West End Workbench

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

We'll see how long this lasts.

I’m sure I’ll be able to ruin it a week come Sunday.

12 hours ago, 65179 said:

Is the GC van ex-CLC

It is.   The 'CLC' in that sentence had been lost somewhere.   The instructions from Robin Peover included numbering and other details for the wagons passed to the LMS, so I decided to use them.

12 hours ago, 65179 said:

What colours did you use for the new and newish wood effect on the D178 open?  It's very effective.

Thank you.   It's Humbrol 94 and 148, thinned slightly, brushed onto the grey primer.   I plan to put some thinned grey over the buff colour before I varnish and weather it, see how that turns out.

11 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The LNWR D96 40-ton bogie wagon was designed by Bob Williams ....  I have one of the original kits in its flat pack brown envelope

Thanks, Jol.   That's how mine was, in just a plain brown envelope with 'D96 Trolley wagon' or some such noted on it.   If it has been changed, perhaps bogie stretchers have been added?   I had to stop when I reached the point where it told me to make them, not having taken any brass sheet with me.  

11 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The reason the X04 replacement needed "adapting" to fit the G6 is that the original motor wasn't an X04.

I'd eventually reached that conclusion.   My initial thought was that it was an X04 in a fancy mount.   We'll see how my makeshift fixing holds up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2024 at 08:26, jwealleans said:

spacer.png

The right hand vehicle is a Three Peaks Models L & Y D1 open.   This only just qualifies as a kit as there were only two pieces.   It was recommended elsewhere and as I'm always interested to look at new products and manufacturers (and I have a number of LMS containers in need of wagons), i gave it a go.   The finish is very good, the resin is slightly flexible, which is a bonus and it took longer to open the package than to assemble it.

Hi Jonathan

As you say, the 3 Peaks L&Y D1 kit looks about as simple as one could get; I had a look at the website where one can download the instructions - and again, I suspect that it takes longer to read them than to build the model, however, I have one question:

The kit does not include wheels, and there is no mention of embedding wheel bearings / axle cups into the axle boxes. Did you do this - in which case what was your experience in drilling out the axle boxes - or are you just relying on the axles sitting directly in the resin casting.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Morning Tony,

I'm very reluctant just to have axle ends running in resin, it's never a good long term solution.   In this case, Wizard waisted bearings dropped straight in and Gibson 12mm wheels ran freely in them.   About as simple as you can get.

Edited by jwealleans
Spilling.
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Morning Tony,

I'm very reluctant just to have axle ends running in resin, it's never a good long term solution.   In this case, Wizard waisted bearings dropped straight in and Gibson 12mm wheels ran freely in them.   About as simple as you can get.

Thanks Jonathan

That was my concern - but it sounds like the solution is simple.

Tony

• Like 1

On 27/01/2024 at 10:09, Dunsignalling said:

The reason the X04 replacement needed "adapting" to fit the G6 is that the original motor wasn't an X04.

Chassis and motor are from a Hornby Dublo R1.

John

I'd have suggested the same myself somewhat sooner than now, but had not been at my best Saturday onwards owing to some sort of ear infection. Improving significantly now though.

The very unequal wheelbase was one clue pointing to H-D, and I do recall the late owner of one of our no-longer-present model shops describing an "XO4 like" motor used in some of the Dublo models, including some versions of the Castle and 8F if memory is not lying to me. 

Edited by gr.king
Tidying up grammar!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

I'd have suggested the same myself somewhat sooner than now, but was not been at my best Saturday onwards owing to some sort of ear infection. Improving significantly now though.

The very unequal wheelbase was one clue pointing to H-D, and I do recall the late owner of one of our no-longer-present model shops describing an "XO4 like" motor used in some of the Dublo models, including some versions of the Castle and 8F if memory is not lying to me. 

Usually referred to as the half-inch motor back in the day, IIRC. As you say, it was replaced by the Ringfield  motor in later Castles and 8Fs.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Morning Tony,

Thanks Jonathan I was wondering that as well, helped me decide to go and order one now 

• Like 2

On 27/01/2024 at 08:26, jwealleans said:

spacer.png

Fitting wasn't quite as straightforward as I'd hoped; that's not a vanilla X04 in the previous picture and the mounting holes weren't in the right place.   You can't slide the mounting on Peter's replacement over the worm and my puller wouldn't shift it, so I had to cut it off and then use the rear mount to make a replacement.  It's all running now, though, ideally for another few decades

I meant to ask this a few days ago. Did that "XO3 / XO4 replacement" motor come with a pre-fitted Triang-type worm gear and does it really mesh perfectly with the Dublo pinion? If so, that must be a very rare example of Hornby-Dublo and Rovex-Triang using a common standard!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

I meant to ask this a few days ago. Did that "XO3 / XO4 replacement" motor come with a pre-fitted Triang-type worm gear and does it really mesh perfectly with the Dublo pinion? If so, that must be a very rare example of Hornby-Dublo and Rovex-Triang using a common standard!

