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

That's a good shout, John.   I thought they were shorter and the framing wasn't so heavy, but you could well be right.   The first pair must be well weathered given that they were white when new:

12651350_10206702481274489_4803134313957012787_n.jpg.183821bb008641bfa38eea1d6a84a6d8.jpg

(Photo from Facebook with no attribution).

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I'd missed that you'd given the location. Yes, not a lot of help. The classic CRL Coles shot of 5458 there (used as the basis for the painting on the cover of Railways Illustrated 49) is an up train. Not that I can remember which was UP on the GW & GC Joint (presumably towards London). 

The photo is late March 1936 at the earliest.  Having googled the image, the B7 has new cylinders.

Also Paul Bartlett comes up trumps with a photo showing two AXs on the same conflat: https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnercontainer/hba811a0

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I note that Jim Smith-Wright has built one of the less common 1838 LMS flats (note long brake lever) from a Parkside LMS chassis:

https://p4newstreet.com/another-wagon-diverson/

Is there some issue with doing this? That's essentially what I did for my 2mm ones, crosskitting an LMS chassis with the more open framework of a tanker chassis. Most of the framework can't be seen anyway once you've plonked a container on it.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 3

To be honest, it's not something I've looked at at all, I've concentrated on the LNER ones we needed for Grantham.   I'm sure you could do it as you suggest, but it seems a bit of an open goal for a 3D print equipped supplier.

Someone does a tanker underframe - Cambrian?

I have nearly two full kits of the old Cambrian LMS FM containers/wagons that have come to me second hand -  I don't think I'd want to start from them now if I had to.  A fiddly challenge at best, being all whitemetal for the chassis.

I think the newer Cambrian 17'6" 10ft WB skeleton chassis kit (C105) with new springs/axleboxes from Rumney Models, brakes from Parkside PA16 and the side stops from etched checkerplate might well be easier.

Cambrian_LMS_FM_1.jpg.e38f982e639a9c009e51c7e800665df2.jpg

Edited by 41516
clarity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The LMS container chassis I have are ABS Models kits. They came with Adrian's hand-written instructions. He also sold the main chassis parts together with parts to make an early BR built lowfit. (Diagram 1/001)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you have any photos?  Cambrian's Lowfit shared everything except the solebars with the FM chassis, so I wonder if the masters went to ABS which would explain why the current owner of Cambrian doesn't have them.  Or Mr Swain produced the masters for the white metal parts to begin with?

Cambrian_Lowfit_2.png.2baf115853584f5fd7258b56adb71037.png

Cambrian_Lowfit_1.png.6737924161418facd8e1613e6b44b74e.png

Edited by 41516
Photos added
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 18/02/2024 at 21:13, jwealleans said:

Well here we are two months in to a new year and I seem to have spent most of my modelling time building LMS wagons.   There has been a small amount of LNER activity, though:

Almost certainly my best buy of the year even if it was in January.   Visiting Pontefract show on the Sunday, I spied a NuCast O2 box on the club stand for £70.   Not a bad price, looked quite well made but was at the back of the table and I didn't really need one..... I thought 'probably worth it just for the wheels - I'll see whether it's there when i get back'.    By about 3pm and getting ready to go, I wandered back to the stand having forgotten about it and saw the box still there.   I picked it up for a better look and found, not an O2 but a really nice looking O1 conversion.   After that it wasn't leaving my grasp, money changed hands and home it came.   It's been very well done, nice big Pitman motor, runs very well on the bench (the test track is dismantled at the moment) and I'm looking forward to testing it on Grantham.

O1-3465-small.jpg

I had a lettering session through the week and the Flat T is now ready for weathering.

Flat-T-painted.jpg

In case anyone isn't aware, Ian MacDonald has just announced a brass kit for this wagon, which was also built by the LMS and BR.   If anyone's thinking of trying a brass kit, I can't recommend Ian's highly enough.    

