N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

It's all starting to get very exciting! I'm really enjoying seeing the CAD updates for the Pendolino. As an aside, I noticed on the Gaugemaster website, they are taking orders for the Kato Eurostar 8 car set and the 4 car add-on set. Interestingly they also list the model in the new Eurostar livery too. I've had the original livery Eurostar for many years and it has always run beautifully. I may have to dip in and get a new livery one too. With this and the Pendolino, modern N scale EMU's are certainly getting the boost they deserve!

Doug.

I'd love one of those Eurostars, but heard the are 1:160 scale. If anyone comes up with a 1:148 scale one, I'd gladly get one.

Just been looking at Revolution trains website & although a Pendolino is too modern for my layout,in the ideas for a future model,i wonder if there would be enough support for a Cl.76 or 77 Woodhead electric.I would certainly want one or two.

Sorry to hijack the thread for one post,

Ray.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We have this morning received revised CAD drawings for the various interiors of the Pendolino passenger cars. These were altered following feedback so the seat profiles now have the curved top of the prototype and now have luggage racks, vestibles, partitions etc.  Other refinements have been made as explained below.

This is the standard class interior as used in coaches E, F and U:

post-420-0-94360200-1438511098_thumb.jpg

The other standard cars, B and D, have the same seating pattern but with a disabled toilet:

post-420-0-06904200-1438511062_thumb.jpg

These are the equivalent first class interiors - Coach J:

post-420-0-27085300-1438511063_thumb.jpg

Coaches G and H:

post-420-0-45431500-1438511321_thumb.jpg

Rapido's designers have done an amazing job with the details. As an example, compare the Alstom drawing of the shop car with the CAD. Note the servery counter and the small guard's cabin, next to the shop area, with a correctly different seat with armrests:

post-420-0-84643300-1438510501_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-94508900-1438510498_thumb.jpg

They've also tooled the different types of table in each cabin - plain and twin-leaf with fold-up sections - as this image shows.

post-420-0-46446200-1438511061.jpg

While the first class cabins also have the coffee stations correctly depicted:

post-420-0-23143600-1438511435.jpg

We've now approved the bodyshells previously shown, as there was no adverse comment, and I am planning to approve these too.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 8

Having seen the detail you have added, I will be severely disappointed if on the DCC-Sound versions the toilet door closing does not result in the "please don't flush sanitary towels, nappies, your hopes and dreams, goldfish or your ex's sweater down the pan" announcement.

Seriously though, as someone who has recently "dropped down" from 00 to N gauge, the detail to the interior is what I thought was beyond 00 never mind N gauge! Excellent stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Build the layout and order as many as you need - there aren't many newly released models where you could start immediately with ten different ones!

I have to say I am very happy with those interiors - especially that they have tooled different interiors for cars with plain or disabled loos. It almost seems a shame they'll be largely disguised behind smoked glass!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Just got a question, if you don't mind me asking... In one of the previous images of the CAD work
(http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-420-0-94253800-1438381883.jpg) it shows the type of coupling that's going to be used. Seems to be something new. Is this a close-coupling mechanism? If so does this mean that the gangway connections will be made of rubber?

Edited by WDP4D

Hi Ben,

Just got a question, if you don't mind me asking... In one of the previous images of the CAD work (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-420-0-94253800-1438381883.jpg) it shows the type of coupling that's going to be used. Seems to be something new. Is this a close-coupling mechanism? If so does this mean that the gangway connections will be made of rubber?

at the right hand end the gray bit under the pink looks like a N NEM pockit

Edited by mozzer models

Hi Gang,

All the different CADs for the interiors bode well for the finished model. If the attention to detail for these less than visible items is so great, then we should be gasping with anticipation about the quality of the bits we do see. the attention given to the pantograph is a case in point. I know that Ben and Mike's standards aware set at a high level for this model and the patience and dedication to getting things right is creditable. I'm very pleased at how this is turning out so far and I think that the decision to go with Rapido on this is undoubtedly paying dividends.

