Hattons announce OO Gauge King

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Already pre-ordered a BR late crest job but since I'm on the verge of putting together a c1949/50 mixed rake of passenger stock I'm seriously tempted by one of the early BR period offerings. Said combo won't really be for a layout, more as a display piece once my back room 'modelling space' is replastered, decorated and shelved. Despite the post-war gloom, Paddington must have been a strangely colourful place back then with blue Kings, a smattering of chocolate & cream remnants with 'W' prefixed running numbers amongst the passenger rolling stock, with newly painted blood & custard examples in the mix. Nigh on irresistable!

I knew I should have left those Jim Russell carriage books in the box last week... ;)

Well yes,it was.....underneath the grime.

The games afoot given Hornby's announcement

Yes, it will be interesting to see who is first and who has the better model in the end.

"Speed to the West" is on.

Hattons/DJModels will still likely offer a broader range of liveries, though Hornby coming out with three (almost certainly four) with probably additional liveries over the years is no slouch either.

• RMweb Gold

Dave, if Hattons made a business decision and decided not to go head to head would you be happy to switch to another prototype? I think a loco with equal standing and maybe more resonance for a north western retailer would be the Princess Royal. 2 preserved, multiple liveries and plenty of detail variations. The current Hornby model would be easy to usurp......................

Dave, if Hattons made a business decision and decided not to go head to head would you be happy to switch to another prototype? I think a loco with equal standing and maybe more resonance for a north western retailer would be the Princess Royal. 2 preserved, multiple liveries and plenty of detail variations. The current Hornby model would be easy to usurp......................

Hi mate,

If that unlikely circumstance came about I'd produce whatever the customer wants!

Cheers

Dave

I'll be firmly sticking with DJ models too - regardless of announced numbers, liveries and era variants, I'm not convinced by the Hornby CAD. A King should look bulky and elegant; not ungainly. The front bogie in it's entirety on the Hornby CAD is a complete turn off for me. The price is not too different and the DJ models spec is superior. Thanks for providing an uplifting alternative Dave

I'll be firmly sticking with DJ models too - regardless of announced numbers, liveries and era variants, I'm not convinced by the Hornby CAD. A King should look bulky and elegant; not ungainly. The front bogie in it's entirety on the Hornby CAD is a complete turn off for me. The price is not too different and the DJ models spec is superior. Thanks for providing an uplifting alternative Dave

Hi mate, well I've got more things in mind for this model too.

Cheers

Dave

Not from me, remember this is a Hatton's model, designed and supplied by me, but it's their model.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Do you have a way of preventing light showing too much over the front wheels? A bit of an issue with a lot of 00 GW 4-cylinder models with inside cylinders and motion over the front of the bogie, and still having clearances for model curves. 

All the best,

Rob

Hi Dave,

Do you have a way of preventing light showing too much over the front wheels? A bit of an issue with a lot of 00 GW 4-cylinder models with inside cylinders and motion over the front of the bogie, and still having clearances for model curves. 

All the best,

Rob

I think that in this last week, competitors using our spec for the King, have had a chance to up their game and alter things accordingly.

With this in mind I think it best if I keep quiet about the development of the Hatton's King, and features and level of detail it will have.

Needless to say I think the £10.00 difference will be viewed by many as the best 'extra' £10.00 they have spent on a model!

Cheers

Dave

To Be honest after the "Duke of Gloucester" if I wanted a quality model of a Classic British Steam Loco I wouldn't buy one from Hornby who ever has commissioned the model, So Dave's model will get my vote and Hatton's my money when they are ready.

Pete 

This is probably the cheaky curiousty question for which I guess there may not be a reply (and I respect that) but..... were you or Hattons aware that Hornby had a King on the drawing board before Hattons made their annoucement?

Good luck with the project anyway and I agree the new red King does look narrow although maybe that is because the old model looked wide!

Also what colour box do you have in mind?

Archived