Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

My bank balance is no hurry. Both the S15 and O2 hit my cc bill last month. As did Bachmann Parcels van.

Bit like number 11 buses.

All of the above times two for me. I anticipate coming home later this week with the second of my S15s, the two PLVs, a Hawksworth Auto-trailer * and a 7mm Dapol Terrier. 

Fortunately, I had an uncharacteristic attack of foresight (or, more probably, a characteristic one of fatalism :O). As the usual trickle (by historic standards) of SR announcements gradually developed into a healthy stream, I guessed that Murphy's Law would guarantee grouped arrivals and began to prepare for it. Manufacturing delays have been my friend and (I think) I have everything anticipated up to the end of the year covered.

Mind you, with three Adams Radials (two from Oxford), a Schools, two (maybe three) Bulleid Pacifics, a DJM 14xx * and various coaches still to come over the next few months, it will be a close run thing in early 2016!

John

* EDIT: "My" bit of the Southern went over to the Dark Side at the end of 1962. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

Indeed doesn't look bad, shame about the metal block going between the chassis and the bottom of the boiler that's slight disappointing, but it looks pretty good, nice cab details, not sure on the hand rails of smoke-box dart, but not bad... sadly haven't shared much info since they were first announced.

Also images on their website: http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/OR76AR001.htm

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't quite put my finger on it and maybe its just me but it looks chunky and the lining heavy, the silver painted handrails look odd too.  

I agree but I think it is just the silver that makes the handrails look wrong.  The smokebox dart looks clumsy too.  Both easily fixed with a touch of black paint I expect.

If one is on show at Warley, it would be interesting to see some alternative photographs.  Perhaps the lining and brass fittings are being over emphasised by bright photographic lighting?

It occurs to me that the rail also looks chunky.  Is there some odd photographic distortion going on here?

Very aesthetically pleasing.
Although, and it may just be to my eye, something about the 'face' of the engine looks wrong. It appears to me that the Smokebox number plate is mounted marginally too high, as the bottom right-hand corner should just be touching the Higher Smokebox Door-hinge. A minor error, but I can't help but feel it spoils the 'face' a little. See: https://froxfield2012.smugmug.com/BRSouthernRegion/BR-Southern-Region-1950s/i-pnff6PG/0/L/30583%20Lyme%20Regis%201955-L.jpg

Also, the tyres on the bogie wheels look rather thick...

Regards,
Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that my first choice was to be the Hornby Radial and I have seen nothing here to convince me otherwise.

Oxford needed to nail this and, to me at least, they appear a little wide of the mark.

Rob.

Indeed doesn't look bad, shame about the metal block going between the chassis and the bottom of the boiler that's slight disappointing, but it looks pretty good, nice cab details, not sure on the hand rails of smoke-box dart, but not bad... sadly haven't shared much info since they were first announced.

Also images on their website: http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/OR76AR001.htm

Although, and it may just be to my eye, something about the 'face' of the engine looks wrong. It appears to me that the Smokebox number plate is mounted marginally too high, as the bottom right-hand corner should just be touching the Higher Smokebox Door-hinge. A minor error, but I can't help but feel it spoils the 'face' a little. See: https://froxfield2012.smugmug.com/BRSouthernRegion/BR-Southern-Region-1950s/i-pnff6PG/0/L/30583%20Lyme%20Regis%201955-L.jpg

Regards,

Matt

To be fair the Hornby pictures show side views and, on recent form, their bogie wheels are likely to be just as thick.  That also doesn't really affect me as it will be EM'd as soon as possible anyway.

But for me, if the Oxford Rail model doesn't have daylight under the boiler, that will clinch it.  A shame if that's the case because I was looking forward to another quality manufacturer emerging.

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

Matt

I'm no sort of expert on these engines but as you say something doesn't look quite right about the 'face although the silver coloured handrail  and smokebox door handles might not be helping - is the smokebox numberplate a bit oversize?

Anyway all academic for me as apart from seeing for possible future reference what someone new to the market is managing, and what they are getting out of the Chinese factory they are using,  I shan't be buying either this one or Hornby's version as there's plenty of Westernry in the offing to attract my plastic.

I have to agree with some comments, the front smoke-box door is a tad high or too big, the lack of gap under the barrel is disappointing although it's down to the placement of the motor or ballast, the running plate still looks a tad bowed toward the front. Some bits are nice others not so, some parts of the chassis design are good similar to Bachmann with the radial axle, increasing the swing of the front bogie by moving the mount backwards... 

I think i will be swapping my order back to the other sadly.

• RMweb Gold

The more I look at this, the worse it appears. Easy to be critical but its my money at the end of the day.

The footplate does not seem flat and it looks to me as if the bunker droops slightly. Also, is it my wonky eye but do the buffers point up.

It pains me to be so critical, by nature I am not but to my untrained eye it just does not look right.

Rob.

post-14122-0-62130500-1447889219.jpg

Edited by nhy581

That silver handrail & smoke box dart is throwing everything off. If they were darkened it would look much better.

Also that left buffer as we look at the photo doesn't help point upwards like it does.

I'm sure that these things will be sorted before release.

If not they will have an awful lot of stock left over.

Look on the bright side of things,- - - the handrail knobs appear to be at the correct angle of dangle.

I' ll leave it at that. 

Until we see an actual production model I think its a little too early to start fault finding.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Comparing the photos I think it's the number plate is too big or too high. The lack of gap under the boiler would make me want to see it in the flesh to see how it looks from normal viewing angles as you rarely get side on but that's the most noticeable issue for me.

Just had an email from Oxford Rail to say that the late BR model of 30583 will be released next week!  I hope the rush to market hasn't led to the seeming flaws that we have all commented on, but I suppose the 'real thing' will confirm or dismiss that.

Fortunately I'm only interested in the LSWR version and I guess by the time that appears I will know if it's going to be Hornby or Oxford.

Indeed I saw the LSWR one in the flesh in June sadly haven't seen much of it since, but after some thought last night looking at all the images past and present, I sadly cancelled my order but I hope they do well, Hopefully will get hands on with the BR on when they arrive as I do some photography for a model shop so I get a nice look at it.

I never knew we had a group of wise men who could undertake such a detailed review based on one PR photo!

Out of curiosity, perhaps they could list the reference sources they are comparing with? As I suspect until we see some more objective reviews from the magazines all we're going to get is a list of perceived faults. Am I the only one thinking it would be nice on here to have a more balanced set of comments from some one who can back up what they say. It's always so negative!

Personally I'm off to my local shop next week as they've just been told their stock arrives on Wednesday.

Oh - website has updated again this morning to say it's now being released:

http://www.oxfordrail.com/

...The footplate does not seem flat and it looks to me as if the bunker droops slightly. Also, is it my wonky eye but do the buffers point up...

...Also that left buffer as we look at the photo doesn't help point upwards like it does...

Now I am wholly reliant on photographs as far as comparison to prototype is concerned, with all the concerns for possible optical distortion in images. But some pictures of 30853 in company with 30854 in the same picture show '3' to be bent in the footplate department where '4' is pretty much straight. There's one pic of '3' in early crest with gives the impression of a cocked up front buffer too. Tell you what is definitely wrong, that front bufferbeam is far too clean and tidy: pock marked with rust and the paint off around the drawgear on all three was typical, even though they are generally otherwise clean and tidy. These were old engines, and it showed.

• Like 2