N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

The way they have been drawn is with separate covers and light guides inside the body.

That is what I am expecting, anyway. I don't thinik it occurred to us or Rapido to do it like the Voyagers.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hey,

Sorry if I've missed it, but when do you'll plan on showing first tooling shots etc? And does the Pendolino have a certain window only to place orders?

And has the liveries been decided upon? If I finally decide on buying one I'd prefer the Pendolino with ALSTOM branding.

Edited by WDP4D

• RMweb Gold

Hi WDP4D,

The order book is open and will only close when the models are ready for production and we have to tell Rapido how many to manufacture. I anticipate this will be around November time, depending on how long we have to spend on the testing phase.

Once all the CADs are approved the files will be sent for tooling to start so that should be around the middle of this month, since as far as I can see we are pretty close to approving the CADs we have seen.

The selection for the liveries was completed in a vote of our customers about a month or so ago and 390104 Alstom Pendolino was one of the units selected. Our website will be updated shortly to allow current and future customers to confirm the model they want.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Mark,

Thanks for the kind words.

The problem with OO is that firstly I can't see Virgin giving us permission to compete with another product they have licensed and secondly the Hornby model has, I imagine, largely satisfied the market.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

A quick note to show that the CAD file for the driving cars has now been amended to incorporate the removable front hatch as a separate part.

On the finished models this can be unclipped to expose a NEM socket into which the modeller can fit an appropriate coupler.

Other details around the front and the prominent seam lines are also now present, though a couple of hatches to the side of the main headlights remain to be added.

post-420-0-98055200-1439417057_thumb.jpg

It does seem to be coming together well now!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

Hello all,

A quick note to show that the CAD file for the driving cars has now been amended to incorporate the removable front hatch as a separate part.

On the finished models this can be unclipped to expose a NEM socket into which the modeller can fit an appropriate coupler.

Other details around the front and the prominent seam lines are also now present, though a couple of hatches to the side of the main headlights remain to be added.

attachicon.gifDMSO 692xx 12-08-15 4.jpg

It does seem to be coming together well now!

cheers

Ben A.

Again...WOW! :O

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Last night - thanks to Virgin and Alstom - Legomanbiffo and I were invited to Longsight traincare depot in Manchester to make the recordings for our DCC Sound fitted Pendolino model.

post-420-0-80587900-1440602109_thumb.jpg

Longsight is arguably the home of the Pendolino fleet as it's where the major exams are carried out.  At the moment, the depot is going through the H4 programme which takes place at the 800,000 mile mark for each unit and sees bogies, couplers and pretty much everything else under the floor replaced or completely rebuilt.  One of those undergoing its H4 at the moment is 390103 - the Poppy Pendolino we are producing with a donation for each model sold to the Royal British Legion.

post-420-0-69159000-1440603010_thumb.jpg

We did some recording of these units (certain sounds could not be achieved elsewhere) however Legomanbiffo prefers to record out of doors to avoid recordings that are echoey.  

post-420-0-20293000-1440602597_thumb.jpg

Each night around 15 units arrive one by one, with the first at just after 10pm and an army of cleaners and fitters descend on them to get things ready for the next day.  Crewmembers will also be ready to fix any faults they've been pre-warned about by the train's own diagnostic system. Outside we were "loaned" 390107 for the majority of our recordings.

post-420-0-76644000-1440602736_thumb.jpg

Luckily the only precipitation came frome the front washers and wipers - who said Manchester was the rainy city?

post-420-0-20779700-1440602122_thumb.jpg

Legomanbiffo typically uses two separate recording devices and where possible had every sound repeated 4 or 5 times to ensure he captures the best sound; plus duplicate takes allow for a possible spanner being dropped in the background or similar extraneous sound that you don't notice during the actual recording session.

Longsight likes to be a good neighbour, so we had to get the horns all recorded before 11pm; however we there until the very early hours recording dozens of other noises.  I was amazed at how many different sounds an electric train makes. They included compressors and motors being started and stopped, doors opening and closing, the emergency coupler being deployed or retracted (this was a surprisingly distinctive noise, with a very satisfying clunk at the end!) and my own personal favourite, the panto up.  This makes a great sound - I remember reading once that Ben Burtt, the sound fx engineer for Star Wars, created the laser blast noises by tapping on the highly tensioned guy lines for communications masts, and listening to the pantograph head hitting the overhead contact wire I could believe it!

post-420-0-98883300-1440602152_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality of the photos - snapped in darkness on an iphone - but luckily the sounds are of great quality and will ensure that the chip in our DCC Sound fitted Pendolino is authentic and fun.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ash,

Yes, the order book will stay open right up until we actually order the models.  At that point we will order enough to fulfil the orders we have and that will be it.