A bit of grinding paste will fix anything.

15 hours ago, gr.king said:

I meant to ask this a few days ago. Did that "XO3 / XO4 replacement" motor come with a pre-fitted Triang-type worm gear and does it really mesh perfectly with the Dublo pinion?

It certainly did some with a pre-fitted worm - so pre-fitted it bent my puller when I tried to remove it to get the supplied mounting off.

The meshing is not silent, but certainly doesn't grind as though it's mismatched.   With the perversity common to almost all kit built mechanisms, it's quieter in reverse.   Given the age and history of the mech, it may be that none of the original gearset is still present.   Wheels and axles have certainly been replaced.  I don't have it to hand to check whether it's been bushed to use standard Romford axles, which would strongly suggest the gear is a replacement.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

It certainly did some with a pre-fitted worm - so pre-fitted it bent my puller when I tried to remove it to get the supplied mounting off.

The meshing is not silent, but certainly doesn't grind as though it's mismatched.   With the perversity common to almost all kit built mechanisms, it's quieter in reverse.   Given the age and history of the mech, it may be that none of the original gearset is still present.   Wheels and axles have certainly been replaced.  I don't have to to hand to check whether it's been bushed to use standard Romford axles, which would strongly suggest the gear is a replacement.

Unlike Tri-ang, Hornby Dublo used axles of 1/8" diameter, as did Romford. Unless the chassis block was worn, there should be no need to bush anything.

Nowadays Markits also offer 3mm axles to make life easier.  

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jwealleans said:

With the perversity common to almost all kit built mechanisms, it's quieter in reverse. 

That sentence makes me feel so much better! 😅

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, jwealleans said:

With the perversity common to almost all kit built mechanisms, it's quieter in reverse.

That's not unusual with worm drives, where the thrust on the armature is in opposite directions according to which way it is rotating (but you knew that already...).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I've heard that before...

.... but he didn't mention the rest.

Actually Jonathan, Tom Jones refers to precisely this problem in a early draft of a fourth verse, which was eventually dropped from the song before its release:

It’s not unusual to make noise on any run

It’s not unusual to run back as well as front

But when I hear a different noise on any run

It’s not unusual to see me cry

I wanna die…

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 3

youtube link

13 hours ago, jwealleans said:

An unusual prototype and not one I've seen models of before

There's at least one in 4mm about on one of the L&Y exhibition layouts doing the rounds (can't remember the name...) -  it stood out as I'm in the process of having a stab at the earlier single door diagram (45) using two Hornby Kelloggs vans* as a starting point for 'as close as' model using those as a base. 

Dia 45 chosen out of the two bogie vans as there was less to go wrong with scribing new sides!

WIP below, with much tidying up still to do.

LY_Dia45.png.f2bec9928a4ddaa7a27fd7ba438116a8.png

(roof beam looks wobbily where the white plastic blends with the background)

*see the Hornby LWB van thread

EDIT - Layout is Eastwood in P4.  See van from 5.40 on this Youtube link

Edited by 41516
hyperlink
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Well here we are two months in to a new year and I seem to have spent most of my modelling time building LMS wagons. 

As is only right and proper for the preservation of balance and artistic unity.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

They're not, Simon, these are 247's own.   I asked the same question as I know they were aware of Sascha's work.   The only overlap as far as I can see is the LNER BL.  

I'm looking into lettering and also wagons for the LMS diagrams but would be very happy to be beaten to it.   I did ask Mr. Cambrian Models at Warley whether he still had the tooling for the container underframe which they used to do, but it hasn't made it's way to him.   There's an opportunity there for someone, I'm sure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

They're not, Simon, these are 247's own.   I asked the same question as I know they were aware of Sascha's work.   The only overlap as far as I can see is the LNER BL.  

I'm looking into lettering and also wagons for the LMS diagrams but would be very happy to be beaten to it.   I did ask Mr. Cambrian Models at Warley whether he still had the tooling for the container underframe which they used to do, but it hasn't made it's way to him.   There's an opportunity there for someone, I'm sure.

Interesting.  No, a very quick glance suggests Sascha has done all but the GW BX, but I haven't checked diagrams. Sascha's are print your own and primarily for N anyway. 

Here's a link to Printables for some of his LMS ones: https://www.printables.com/model/407423-oit-lms-brbm-type-containers-1-148/files

Decal file in there too. Someone else was looking into getting some transfers done for the refrigerated containers, but I've not heard anything on that front for a while.

Simon