N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Mike/Ben,

After seeing 390104 (Alsthom Livery) at Carlisle at the weekend, I've kind of gone off this as one of my choices. Hopefully, I can change this one to a more mainstream 390/1 along with the other 390/1 I have to choose anyway as 390130 City of Edinburgh didn't make the cut. The

Poppy Pendo stays safe though....

Later,

Stu from EGDL....

Edited by Stu from EGDL

• RMweb Gold

Mike/Ben,

After seeing 390104 (Alsthom Livery) at Carlisle at the weekend, I've kind of gone off this as one of my choices. Hopefully, I can change this one to a more mainstream 390/1 along with the other 390/1 I have to choose anyway as 390130 City of Edinburgh didn't make the cut. The

Poppy Pendo stays safe though....

Later,

Stu from EGDL....

Hi Stu,

The website will soon be ready for people to order specific models, so you can change then.

However, I do wonder whether the Alstom version is one of those items that looks better as a model than as the real thing! I feel the Class 70 is a bit like that!

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Apologies for the odd timing of this post but I'm abroad at the moment. However, we are keen to move forward with the CADs of the Pendolino so here are some more images for comment.

The bogies are pretty much there now. The dampers are separate parts to allow the bogie frames to be correctly recessed...

post-420-0-43251500-1437704309.jpg

The PTF and PTSRMB vehicles have now had the pantographs added. These are plastic mouldings, and poseable, rather than sprung, since we felt that more people operate their models without contact wires than with!! We'd like to thank Brecknell Willis who sent us excellent drawings of the real thing to help us get this right. There are still a couple of mods to the collector needed - the ends should be less angular - but I think we are definitely getting there.

post-420-0-87562500-1437704781.jpg

As ever any feedback or comment appreciated.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ben, those CAD's look fabulous. Will the pantograph be available as a spare?

I don't know how much demand there would be for them as though they are based on the Brecknell Willis HS they are actually unique to the Pendolino IIRC.

Cheers, Mike

I don't know how much demand there would be for them as though they are based on the Brecknell Willis HS they are actually unique to the Pendolino IIRC.

Cheers, Mike

Indeed, but the pantograph could still be used by others with a modified base.

• RMweb Gold

Hi WDP4D,

We will see what we can do. As Mike says, because this panto is designed specifically for the Pendolino (which tilts) there are some parts that are different to other high speed pantos in use.

The visible differences seem, to me, to be around the base of the unit and the positioning of the aerofoils.

Once we are approaching the actual point of commissioning production it may be we can arrange to produce a few additional pantos as separate items for a limited number who want them, but supplying them as an "official" separate item would create a need for packaging etc.

Let's revisit this nearer the time.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi WDP4D,

We will see what we can do. As Mike says, because this panto is designed specifically for the Pendolino (which tilts) there are some parts that are different to other high speed pantos in use.

The visible differences seem, to me, to be around the base of the unit and the positioning of the aerofoils.

Once we are approaching the actual point of commissioning production it may be we can arrange to produce a few additional pantos as separate items for a limited number who want them, but supplying them as an "official" separate item would create a need for packaging etc.

Let's revisit this nearer the time.

Cheers

Ben A.

Is it going to be delicate enough that spares may be needed aswell for those of us who might get carried away running it on layouts that dont really have clearance for the panto' up??

• Like 1

Is it going to be delicate enough that spares may be needed aswell for those of us who might get carried away running it on layouts that dont really have clearance for the panto' up??

Been there, done that just yesterday with a Minitrix SNCF BB22200 under a newly installed parapet. Doh!

While everyone involved in this project deserves huge rounds of applause almost daily in my opinion, I'd like to give an extra clap or two for the unnamed genius who manages to wrestle Solidworks into producing such beautiful CAD creations. In my experience its not an easy program to love, and Rapido obviously have some very talented designers on their books!

David

Hi Gang,

Add me in a handful of pantographs, for spares and repairs...

I'm bound to break at least 2 out of 6 over the three models, especially when you have to lower the front pan and raise the rear pan every time you change direction!!!

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

While everyone involved in this project deserves huge rounds of applause almost daily in my opinion, I'd like to give an extra clap or two for the unnamed genius who manages to wrestle Solidworks into producing such beautiful CAD creations. In my experience its not an easy program to love, and Rapido obviously have some very talented designers on their books!

David

Thanks, David. That's really appreciated.  We do indeed have some very talented people on staff.

We've also had help from some Pendo experts who prefer to remain nameless.  Without them, we could not get this done with anything approaching this level of accuracy.

-Jason

Been there, done that just yesterday with a Minitrix SNCF BB22200 under a newly installed parapet. Doh!

I've also wiped out the pantograph on a Hornby 92 running it on a layout with OHLE but which was not smooth enough for the lightweight Hornby pantograph they fit on the 92. If a thin lightweight pantograph like the Baby Pendo one does get caught on something accidentally then it will get torn off.

I agree that spares for the pantograph need to be available but I think that there will need to be a other spares for the Pendolino held and sold by someone even if the Revolution guys are not able to spend the time doing it. Maybe set up an official spares dealer supplied with adequate stock in the way that Dapol and others outsource spares now. Couplings, chassis, motors, nosecones that sort of stuff. The bits that could get lost, broken or badly customised and either need replacing straight away or repaired when purchased/sold second hand.

Dave 

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We are reaching the approval phase for the CAD drawings.

This is coach U - in the 653XX range - which is one of the two vehicles that were manufactured later to strengthen the 9-car sets to 11-car sets.  These ones have a pantograph well but no pantograph.

post-420-0-94253800-1438381883_thumb.jpg

The part at far right is simply the coupler from the adjoining vehicle to allow the designer to check clearances, the kinematic envelope etc.

post-420-0-31631300-1438381883_thumb.jpg

This exploded drawing of the same vehicle shows the fit of the bodyshell and the seating unit - however the seats shown are an older version.

This is Coach J, a Motor First in the 694XX series:

post-420-0-63238000-1438381880_thumb.jpg

The Pantograph on the PTF and PTSRMB has been chanrged to more accurately depict the high speed tilting Brecknell Willis unit developed for the Pendolono:

post-420-0-80711400-1438381881_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-55143900-1438381882_thumb.jpg

Please ignore the "shine" on the windows that make them the same colour as the bodyshell - all vehicles will have separate glazing of course.

Finally, the cab interior. Sorry there's no driver - but the postioning of the desks, seats etc looks right!

post-420-0-15397500-1438381881.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a couple more showing the revised pantograph CAD and some improvements now made to the pantograph well of the cars.  I believe this pantograph differs from "standard" high speed pantographs because the base is asymmetric.

post-420-0-14976500-1438384393.jpg

post-420-0-25600100-1438384394_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 8

It's all starting to get very exciting! I'm really enjoying seeing the CAD updates for the Pendolino. As an aside, I noticed on the Gaugemaster website, they are taking orders for the Kato Eurostar 8 car set and the 4 car add-on set. Interestingly they also list the model in the new Eurostar livery too. I've had the original livery Eurostar for many years and it has always run beautifully. I may have to dip in and get a new livery one too. With this and the Pendolino, modern N scale EMU's are certainly getting the boost they deserve!

Doug.