N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

Hi Ben,

Is the first image a combination or just the point cloud from the scan. Interesting how the laser, seems to have seen through the side of the car above the front bogie and the livery has come through.

Cheers, Mark.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

Yes - I thought that too.  I posted it because others might find it similarly intriguing!

I have no idea why it's happened - maybe it's where data from both sides has been combined in the software and the computer may have misinterpreted what the cloud was showing.  I think there is still skill involved in turning point clouds into useable CADs, but in terms of getting the curves right it is a definitely far better than hoping that the designer can interpret the complex curves from 2D drawings!

cheers

Ben A.

Mark,

when you say above the front bogie, do you mean when the white is on the livery?

If that's where you mean I can answer that one, as it is white and there would have been a thin film of water through moisture in the air it gives a mirror effect which while the human eye cant pick it up the laser does.

So when it's scanned it comes up with a mirror effect showing what ever is reflected on the white patch, due to the refraction of the light, that's where you can also see the livery coming through the returning laser beams will be a slightly different frequency than the emitted one showing the livery through.

The main thing the shape though will remain constant as that's done in relation to range and the calculation do from emitting to receiving the return.

Edited by acko22

Hi Acko22,

Yes, I'm talking about where the white is on the livery. It looks like the laser has either been absorbed or refracted away from the scanner, giving a less dense point cloud that we can effectively see through. As the scanner was moved around and the various point clouds combined, in this instance we can see through what should be a solid side onto the point cloud taken for the top of the bogie.

The first CAD image looks spot on, just looks to be an interesting effect from the scanning process.

Cheers, Mark.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Lyneux,

Wow - thanks for posting.  That looks great!

I'm hoping we will be able to show the model CADs within the next four weeks, I know work is underway on the drawing...

cheers

Ben A,.

Edited by Ben A

Since my next layout (to be built when back working full time after my degree) will be specifically designed to run the Pendolino on, I've started doing a few paper print outs to see what I can fit into the smallest reasonable space.

Luckily, I already have my 3D printed 390 to judge whether its going to work or not, so for those trying to imagine what an N gauge Pendolino will look like running on their own layouts, here's a glimpse!

David

post-6666-0-85455200-1427548495_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The thread's been quiet for a while, but plenty has been going on and we are expecting to see first CADs very soon.

Now it's time for our customers to vote on which 9 numbersets we will produce to go with 390103 Virgin Hero in Poppy Pendolino livery.

We are dedicating the whole of May to this.  From May 1st anyone who's ordered can go to the page that will appear on the Revolution Trains website and select the model they'd like, then, at midnight on May 31st, the 9 most popular will be the ones we produce.

As the orders are registered, a graphic display will show which are the most popular.  Bearing in mind that only the 9 most popular will be chosen, you may wish to change your selection as the deadline approaches.  Every order is good for one selection, so a customer who has ordered two models gets two chances to vote.  Once the deadline has passed anyone who hasn't chosen, or hasn't switched their choice to one of the top 9, will be asked to confirm which they want.

cheers

Ben A.

Can you give a rough indication of the split between different set sizes please? A split between "Virgin XXXX" and "City of XXXX" seems like a good idea to cater to all tastes.

Another good idea is to look at sets that were lengthened early (for the 11-car sets) or not at all (for the 9-car rakes) as these have the longest running lives. Also a few of the interesting alternative names that some have carried. Based on that, here are some ideas to get the ball rolling.

9-car sets

390001 Virgin Pioneer (1st of a class is always popular)

390005 City of Wolverhampton (one of the few remaining 9-car "City" Pendolinos)

390016 Virgin Champion

390022 Penny the Pendolino (for anyone with children ;) )

390042 City of Bangor on one side and Dinas Bangor on the other for interest

11-car sets

390114 City of Manchester Probably more Pendolinos run to heer than anywhere else

390124 Virgin Venturer for a nice touch of aliteration

390156 Stockport 170. The first 11-car Pendolino to enter service

390153 Mission Accomplished

• RMweb Gold

It is roughly 60:40 11-car to 9-car sets, but our strong suspicion is that 390103 (the Poppy Pendo) biases that (both because it is different and supporting a good cause)!

We're offering the sets as they are currently named ie 21 x 9-car sets and 35 x 11-car sets (we're not offering the Grayrigg crash set).

There are some interesting names to pick from and we have a couple of surprises....

Cheers, Mike

We're offering the sets as they are currently named ie 21 x 9-car sets and 35 x 11-car sets (we're not offering the Grayrigg crash set).

So you wouldn't be able to vote for a unit which is now an 11-car set, as a 9-car set? That's going to be a downer for me. My modelling is based on 2006, when all the sets were 9-car, but all the ones at the top of my list (City of Liverpool / Birmingham / Manchester in that order) have since been made up to 11 cars.