I expect the period between our receiving samples and ordering the actual production run will be at least a month since we will want to test the models extensively but of course at the same time we are as keen as anyone to order the models as quickly as we can so our supporters get them sooner!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

That makes sense to me. Any quality issues would be a disaster with so many pre-orders, and damaging to Rapido as a relative newcomer to the UK market. So I'm sure people will be understanding of the need for thorough testing.

I suspect there will be an influx of orders once the sample breaks cover!

Ben

You may whave mentioned this before but a quick look back and didn't bring this up.

Will the wrking test sample be at Warley?

I think that was the plan.

Hoping for test shots for TINGS. If I remember correctly.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

All being well we will have first 3D prototyped samples for TINGS of each of the different bodyshells, though probably not fully assembled vehicles.  By Warley we hope to have a complete, working train.

However my experience with NGS products is that there are so many things that can add delays that it is very hard to say for sure what the progress will be.

Rest assured we will keep everyone as informed as we can via our own website, social media and this forum and the NGF.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eddie reffin

Ben/Mike, just a quick question. I have ordered 2x 9 car sets and my votes for the set numbers are both being produced. Will this be automatically registered or is there another way of confirming my chosen numbers please.

Cheers

Eddie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eddie

We would assume those you were the sets you wanted, but we will be checking with anyone who paid in full before we place the final production order.  For anyone who paid a deposit they will be able to select the set(s) when they pay their balance.

Cheers, Mike

Guest eddie reffin

Hi Eddie

We would assume those you were the sets you wanted, but we will be checking with anyone who paid in full before we place the final production order.  For anyone who paid a deposit they will be able to select the set(s) when they pay their balance.

Cheers, Mike

Excellent stuff, thanks Mike.

Really looking forward to next year to get my sets. The progress shots have been tantalising and the level of detail makes the £300 look an absolute bargain.

Cheers

Eddie

• 2 weeks later...

Some exquisite 3D printed bodyshells are part of the RevolutioN Trains display at the International N Gauge Show today and yesterday.. One motor car, one powered intermediate car, and one non-powered intermediate car. The detail is incrediblly fine, and the differences between the powered and non-powered unframe detail are very clear.

Some photos here.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=27778.210

Edited by mikeharvey22
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Back from a tiring but very enjoyable weekend at TINGS.  Thanks to everyone who came to say hello, or went away and ordered a Pendolino or TEAs, or registered their interest in a 21/129 or 320/321 or both!

post-420-0-27755700-1442184471_thumb.jpg

This evening I have provisionally approved the Pendolino CAD design for tooling.  Here are a couple of images showing the light clusters and the arrangement for the working table lamps in first:

post-420-0-26679300-1442184446_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-94348700-1442184388_thumb.jpg

Hopefully we'll receive test mouldings in around 6-8 weeks; maybe in time for Warley.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Well, CADs are approved; tooling is underway, all we can do is wait. 

As I explained to plenty of people at The International N Gauge Show this weekend, the schedule now works out roughly like this:  We hope to have moulded samples to look at in 6-8 weeks; hopefully for Warley where we will have a corner of Rapido's stand. 

The next step will be running samples and Mike and I have agreed that we will extensively debug these to be sure the trains will work as they should.  We will also be checking any livery samples we are sent.

Once everything is approved production will begin.  This is the point at which Rapido will ask us how many we want them to make and we close the order book.  We should be able to give everyone good notice of this but once the book is closed it's closed and we certainly won't see any more of these models for at least two years, and in my judgement probably longer.  So while there is no need to order immediately (though it would be nice) if you are tempted, or wavering, please keep an eye on here and on our website to ensure that you don't miss out.

I do not know how long production will take, but the key date following that is Chinese New Year, on February 8th.  Up to a week or so before many factories start winding down as workers leave to return home across China.   Production is then halted for anything up to a month, especially if workers don't return and need to be replaced.  

What this means for us is that if our models can leave the factory before the end of January and get shipped out we should get them 6 weeks later - ie mid March.  If they miss this deadine - and they may do, because we won't rush the approval and debugging stages - then allowing for the month break they won't get to the docks until mid-March, meaning they will get here around the beginning of May.

Since we are all in for a bit of waiting now, to calm us down (because I am as impatient as anyone to get them!) here are some arty, vaguely ethereal and Orientally inspired "zen-gauge" images of our final, approved Pendolino CAD-printed stereo litho model...

post-420-0-01755300-1442265418_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-56020100-1442265463_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-97753500-1442265459_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6