Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Trainspotting at exhibitions

MarkSG

I went along to the Redditch show yesterday. It was very enjoyable, a good selection of layouts of which the majority were new to me - which is always one of the things that makes a show worth visiting.

One thing in particular, though, raised a smile. Now that the Hattons/Heljan Garratt is finally with us, I'd been wondering how soon it would be before I saw one on a layout at an exhibition. So, at the very first exhibition I visited after it was released, on the very first layout I stopped to look at, the very first train I saw come round from the fiddle yard was hauled by - you've guessed it, a Garratt :) It was a very pleasing moment.

Anyway, that set me thinking. Although not quite at the same level of hyper-coincidence, I can remember feeling a similar sense of satisfaction at seeing other iconic locos and trains on other layouts. Mallard on Gresley Beat, for example, or the first time I saw a Blue Pullman in operation. Likewise, although I'm not particularly a US diesel fan, an Alco PA1, because it's a classic (and distinctive) loco in Railroad Tycoon 2.

I've come to the conclusion, therefore, that I'm definitely a model trainspotter. Exhibition layouts are more interesting to me if they feature a loco that I particularly want to see, and even more so if it's one that I haven't yet seen "in the wild", so to speak (and in the glass cabinets at manufacturer stands doesn't count!).

Am I alone in this, or do other people also find themselves mentally ticking off the locos they've seen on exhibition layouts? I don't just mean particular RTR models, but any model of a specific prototype that you find appealing for any reason. Maybe there's a market there for a real trainspotter's stockbook, albeit for the miniature versions. See who can tick them all off soonest!

I have seen people physically recording numbers of pass model trains, and not for any photographic purposes.

I recall going to exhibitions in the past where items of rolling stock or locos have been released by manufacturers at the show or a few days previous, which have then started to progressively appear on layouts as the exhibition progresses.

Surely one of the many things we do when we build our layouts is to stock them with the things which run or ran in the area that we attempt to portray. Some people model exact places and times; others of us inhabit a world of make-believe, of our imaginations where we invent a town or village in a particular part of the country. Isn't that just the fictitious equivalent of trainspotting ? it's just like having a day out in another part of the country where you see different trains.

When we took Grantham to Barrow Hill earlier in the year we produced (by 'we', I think I mean Barry) a facsimile Ian Allan book with the loco numbers on so those so inclined could 'spot'.  I thought it was a good idea, something kids especially like to do, but I don't know how many we gave out.

Some years ago there used ot be a regular vistor to shows in the South east who used ot read out loud the numbers of locos running on our layouts.

havent seen him of late though. Not sure how he would get on with some of the numbers on N scale stock!!

You don't mean the legendary "Rubber Band Man" who used to narrate loudly everything that was happening on the layout he was standing in front of?

He was a very special kinda guy.

• RMweb Gold

I certainly respond when I see a loco that "means" something to me on a layout. Some years back, a rather nice LBSCR layout (O gauge, I think) at Brighton Modelworld had an E-special tank, although I can't now remember if it was 157 Barcelona or 158 West Brighton.

Whenever I come across trainspotting, I invariably think: "Choose life."

Puts me more in mind of "One flew over the Cuckoos Nest" and whilst I'm on the subject, is it possible to have a deodorant spray available for those "gentlemen" who seem to avoid washing prior to attending exhibitions......they always seem to stand next to me !

• RMweb Premium

Puts me more in mind of "One flew over the Cuckoos Nest" and whilst I'm on the subject, is it possible to have a deodorant spray available for those "gentlemen" who seem to avoid washing prior to attending exhibitions......they always seem to stand next to me !

Beware, I thought that recently.......... and then I checked my own armpits :sarcastichand:

Quackers.

When we took Grantham to Barrow Hill earlier in the year we produced (by 'we', I think I mean Barry) a facsimile Ian Allan book with the loco numbers on so those so inclined could 'spot'.  I thought it was a good idea, something kids especially like to do, but I don't know how many we gave out.

Answer - not many!

The Shipley guys do this. Lean on the barriers in front of Leicester South and you should find an A5-sized list to hand. They used to do the same thing with Tebay.

I'm sorry, can we just rewind again? 

People take the numbers of stock running on model railway layouts?!?!?!?!?!?!

That might explain the dirty look I got when I produced a split box 37 one year with the headcode 4R53 (which of course is something rather rude for those of you familiar with leet speak.

Say Hello,

Next time you come across one of these guys.

Because i am always standing on the other side of them.

There's a chap who visits the shows in the south east that we call the number cruncher. He avidly writes down all the loco numbers he sees. My mate upset him because he 'dual numbers' his loco's.

What about re-numbering the loco's by just giving them a DCC address, now that could cause an interesting dilemma ! Just a thought :)

• RMweb Premium

There's a chap who visits the shows in the south east that we call the number cruncher. He avidly writes down all the loco numbers he sees. My mate upset him because he 'dual numbers' his loco's.

Haven't seen him lately, he's usually with a 'minder'. Another one who I haven't seen recently is the 'lady' about six feet tall with a deep voice and large hands. :O

• RMweb Premium

Hi Lloyd

He was there on Saturday, did you spot him.  :scratchhead:

A few years ago, pre Heljan Baby Deltic, he was pleased as punch to "cop" all 10 class 23s on Hanging Hill. :O

Another one who I haven't seen recently is the 'lady' about six feet tall with a deep voice and large hands. :O

A rebuild, not to original specification.

For those who know me, will tell you my eldest daughter used  to tell the world she was 5 ft. 13ins and she was. Not anymore though, as age is catching up with her and she's started to shrink.  Down to 5ft 12ins now.

Has anyone had experienced the fella who stands in front of the layout and announces every trains appearance with, it has to be said a passable imitation of a SR EMU two-tone horn.......................... :O

Very unnerving especially when the layout is a Swiss RhB

Haven't seen him lately, he's usually with a 'minder'. Another one who I haven't seen recently is the 'lady' about six feet tall with a deep voice and large hands. :O

I know this individual, used to be a guard on a preserved railway many years ago, hands like shovels...

Archived