N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

Thanks for that-  very helpful.

At the International N Gauge Show a few people were asking about lights and couplers.

We had always planned for the model to have a prototypically removable front panel so it could be "dragged" over non-electrified lines.  Pendolinos have been deployed in this way along the Cambrian coast to Holyhead and over the Settle and Carlisle line during engineering works, usually in the company of Virgin or DRS Class 57 locomotives.

The panel simply pops off the front as shown, to reveal the NEM socket within.  A Rapido coupler can then be clipped in.

post-420-0-16181100-1442440975_thumb.jpg

It's too big for RM Web unfortunately, but I have uploaded a short clip of the coupler automatically deploying on the real thing to the news pages of our website www.revolutiontrains.com

As for lights, these are configured as the prototype with the left marker light and right headlight lit forward, and both tail lights illuminated in reverse.  In this image I have moved the lighting assembly parts down from inside the nose.

post-420-0-49619400-1442440974_thumb.jpg

An overview of the "exploded" power car shows the chassis, separate windscreen wipers, roof and underfloor details and other features. The PCB, speaker and motor are just drawn as correctly sized blocks as they are standard parts and to draw them in detail would waste time (and therefore cost money.)

post-420-0-65189500-1442440973_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Ben

Is the blue block above the leading end bogie the feed for the white light above the cab windscreen?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, on this image I have added the outlines which hopefully makes it clearer.   The blue blocks appear to be the LED arrays; the top one just for the top marker light, the lighter one below the cab console for the headlight, marker light and tail lights.

post-420-0-63267800-1442663143.jpg

Any other questions please feel free to ask, and I will answer if I can.  Now really we are just waiting for the models to come through with these parts all fitted together and working.  This is when the proper debugging process already mentioned can begin. 

As we all know, things can look wonderful in CAD, or in theory, but it's their real performance in practical situations that really needs to be tested!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the reply Ben. I can understand wanting to get extra weight in, but how are you getting around the first class end? If there are working lamps in the intermediate vehicles but not in the leading car, it might look a little odd. As lovely a detail as it is, it might be preferable to some people to not have them at all than only have them in the non-driving cars.

I'm basing that on both driving cars being powered, which I'm sure I read somewhere earlier in the thread. If that spec is wrong or has changed in the meantime then ignore me!

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ash,

Good point.  When we looked at this issue we noted that the configuration of the DMRF is such that the first three windows are taken up by the galley/kitchen and are (mainly) obscured, while of the remaining three windows, the seating confugration is such that only the rearmost window has a table lamp in it.

See these photos of each side:

post-420-0-11944400-1442673152_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-38433500-1442673177_thumb.jpg

(Both photos courtesy Tom Smith)

This detail on the drawings from Alstom confirms the photographic evidence.  Please note that while I am happy to post this image here for RM Webbers, it should not be reposted elsewhere:

post-420-0-14938600-1442673670_thumb.jpg

I found it surprising that even in first the trains would be designed such that some seats have a restricted or no view, but when travelling on these trains myself I have observed people actively choose seats next to pillars, so there are clearly some who prefer it.

Either way, we took the view that the single table light is not worth the additional expense of tooling an extra set of parts for the DMRF, especially if that has knock-on effects for the DMSO.

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the cars will have interior lighting but i take it we're years away yet from seeing working table lamps (as fitted in 1st class here) from appearing in N gauge coaches?

is this something Jason might comment on or would the cost just be too prohibitive?   I know he is a detail man and this would be the icing on the cake in terms of what you can actually see when the models on the track.  

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

Hello Thane,

If you look on the Revolution Trains website - www.revolutiontrains.com - under the news section and scroll down 3 or posts you'll see a CAD image showing hte interior of a first class vehicle and illustrating how the table lamps will work.

As pointed out a few posts ago, the driving car won't have table lights because it carries the chassis block, but due to the layout of the real thing this isn't a huge problem because only one bay has them.

cheers

Ben A.

I'm a OO modeller but I've been following this thread mainly just because I've been really impressed with the whole process and now it's looking like the N gauge 390 will be up there with the best N models ever produced. 

Hopefully we get more projects like this, across into OO too, which are so inclusive to modellers. Truly refreshing. 

Hallo,

Forgive me if this question is too stupid, but there has to be someone.