Actually, not many of the "City of.." units are still 9 cars long. It might be worth ensuring that at least one City name and one Virgin name are available in each of the 9 and 11 car units

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin

• RMweb Gold

So you wouldn't be able to vote for a unit which is now an 11-car set, as a 9-car set? That's going to be a downer for me. My modelling is based on 2006, when all the sets were 9-car, but all the ones at the top of my list (City of Liverpool / Birmingham / Manchester in that order) have since been made up to 11 cars.

Jim

Hi Jim

No, I'm afraid not - we felt that we had to draw a line somewhere.  We looked at allowing that, but it made the voting potentially very complicated and confusing - a similar situation exists for quite a few of the sets that have been re-named (some sets are already on their third name!).

Cheers,

Mike

How about 390137 Virg Indifference!

While I was not particularly keen on some of the origonal names, most of the replacements have been particularly insipid.

PS I do think that not offering any voting options for anything other then the current name/lengths is short sighted - if earlier variations were included and not popular then buyer cannot realy complain to much, but not offering any as an option is overly restrictive.

On a totally separate point have I missed a ban on modeling vehicles which have been involved in a fatal accident. I have had a Farish City of Glasgow and a Hornby Spitfire which where the main causes of the Harrow and Lewisham crashes. Or is it to avoid potential legal claims?

Edited by Bomag

Hi Jim

No, I'm afraid not - we felt that we had to draw a line somewhere.  We looked at allowing that, but it made the voting potentially very complicated and confusing - a similar situation exists for quite a few of the sets that have been re-named (some sets are already on their third name!).

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

I can see the logic of that, although it's a bit of a personal disappointment. I added an edit to my post while you were typing your reply, I suspect: would you consider guaranteeing that there would be at least one "City" name and at least one "Virgin" name available for both the 9- and 11-car sets? I could put up with "City of Wolverhampton" or "City of Lichfield" a lot more readily than most of the other 9-car options!

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

It's not up to us which models get selected but our customers - whichever models generate the most support will be the ones we do.  If enough people vote for 390005 City of Wolverhampton then it will be made, if those who've ordered 9-car options go for different versions then it won't.

The problem with offering both 9 and 11 car versions of the same numberset is that it makes correlating what's being produced very complex, and when you factor in that the Chinese are producing models with numerals they may well not understand Mike and I don't want to find ourselves in a position where we are having to unpack dozens of models to add (or remove) additional coaches because of an innocent administrative error.

As far as I am aware it's the first time anyone has offered customers the chance to democratically choose the models that are produced, and none of us really know what to expect.  If I am honest I am surprised that the majority of the posts today have seemed a little negative - I find myself wondering whether people prefer, in reality, the benevolent dictatorship which chooses models and offers them as a fait accompli!

I am anticipating that as the month progresses people will start to vote tactically - if a first choice is clearly not in the running, they might back a preferred second choice to ensure it gets over the line - so that in the end 9 clear winners emerge.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hello all,

As far as I am aware it's the first time anyone has offered customers the chance to democratically choose the models that are produced, and none of us really know what to expect.  If I am honest I am surprised that the majority of the posts today have seemed a little negative - I find myself wondering whether people prefer, in reality, the benevolent dictatorship which chooses models and offers them as a fait accompli!

cheers

Ben A.

Given that this is the first time people have had to stump up money for a mainstream RTR model before knowing which units are to modeled then yes you may get some negative responces when some arbitary restrictions are in place. I would not have gone for the second (nine car) unit if I had known that I would be limited to only those which have not been lengthend. A simple answer is that all permutations of number/length/name should be on the voting list. If you don't want to do the same model as both a 9 and 11 car set then the highest voting version is considered. If you get the same four units topping both lists then you may have to reconsider

Edited by Bomag

• RMweb Gold

How about 390137 Virg Indifference!

While I was not particularly keen on some of the origonal names, most of the replacements have been particularly insipid.

PS I do think that not offering any voting options for anything other then the current name/lengths is short sighted - if earlier variations were included and not popular then buyer cannot realy complain to much, but not offering any as an option is overly restrictive.

On a totally separate point have I missed a ban on modeling vehicles which have been involved in a fatal accident. I have had a Farish City of Glasgow and a Hornby Spitfire which where the main causes of the Harrow and Lewisham crashes. Or is it to avoid potential legal claims?

Hi Bomag,

The original names were largely based on Western names (Crusader, Pioneer etc) or on the LMS tradition of namechecking proiminent destinations.

Some of the revised names may not be to everyone's taste, and I imagine some will generate very little support.

While there is no rule against making models of vehicles in which people died - there is no shortage of Titanic kits, after all - Mike and I felt that as the Grayrigg crash was recent it would be insensitive to offer it, so we decided not to.  If we had, I  don't think many people would have selected it.  What do others think?  An overly squeamish approach, or a fair one under the circumstances?

cheers

Ben A.