I look forward to seeing samples at TINGS and Warley....

More grease to your elbow gents....

Regards,

Stu from EGDL.

Ps...Did someone say 92???

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks for the kind words!  To try to answer a couple of direct questions:

Tinted Glazing - we will do it so it's tinted to about the same amount as the prototype.  That is, dark but not so dark the interior cannot be seen at all.

Couplers - the models have standard NEM sockets on the usual expanding "kinematic" mountings.  On the prototype the coupler is inside the gangway bellows, so it makes sense for us to replicate this if possible, provided lateral clearance allows.  This, I believe, is what was being "virtually" tested in the CAD shown.  The ganways themselves are, like Kato Japanese models or Farish Mk1s, hard plastic.

In terms of other detailing, it's clear that the designers have put a lot of work into getting this right.  Of course, a CAD is only a CAD and when it comes to physically tooling these models we may need further small changes to ensure, for example, that the component isn't too fragile and snaps when it's being ejected from the tool, or that it fits as it should.  But these issues will be sorted out during the next phase of the development, when the factory starts moulding and test-assembling the parts.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Build the layout and order as many as you need - there aren't many newly released models where you could start immediately with ten different ones!

I have to say I am very happy with those interiors - especially that they have tooled different interiors for cars with plain or disabled loos. It almost seems a shame they'll be largely disguised behind smoked glass!

cheers

Ben A.

We were talking about Lancaster yesterday. We thought BR

Blue 1980's would be best.

Only joking!

I need more space to store the layouts first but also need to see if it will fit in the space between the fiddleysrd boards for Banbury before going too far with this idea.

Ian

EDIT - just realised why I wasnt seeing others posts on this thread.

I had accidentally clicked on 'ignore' - situation correct now.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We've received the CAD drawing for the DMSO vehicle - coach A.  There are some details missing - windscreen wipers, wiper covers, and some of the panel lines now need to be defined but it is certainly looking good to us...

post-420-0-86456800-1438643882_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-52692100-1438643880_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-61096500-1438643878_thumb.jpg

The fine lines over the light clusters are just part of the CAD software and obviously won't appear on the finished model.

Unfotunately the CAD viewer I am using does not allow me to make the glazing clear, or show the interior.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 13

Hallo,

This is really hotting up to be a great model. Very much looking forward to it being released.

Will the coupling mechanisms be spaced such that the corridor connections are for all intents and purposes touching on straight track as can be done with the Blue Riband Farish MK1s?

Have I already mentioned that this is really hotting up to be a great model?

es grüßt

pc

Guys,

Even at the time I placed my order I couldn't in my wildest dreams have thought so much detail would be incorporated into the model. I know it's still at the CAD stage but it's looking fantastic so far.

It looks like setting a new standard for the UK modern n gauge scene and it should really make the big boys sit up and look / listen. Also bodes well for the TEAs. Better make the 92 available to "drag" to - well here's hoping ;-)

I know many have already said so, but thanks again for making this happen.

John

• RMweb Gold

Helllo alll,

David - yes, the seam line is one detail that is being fed back.

PC - the close coupling mech will be designed to offer optimal performance and appearance. The issue, as I have mentioned before, is lateral clearance because the coupler bar should be inside the gangway diaphragm. This is something that I know is being looked at as can be seen from the CAD of the 653XX vehicle posted previously.

Sitting here now I can't see any reason they won't be as good as the Farish Mk1 couplers, but we can't be certain until we are able to physically test running samples and identify any bugs.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Now, that, looks awesome! Thanks again Ben for the update. 

I was wondering how the light clusters will be dealt with. Will they simply be holes in the right position with clear inserts and black paint used to represent the glazed area, like the Farish Voyager, or will there be some attempt to represent the clear cover with the lights set back behind this?

Tom.