Is there a list of names for the backers to choose from? I have not been able to find one, though was trying to work it out from the graphic. I have put myself down for 2x 11car non-DCC (paid 50% deposit only) and would love to be able to choose 2 different City of '***

Not able to work out if that will be possible, so please point me in the right direction if the names list exists

Thanks in advance

es grüßt

pc

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The names are on our website under the news section - they've been selected now.

So order the train length that corresponds to the name you want, and just when we're ready to finalise the order we will ask you to confirm the particular unit you want.

The reason for this is to allow people to change their minds if they wish while they can!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the fast replies. Found the list of names. 

Will there be a "finalise your order" button for those of us who only paid 50% deposit so that the current order is carried forward to a new page where we can pay the balance due and in a required field add the desired names? It always appears as though I will be adding a new line item to the order.

es grüßt

pc

• RMweb Gold

Will there be a "finalise your order" button for those of us who only paid 50% deposit so that the current order is carried forward to a new page where we can pay the balance due and in a required field add the desired names? It always appears as though I will be adding a new line item to the order.

Hi PC

Yes, later this year we will create a mechanism for people to pay their balance and select the set name/number they would like.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hello Arran,

The couplers between the vehicles are a clip together pin-and-socket assembly that include power wires.  As designed they are a lot less obstrustive than the Hornby Brighton Belle couplers.

At each end (as shown on the CADs above) there is a regular NEM socket behind the removable nose panel to allow any NEM compatible coupler (Rapido, buckeye, easi-shunt) to be fitted so the model can be "dragged."

I can't upload them here now, but there are images showing the coupler arrangement on our website.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Rapido have sent us some photographs of the progress being made on the tooling for the Pendolino.

This image shows one of the glazing sprues for a first class vehicle.  As well as the main window strips top and bottom the door windows and table lamps can be seen in the centre of the sprue.

post-420-0-68634000-1446802349.jpg

This is the tool that sprue came from. Its size reflects the moulding pressure it needs to withstand.

post-420-0-77004900-1446802352_thumb.jpg

The next image shows the slide for moulding the roof of a vehicle with a Pantograph well.

post-420-0-49326600-1446802351_thumb.jpg

While this image shows the tool that will mould the coupler parts and some of the insulator pots and detail components that fit into the pantograph wells on the PTF and PTSRMB vehicles.

post-420-0-47325000-1446802350_thumb.jpg

Finally this is the copper electrode used to form the driving car tool by spar erosion.  Once the basic shape is formed from this tool then other details can be engraved in.

post-420-0-69064700-1446802353_thumb.jpg

There are more photos on the news pages of the Revolution Trains website, and several other images and more information in the customer-only Pendolino Development page.

We are hoping to have test shots from these moulds, and painted samples of our TEA tanker, on show at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC on November 28th and 29th where we are sharing a stand with Rapido Trains.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Many Thanks for the update Ben. 

A question if I may, are we looking at the front or rear of that window sprue? I ask because from the photo there appears to be a very heavy prism effect around the edges. 

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

I haven't a clue - all I have is that photo!  It'll be something to check when we actually receive the moulded samples.  They should be on show at Warley for everyone to look at.

The glazing for the driving cars (there is a pic on our website) looks to me to be pretty clear though, so it may be a trick of the light.

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

For anyone following this project we will have the first samples of the Pendolino on display on our stand C12 (we are sharing with Rapido) at Warley this weekend.

We have the DMSO and a trailer car - these were rushed to us from China for the show and were literally the first out of the tooling.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

A year ago Mike Hale and I had a handful of leaflets, but thanks to the incredible support we have received since then we were back this year with first EP samples of a Pendolino.

post-420-0-74824500-1448836487_thumb.jpeg

These samples were airfreighted in last week for the show, and have been produced from the tooling. The power car includes the chassis block but has no motor as yet.

We were delighted with the response, and even though there are a few flaws on these samples (they were put together in a hurry!) to us the shape and presence of the Pendolino has been beautifully captured by Rapido.

The next step is to receive an unpainted fully working sample to test run and double check, and then painted samples, and then we will be ready to go for production.

We are anticipating closing the order book at the end of March and just to reiterate we will not be producing any addicitonal models beyond those ordered by that date. If you aren't sure whether you want one, but are interested, you can register at our site for free newsletter updates to be emailed to you and we will be sending out reminders nearer the deadline.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 13