Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

The reference to potential solvent damage to the applied paint is welcome news. Implies to me that the tampo printed numbers etc will be easily removeable, just the ticket if that's going to be a general feature of the range.

I personally would not interpret it as such. Solvents and RTR models do not mix, whether or not it means the model will be easy or hard to renumber, we will have to wait and see.

From the operations leaflet, a seems that a weakness of the Oxford design is the DCC chip socket. While there exists some 8 pin designs that are not much bigger than the socket they replace, this limits us to plain DCC and there seems to be no proviso for a classic 8 pin chip with leads. Converting one to sound will require hard soldering a 6 pin but where will you place the chip is another question. It will probably be too big for the bunker and you still need to find space for a speaker (maybe a small zimo will squeeze in).

I doubt Hornby will be better here though. Only DJM seem to design their small tank locos with DCC sound in mind at this time.

...From the operations leaflet, a seems that a weakness of the Oxford design is the DCC chip socket. While there exists some 8 pin designs that are not much bigger than the socket they replace, this limits us to plain DCC and there seems to be no proviso for a classic 8 pin chip with leads...

At least the socket is in a useful place, bunkers with their typically cuboid void are a pretty easy location for a decoder.

Cannot tell from the diagram what space will be available, First thoughts would be plugging in an 8 pin wired type, then winding the wire bundle round the socket and putting the decoder flat on top of the plug. If there is insufficient space for that it is easy enough to create more space. On many models removing a socket from its mounting or removing the socket entirely and hardwiring are good options. (I usually want to get more weight in rather than a speaker, but the principle is the same: remove anything bulky from the useful voids inside the model.)

The significant aspect is that with all the wiring coming to the bunker for the socket, there's what is most likely the roomiest cuboid void on the loco neatly available for a decoder location. (If the Adams loco design proves too small to accomodate current speaker designs out of sight, that's not the fault of the model!)

I believe the DJM O2 will have space for chip in the smokebox and speaker in the bunker.

A 6 pin socket would be best for a model like the radial. I would avoid bulky 8 pin designs all together. I will see when the model comes out what can be done however...

Bachmanns E4, a somewhat bigger tank, has space to plug a 6 pin. Removing the 6 pin holder gives space for a speaker providing you hard solder it. but how much better would it have been if Bachmann had left the bunker space clear for this ?

I believe the DJM O2 will have space for chip in the smokebox and speaker in the bunker.

A 6 pin socket would be best for a model like the radial. I would avoid bulky 8 pin designs all together. I will see when the model comes out what can be done however...

Bachmanns E4, a somewhat bigger tank, has space to plug a 6 pin. Removing the 6 pin holder gives space for a speaker providing you hard solder it. but how much better would it have been if Bachmann had left the bunker space clear for this ?

Hi,

The Kernow O2 has a 6 pin dcc decoder socket in the smoke box and has 2 wires running to the bunker from the decoder board, to the cavity engineered in the bunker for a sugar cube speaker.

Hope this helps

Cheer

Dave

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Am I right in saying both BR Version ran on the Lyme Regis Branch? Sorry if this has been mentioned before... 

Yes, but not at the same time......

The illustrations so far published show both 30583 and 30584 with the tall Adams dome and there was only one surviving boiler so fitted.

By the time 30583 got it in 1959, 30584 had the other Adams boiler with a lower dome. 30584 had the tall dome up to September 1954..

The boiler with the tall dome seems to have been out of use between 1954 and 1959.

30582 and 30583 carried Drummond boilers (safety valves on domes) throughout that period.

If they arrive the way they are pictured, I'll be slicing a bit out of the dome on 30584.

John

* edited to remove possible ambiguity *

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 4 weeks later...
Guest spet0114

Tim Mulhall of Oxford Rail said

The livery samples arrived through customs as late as Friday afternoon before being driven up to me at the show on Saturday. On Sunday they were then handed over to one of our researches so they can be carefully checked for further development of the livery and cosmetic components. We’ll issue pictures as soon as we have those reviewed and know what items on them are being enhanced further.

Did the promised pictures ever get issued?

Here's an unofficial update: they are working hard on it.

If anyone interested goes back to look at the published photos up thread taken when the EP was exhibited there are several poor fits in evidence between the bodywork components. Along with testing ease of assembly for the operator, that's a major part of what an EP is intended to explore, are all the fits correct? If not, then it's 'revise the tooling to correct the fits' time, followed by another EP. And there's what they are working hard at in my opinion, to achieve the planned release date.

As for the non-appearance of photos of the liveried samples, on body assemblies roughly contemporary with the EP? My guess might be that they felt they really were not good enough for public release at that stage. A wise move if that's the case, to avoid a shitstorm of uninformed criticism.

• Like 1

Well the Operations and Maintenance leaflet is now online. That seems like a good sign to me.

http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/leaflets/OR76AR%20Maint%20Sheet.pdf

If anyone has a copy of the Maintenance Sheet per the above, I would be grateful if they could send it to me.  When I tried this link it just about froze the computer, eventually downloading the first of the two landscape pages before the browser quit.  My address - tandn@burgesstribe.co.uk

Many thanks

If anyone has a copy of the Maintenance Sheet per the above, I would be grateful if they could send it to me.  When I tried this link it just about froze the computer, eventually downloading the first of the two landscape pages before the browser quit.  My address - tandn@burgesstribe.co.uk

Many thanks

You should have that now.

• 2 weeks later...

My bank balance is no hurry. Both the S15 and O2 hit my cc bill last month. As did Bachmann Parcels van.

Bit like number 11 buses.

I know that feeling, an S15 a long awaited E4 this month and a 02 due in December. The longer they take with the Adams the better.

Atb

Nik