Just before Christmas I acquired an ABS Bolrecs (warwell) kit on Ebay, from Chas Levin of this parish as it turned out.   I put that together over the holiday and it will go into the pipe train on Wickham Market when complete.  I can see I need to reinstate part of the queen post casting I managed to damage.

ABC-Bolrecs-painted.jpg

Finally I've started putting together another Graeme King Conflat V to carry one of the steel containers I had printed last year.   

Conflat-V-steel-BL.jpg

At Doncaster Show, Brian at 247 Developments kindly gave me a set of 6 containers which they have just introduced.   Most are LMS, but there is one GWR and an LNER ventilated steel BL in the set and he did say that these are available individually by order.   They're priced at £4 each.

[attachment=0]247_containers.jpg[/attachment]

Some LMS maroon to finish; the horsebox I was gifted by Jesse last year is now complete and ready for weathering, as is the Caley Coaches CCT.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Did you make some transfers up for the Flat T without telling me? 👀

• RMweb Gold
On 19/02/2024 at 11:31, jwealleans said:

To be honest, it's not something I've looked at at all, I've concentrated on the LNER ones we needed for Grantham.   I'm sure you could do it as you suggest, but it seems a bit of an open goal for a 3D print equipped supplier.

Someone does a tanker underframe - Cambrian?

Yes. Listed as skeleton underframe. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jimwal said:

The LMS container chassis I have are ABS Models kits. They came with Adrian's hand-written instructions. He also sold the main chassis parts together with parts to make an early BR built lowfit. (Diagram 1/001)

My two LMS CHASSIS A kits were both Cambrian Models - but I can well imagine that Adrian Swain cast them.

I do know that they were d*mned fiddly to assemble - unlike ABS kits - so I suspect that the masters were not designed by Adrian.

The whitemetal components were what you might expect of a Cambrian plastic kit, designed to be assembled with solvent. I suspect that whitemetal was used to get sufficient weight into the finished model.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

16 hours ago, 41516 said:

Do you have any photos?  Cambrian's Lowfit shared everything except the solebars with the FM chassis, so I wonder if the masters went to ABS which would explain why the current owner of Cambrian doesn't have them.  Or Mr Swain produced the masters for the white metal parts to begin with?

Cambrian_Lowfit_2.png.2baf115853584f5fd7258b56adb71037.png

Cambrian_Lowfit_1.png.6737924161418facd8e1613e6b44b74e.png

The parts, sketches and acompanying notes look identical but the main text on mine is handwritten as well.

I'm sure I've still got the instructions, if I can find them I'll put photos on here.

• Like 1

Yes, you are right, they were built many years ago, I think the whitemetal parts threw me.

I've not built the lowfit version but done a version using a modified Bachmann lowfit body and Parkside chassis.

20240225_221036.jpg.d6ea31d794e4f77cfe7a1eabbe6b3f5d.jpg

20240225_220946.jpg.c04f23b0afb54533213b932797888537.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/02/2024 at 21:13, jwealleans said:

Flat-T-painted.jpg

Nothing worse when you send a friend some bogies and he scratchbuilds the wagon better than yours 🥲

F3870617-91E8-4C84-A77D-94F4ACAFE7B2.jpeg

382164FC-8AB8-4B8B-94CA-D84560C2140D.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Nothing worse when you send a friend some bogies and he scratchbuilds the wagon better than yours 🥲

Balance the books by scratch building some locos to go with a chimney and some lamps, if you ever get those.

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 22/03/2024 at 21:12, gr.king said:

Balance the books by scratch building some locos to go with a chimney and some lamps, if you ever get those.

I should have them Wednesday week, that’s when my mate gets here after travelling via Melbourne and NZ for a few weeks. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I should have them Wednesday week, that’s when my mate gets here after travelling via Melbourne and NZ for a few weeks. 

That gives you ages to scratch build the locos, ready for them...

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This all sounds a bit like my current project, building a J24 because I had a spare J25 cab etch. Progress is on my kit building thread.

• Friendly/supportive 1